Do we really need a new way to close a window?

• @Everybody said:

Argh, the ribbon sucks.

You all *do* know you can turn the ribbon off, right? Then the interface becomes more or less like Microsoft just moved everything around in the menus, which is par for the course with their new releases IME. Also, you can customize the list of little quick shortcut icons next to the office logo/button.

• @aliquot said:

@Everybody said:

Argh, the ribbon sucks.

You all *do* know you can turn the ribbon off, right? Then the interface becomes more or less like Microsoft just moved everything around in the menus, which is par for the course with their new releases IME. Also, you can customize the list of little quick shortcut icons next to the office logo/button.

How dare you?  Bitching should not be contaminated nor impeded by facts

• @aliquot said:

You all do know you can turn the ribbon off, right?
    How?

• @aliquot said:

@Everybody said:

Argh, the ribbon sucks.

You all *do* know you can turn the ribbon off, right? Then the interface becomes more or less like Microsoft just moved everything around in the menus, which is par for the course with their new releases IME.

I actually did not know that. Is that new in 2010?

• Can one of you, uh, old-timers* tell me why there's no two-key shortcut to maximize the focused window in Windows? There's a couple ways to minimize windows (although technically they perform different functions), but nothing to maximize. I long ago mastered the alt-space-x sequence, but it's not very elegant

*with reverenance, of course.

• @Nexzus said:

Can one of you, uh, old-timers* tell me why there's no two-key shortcut to maximize the focused window in Windows? There's a couple ways to minimize windows (although technically they perform different functions), but nothing to maximize. I long ago mastered the alt-space-x sequence, but it's not very elegant

Well, Alt+space/X is two key. Is double-click on the title bar acceptable for you?

• @Nexzus said:

Can one of you, uh, old-timers* tell me why there's no two-key shortcut to maximize the focused window in Windows?

They added one in Windows 7: Windows+Up.

• @MiffTheFox said:

@Nexzus said:

Can one of you, uh, old-timers* tell me why there's no two-key shortcut to maximize the focused window in Windows?

They added one in Windows 7: Windows+Up.

Hah. Learn something new everyday. Thank you.

• @@Deprecated said:

BTW, your thread has been hijacked for the purposes of MS bashing.  Mwa ha ha.

I've been trying to help a workmate tame the wild beast that is Microsoft Word for Mac. We have a 20 page document that consists of a large two-column table with text and images. It is impossible to work with it: grab an image and move it just a little bit causes it to disappear, or the rest of the page to disappear, or the entire thing to jump around randomly. Or copying and pasting causes things to go to a random page, not where either cursor is. Or scroll and wait for a good 30 seconds for the screen to redraw itself. This is on a 6-month old 27' iMac with 4GB of RAM and the only things running are Word and Mail. This guy probably has too high expectations as he is more used to Page Maker or Quark!

• Today I visited the image-hosting site I mentioned in my original post and discovered that when vieiwng pictures, the "x" is now in the upper right where it belongs.  Cool.