More active programmer forums?

• Do you know of any good forums for programmers? (Actually, forums for non-programmers could be OK too. I'm interested in general discussion and less in specific programming questions.) By "good" I mean reasonably active and with reasonably mature people (so more interesting discussions and less lolcats). This forum has interesting people, but the forum itself is not very active and most of the discussion is in comments.

• This board is fairly active, however there's also cprogramming.com.

• I'll put in a plug for The Daily WTF as active. For another place to go, try Stack Overflow. The chaff quickly gets weeded out by the self-moderating feature of the site.

• @sheldon said:

most of the discussion is in comments.
    I'm confused as to what you mean by this.

Could you elaborate?

• Thanks Lingerance and sinistral.

@belgariontheking said:

@sheldon said:

most of the discussion is in comments.
    I'm confused as to what you mean by this.

Could you elaborate?

I mean that for example in the "General Discussion" forum there are 8 threads that have been updated within the last week, with a total of about 90 messages (most of which were probably posted earlier than last week). There is much more activity in the comments to stories on the main site.

• Garbage Person

More generalist forums...

If you can put up with rampant Cambridgeism and Massholism, and general east coast liberalism (which is different than west coast liberalism because the liberals believe themselves to be entitled but oppressed rather than fighting for the right to be entitled) the xkcd forums aren't bad at all (or at least they weren't when I was last in the neighborhood).

Otherwise, find an interest that ISN'T computers and find some forums related to that.  I tend to find high concentrations of IT people on car forums (if you're into cars or even just vaguely interested, PM me - I have a really good recommendation that I won't post outright because it links two of my mutually exclusive online identities),  gun forums, and science fiction forums.

• @sheldon said:

There is much more activity in the comments to stories on the main site.
    Ah, I was afraid that this was what you meant.

I consider the front page comments to be largely worthless, and even when I was reading every post on the forums every day, I didn't bother with the front page comments.  Volume is definitely not quality in this case.

The meat of this forum is in the Sidebar, as you probably know, so I'm not sure why you're mentioning the General Discussion forum as any kind of measure. 

• Actual insightful discussion instead of taking pot shots or making witticisms takes more then just a few minutes. I don't know about the other people on this forum, but I generally only look at this forum during my lunch brake or in spare minutes. When I get home I generally don't follow discussions on the forum as closely as I would during working hours. I assume this is more or less the same for most people on this forum.

On average I think we are lacking some seed discussions. Some general topics about arguable best practices or age old debates that aren't old and tired. ( I'm looking at you SQL injection and password hashing)

Granted though, my cynical apathetic nature does seem to have attained critical mass and the amount of not-caring when I see someone being plainly wrong on the internet is failing to tempt me to post a correcting reply. 

• Weng, thanks a lot.

@belgariontheking said:

The meat of this forum is in the Sidebar, as you probably know, so I'm not sure why you're mentioning the General Discussion forum as any kind of measure. 

Because I'm more interested in general discussion. The sidebar is not that; it deals with a rather specialized topic. A fun and interesting topic, yes, but it's not a general discussion. So my question was, what are some forums where the "general discussion-equivalent" part is active.

• I'm addicted to the site and more than happy to give questionable advice on any subject I believe I might have insight on.  heck, i even ansered a ridiculously open-ended question with a request for details just today.  Of course the answer to my request was an even more open ended request, but whatever.

• Hey, if you want discussion, start it. Don't wait for others to bring it to you, you're part of the system like everybody else.

I also frequent hydrogenaudio and somethingleet, but HA is rather specific to serious audio and tech, so no What My Dog Did 2Day Lol stories there, and SL has just been relaunched so there's precious little meat on them bones yet*.

*) the Epic Gif Thread has already begun worming its vile roots into the community, though, so that's good.

•  @sheldon said:

Do you know of any good forums for programmers? (Actually, forums for non-programmers could be OK too. I'm interested in general discussion and less in specific programming questions.) By "good" I mean reasonably active and with reasonably mature people (so more interesting discussions and less lolcats). This forum has interesting people, but the forum itself is not very active and most of the discussion is in comments.

Although some may scoff at this, I think www.codeproject.com is pretty decent.

• @frits said:

I'll scoff at the layout, but the content seems interesting and pretty 1337.

• @b-redeker said:

@frits said:

I'll scoff at the layout, but the content seems interesting and pretty 1337.

I don't know from 1337 (In case you couldn't tell, I'm not really much of a geek), but I was endorsing the forums part.

• The forums over at [url=http://forums.devshed.com/]Devshed[/url] hardly suck at all!

• @Chewbacca said:

The forums over at Devshed hardly suck at all!

If they don't suck there are not for me, getting sucked is the number 1 need of man and the reason for pretty much anything

• @serguey123 said:

If they don't suck there are not for me, getting sucked is the number 1 need of man and the reason for pretty much anything

OH MY GOD!

The wit!  The comedy!  I think I have a new hero!

• @Weng said:

Otherwise, find an interest that ISN'T computers and find some forums related to that.  I tend to find high concentrations of IT people on car forums (if you're into cars or even just vaguely interested, PM me - I have a really good recommendation that I won't post outright because it links two of my mutually exclusive online identities),  gun forums, and science fiction forums.

This is one dangerous nerd, or from Texas, where the right to shoot at everything comes naturally to people (or perhaps is training to shoot the google lines)