KMPlayer threatening me :-D

• Download the KMPlayer via official route or we will STRONGLE you!

• @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

Download
    the KMPlayer via official route or we will STRONGLE you!

TRWTF - WTF is "The KMPlayer"???

(Although I now secretly love the word STRONGLE...)

• @SuperJames74 said:

WTF is "The KMPlayer"

nice little movie player. suits all my needs and lights up my day with that popup everytime from now on.

what's so TRWTF-y about that?

• @SuperJames74 said:

Yet another half-working media player for Windows.

•  @ender said:

I moved to MPC after VLC chocked on a 1080p rip of The Dark Knight*, while MPC was able to run it fine even when I fucked around with all those useless filters, like multi-tiling/sepia/edgefinding etc.

VLC may have fixed itself currently, but by now I'm happy happy happy with MPC and not looking back.

*) with all the slow helicopter shots of cityscapes, it really is an excellent practical stress test of your favourite x264 decoder.

• Erm, what graphics card have you got to NOT have all h.264 decoded on-GPU? VLC supports this. WMP supports this. Can't speak for iTunes. Flash supports this.

• @nexekho said:

VLC supports this.

Very, very crappily, apparently. I'm not sure what version I used. It was older, I think, than the one current when The Dark Knight was already out of cinemas. I looked around the VLC site, and found that a speed-up for the decoder was in the works, but I was already an MPC convert.

Maybe for kicks I'll get it again and retry the movie.

• @nexekho said:

Erm, what graphics card have you got to NOT have all h.264 decoded on-GPU? VLC supports this. WMP supports this. Can't speak for iTunes. Flash supports this.

Erm, wouldn't that be any graphics card older than a couple of years. I don't think any of my 4 laptops can do this.

•  I know off-topic, but another high-five for MPC from me.

• @dsckeld said:

@nexekho said:

Erm, what graphics card have you got to NOT have all h.264 decoded on-GPU? VLC supports this. WMP supports this. Can't speak for iTunes. Flash supports this.

Erm, wouldn't that be any graphics card older than a couple of years. I don't think any of my 4 laptops can do this.

How do you play Fallout 3?

• I like Media Player Classic, but every install of it I've had doesn't play WMV files properly.  This is across multiple codec sets, multiple computers, multiple GPUs, and multiple versions of Windows.  (Currently using CCCP 2010-10-10)

Strangely, Windows Media Player has no problems with these files using the same codec packs.

• @blakeyrat said:

How do you play Fallout 3?

With a pixelshader hack, you can play it on a 9600.

Without heads.

• @ender said:

@SuperJames74 said:

The real WTF is that they didn't bother to come up with a unique name for their software. The "KMPlayer" I'm familiar with is a KDE frontend to the MPlayer media player, and I strongly suspect it pre-dates this thing.

• @Carnildo said:

@ender said:
    @SuperJames74 said:
    The real WTF is that they didn't bother to come up with a unique name for their software. The "KMPlayer" I'm familiar with is a KDE frontend to the MPlayer media player, and I strongly suspect it pre-dates this thing.

You act as though people writing software for Windows consider programs for Linux worthy of notice.

• @Carnildo said:

@ender said:
    @SuperJames74 said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

On media players under Windows: Just use Media Player Classic, goddammit!

• @powerlord said:

WMV files

Those still exist? For other purposes than viruses / worms / redirects to random web pages? And to provide video in a quality that's worth the effort to have a software supporting it?

• @dhromed said:

@ender said:

I moved to MPC after VLC chocked on a 1080p rip of The Dark Knight*, while MPC was able to run it fine even when I fucked around with all those useless filters, like multi-tiling/sepia/edgefinding etc.

VLC may have fixed itself currently, but by now I'm happy happy happy with MPC and not looking back.

There are basically two popular video file formats on windows:

i) - those that vlc will play but mplayerc crashes on 

b) - those that mplayerc will play but vlc crashes on

3) - other.

• @DescentJS said:

@Carnildo said:

@ender said:
    @SuperJames74 said:

You act as though people writing software for Windows consider programs for Linux worthy of notice.

actually, as far as I know, it's supposed to be Win port of that very (K)MPlayer. but I'm not entirely sure, and too lazy to check it.

• Garbage Person

@SEMI-HYBRID code said:

actually, as far as I know, it's supposed to be Win port of that very (K)MPlayer. but I'm not entirely sure, and too lazy to check it.

Nope. It has no resemblence whatsoever. It's actually short for Kang Multimedia Player and was developed by some anime geeks (one of whom was named Kang) who needed to be able to fiddle with and micromanage audio resync and alternative audio streams (for their horrible dubbing) and subtitles (for their horrible subtitling)

Technically, it isn't called kmplayer at all - that's the name the initial userbase gave it.

It also uses ffmpeg and potentially other gpl code without providing source or even acknowledgement - so you have two reasons not to use it:

1) It's tainted with the blood of tentacle-raped virgin schoolgirls who are [i]totally[/i] over the age of 18
    2) They're worse at stealing GPL code than Microsoft.

• @DaveK said:

@dhromed said:

@ender said:

There are basically two popular video file formats on windows:

i) - those that vlc will play but mplayerc crashes on 

b) - those that mplayerc will play but vlc crashes on

3) - other.

۴) I actually had some videos that played in MPC-HC (Media Player Classic Homecinema), VLC, and the Windows version of the "linux" MPlayer... but only that last one played them with sound.
    Oh yeah, and it crashed the SMPlayer frontend.

• @bannedfromcoding said:

Oh yeah, and it crashed the SMPlayer frontend.

Aww, not SMPlayer!! :(