OS-X Update WTF?!?!?!?

• @PJH said:

@blakeyrat said:
    So if I'm wrong, you're going to have to spell it out in a bit more detail.
    Post edited while you were replying.

Look, you get two choices:

1) Install automatically

2) Do not install automatically

Pick one.

It's really that simple.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

No.

You're ignoring the alleged group policies that introduce:

3) Install automatically, but don't automatically reboot when you get bored of the user ignoring your dialog.

From the link:

No Auto-restart for Scheduled Automatic Update Installation Options

This policy specifies that to complete a scheduled installation, Automatic Updates will wait for the computer to be restarted by any user who is logged on, instead of causing the computer to restart automatically.
    Emphasis added for the hard of understanding.

• @blakeyrat said:

Look, Microsoft already solved all your problem: it's called "download updates, but don't install".
    This would have all been fine and dandy, if I didn't witness several computers that were set to "Download, don't install" install an update and reboot - first of these was a Windows 2000 server, the rest were XP. Microsoft apparently thought that some update is so important that the machine has to be rebooted (almost) immediately - all of these machines popped up a dialog box warning you to save your work, because the machine will start a reboot sequence in 60 seconds (and no, this wasn't the same dialog that appears when you schedule a shutdown - it was from the Windows Update service) - there was a Cancel button in this dialog, but it was greyed out (I later learned that you could cancel the reboot by running net stop wuauserv, though by the time I knew that, I haven't experienced this problem again).

• @EJ_ said:

My favorite way to make it "permanently" stop asking until I'm damn ready is just to move the window off the edge of the screen.

Almost all of those windows I've seen have some form of countdown timer, so it will reboot a short time after it appears, making this method impossible. Of course there's usually a button to stop the reboot, but then the window returns after about 15 minutes.

• @powerlord said:

@El_Heffe said:

@blakeyrat said:

Do you people think Windows reboots just to annoy you?

No.  But that is the end result of a poor design that requires a reboot after every little change -- even, ironically, changing a setting that prevents the computer from rebooting unnecessarily.

Programs only read their configurations when they start up.  How is this a surprise?

You haven't ever written a callback, have you?

• @PJH said:

@blakeyrat said:

No.

You're ignoring the alleged group policies that introduce:

3) Install automatically, but don't automatically reboot when you get bored of the user ignoring your dialog.

From the link:

No Auto-restart for Scheduled Automatic Update Installation Options

This policy specifies that to complete a scheduled installation, Automatic Updates will wait for the computer to be restarted by any user who is logged on, instead of causing the computer to restart automatically.
    Emphasis added for the hard of understanding.
    He's ignoring it because you only get that if your administrator has
    set up WSUS and enabled the policy. I can't use this at home, and it's
    more effort than it's worth to use WSUS here at work for 30 computers. I
    want:

3) Install updates automatically but wait for confirmation before rebooting.

available in the fucking Windows Update configuration.

• @elgate said:

@Zemm said:
    Isn't that the Mac equivalent of a BSOD?

Yes, his Mac kernel-panicked, aka CRASHED. Mug award!

Better than Halt and Catch Fire

• @powerlord said:

Poorly written Programs only read their configurations when they start up.  Others detect when you have made changes and adjust accordingly.

FTFY.

• @Shortjob said:

"Halt and Catch Fire, known by the mnemonic HCF, refers to several computer machine code instructions that cause the CPU to cease meaningful operation. The expression "catch fire" is usually intended as a joke; in most cases the CPU does not actually catch fire."

In most cases??

• Well, they do heat up and start melting, leaving burn marks. There's usually even smoke, although by the time you open the case, it's usually gone. I've never seen a flame though.

• @Sir Twist said:

I want:

3) Install updates automatically but wait for confirmation before rebooting.

available in the fucking Windows Update configuration.

See, you're missing the point... Windows in some cases cannot replace files that are "in use"... and even when it can, the "new" version on disk is different from the "old" version loaded into system and apps, which may introduce incompatibilities and crash (not to mention that the running apps aren't actually patched because they still have the old version loaded).

You can't "install but not reboot", because it's not fully installed until rebooted.Your computer between the moment of installation and the moment of reboot exists in an unstable, inconsistens, unsupported state.

And THAT's what the "download but not install" option (And the "download when I say, don't install untill I say again" one) is for. When you get the "There are downloaded updates" balloon, you just carry on, then at end of the day go to Shutdown, choose "Install patches then shutdown", go home/to bed/watch TV/make supper/fuck someone/whatever, and next day when you power on you're booted into a consistent, patched OS.

• @El_Heffe said:

@Shortjob said:

"Halt and Catch Fire, known by the mnemonic HCF, refers to several computer machine code instructions that cause the CPU to cease meaningful operation. The expression "catch fire" is usually
    intended as a joke; in most cases the CPU does not actually catch fire."

In most cases??

Yup, see the example of the "literal HCF" opcode in the Motorola CPU in the article...

• @bannedfromcoding said:

You can't "install but not reboot", because it's not fully installed until rebooted.Your computer between the moment of installation and the moment of reboot exists in an unstable, inconsistens, unsupported state.
    In that case, it should be smart enough to be able to install only the ones that do not require rebooting, and roll back anything that does, saving them to install later.

I'm just trying to get Windows to stop bugging me about Windows Defender updates without having unexpected reboots in the middle of the night.

• Future reference? Like, "sane systems have had this option for decades" kind of future reference? Oh, wait: Windows programming. Never mind - apparently every kind of wheel since the Bronze Age has to be reinvented there.

• :belt_onion:

@piskvorr said:

Future reference? Like, "sane systems have had this option for decades" kind of future reference? Oh, wait: Windows programming. Never mind - apparently every kind of wheel since the Bronze Age has to be reinvented there.

sigh Another Windows ignorant. Also please quote the person you're replying to.

If you use the standard [url="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.configuration.configurationmanager.aspx"]ConfigurationManager[/url] class, any change to the configuration file is automatically reloaded into the configuration cache. This class exists since .NET2.0. In earlier versions there was another class (now deprecated) that did the same.