Big money in freelance web design!

• Now here are some people who know just what they want:

"ABSOLUTELY NO TEMPLATES - ONLY UNIQUE WORK We need a creative, attractive front-end and over-all design. We are looking for an original artist who can combine concepts from several different sites into ours (we will give u examples).

We are looking for full website/online solution.

1. CMS to manage our website (products description, price, categories, sub-categories, products variants, shipping module, content manager, image manager, seo adding meta tags and description, promotional/discount code manager, inventory, custom reports, media manager with automatic image resizing and watermarking, promotional tool like recent view products, similar products, send to friend, RSS Feed, social networking.

2. A complete accounting program, ideally web based that will automatically manage the payments of our clients, the payments to our suppliers, sync shopping carts with partial automatic CC payments, shipping options, the inventory, billing, invoicing...Creating reports on inventories and sales.

3. CRM application mass email,

4. Critical requirement Search Engine Optimization (SEO) - Google site map and .html pge for better seo. Be able to do Google Analytics and Reporting. Be linked to social networking websites.

Listing with all Australian business directories.

5. Easy to amendment and modify as this website will need ongoing changes to keep up with the changes in market and technology.

6. I don't mind what it’s developed in php or .net or any other but it should run smooth. We will take source code at final delivery.

7. search - based on brand, category, price and filter the result to the fitest.

8. SSL and Payment integration with paypal, Bpay and other Australian payment gates

9. Mobile friendly (mobile application so user can open the site on mobile)

10. Affiliate program

11. No upfront payment, 10% on design and html, 30% on alpha version, 30% beta version, final delivery with source code 30%)

12. I want to see demo and other ecommerce websites you have done earlier. Demo should include front and back end both."

Well, it sounds like a lot, doesn't it? But don't worry - I'm sure the pay is commensurate with the amount of work involved.

Well... or, maybe not.

Nice, eh? Well, you could argue that it's just an absurd asking price from a deluded poster. But that doesn't explain the four people who applied for the job.

Have fun yourself - oDesk is a veritable smorgasbord of opportunity. Copy writing jobs which require you to rewrite fifty book reviews (so they pass plagiarism filters, obviously), 500 words a pop, for $4 each? Entire web sites designed - with content - in two days, for $100? Steady work doing technical writing, IT admin, and audio production, for under $4/hour, with 400 hours of oDesk experience required? Check, check, check, and check!

It's a brave new world, gentlemen - thanks to the miracle of the internet, we're now worth less than a 16-year-old burger flipper in Tulsa.

• @PeriSoft said:

It's a brave new world, gentlemen - thanks to the miracle of the internet, we're now worth less than a 16-year-old burger flipper in Tulsa.

To people like that, yes, yes we are.  But there are a couple things to consider:

A serious client, such as an enterprise business, wouldn't post a job on oDesk.  They would hire an entire firm to do it, and be ready to pony up more than a hundred clams.

This guy, who is probably the next 17 year old "genius" who has the next FaceTubeSpace in mind, would be hell to work with to begin with, has no money (I'd be amazed if he could come up with a hundred bucks), and, if he does manage to get this done by someone, it will no doubt be done in the poorest of poor small countries somewhere east of nowhereistan, be completely unusable, unmaintainable, and unimaginably bad.  Any money he manages to make will then be pissed away on new coders who try and figure out what the HELL those people were smoking when they took that job.

• @Master Chief said:

@PeriSoft said:

To people like that, yes, yes we are.

People outside of IT have no idea how long things take which is probably due to the relative newness of the industry.  I wonder if people in other professions get similarly ludicrous requests as the OP? 

• I'd try to negotiate about 50,000% upfront, with an additional 50,000% on completion…

Oh, and about that deadline…

• @RTapeLoadingError said:

@Master Chief said:

@PeriSoft said:

People outside of IT have no idea how long things take which is probably due to the relative newness of the industry.  I wonder if people in other professions get similarly ludicrous requests as the OP? 

I work for a nameless government contractor - it happens all the time there, only there tend to be a few more orders of magnitude involved in the pricing scheme (get $5M project done for $20K). I'm on one of those projects now, and its taught me the art of telling the CO no without getting in trouble.

• @RTapeLoadingError said:

@Master Chief said:

@PeriSoft said:

Absolutely. Ever read http://notalwaysright.com?

•  Or [url]http://clientsfromhell.net[/url]!

• @Xyro said:

Or http://clientsfromhell.net!

Thanks, I totally needed another productivity sink.

*seriously though, awesomeness. :D

• @Xyro said:

Or http://clientsfromhell.net!

I'm still reading.

Damn You!!!

• This is much more common than you think... I see it all the time. Part of the issue is most of the replies people get on sites like oDesk or Rent-A-Coder are from Indians and Pakistanis living in India/Pakistan so $100 to us is a small fortune to them, and they're more than willing to work for that. So businesses think that programming is cheap because "My fellow cheapskate con-artist hired three programmers off oDesk for $250, what do you mean this site will cost me $25,000?!".

It's worse when you see listings on Craigslist that want similar, from supposedly legitimate, established businesses (as opposed to some snake oil salesman with a "great idea")