New ideas, ubuntu, linux, start up, new company

• I have a large cluster of computers that were given to me by my last employer, I'm a software engineer that loves new projects, I have a total of 25 servers that are about 2 years old, i would love to start a non-profit, or link the servers up for some type of project, also im running ubuntu, im tired of windows,,,,looking for any help or new ideas,,,

• @alimsabree said:

I have a large cluster of computers that were given to me by my last employer, I'm a software engineer that loves new projects, I have a total of 25 servers that are about 2 years old, i would love to start a non-profit, or link the servers up for some type of project, also im running ubuntu, im tired of windows,,,,looking for any help or new ideas,,,

Check your power bill. Odds are running those servers are more expensive than renting servers from Amazon Web Services (or another cloud provider.)

•  I no the company had tons of software an hard ware, I just don't want
    this stuff to go to waste, there was a 8 man team using all this, I no
    if I put together a nice team of programers we can make something out
    of this, also there are Endace NIC cards 5 and a GPS unit and a Naval
    time clock system,

• Wow.  Just....wow.

How about developing a web based ERP/MRP system?   Your security would have to be pretty tight in order to service multiple clients, and your fee structure might be complicated.  You would also need heavy duty band-width if it took off.  You could target small businesses with tight margins.

Contract packaging manufacturers might be a good target industry as they have low margins and none of the pre-packaged systems out there really "gets" them.  A properly designed system targetted at them would still be flexible enough to easily adapt to other industries, and by making it web based you could state lowered cost of ownership as they could use older machines on their front end to connect to your back end.

You'd need redundancy and iron clad back up and recovery in place.  I wouldn't go with Linux though.  Well, maybe for the database server.