T1 in wrong VLAN

• I am trying to get a second router turned up in a remote data center.  The router is powered on and I can dial into it out of band, but it cannot see the T1 that is supposed to be plugged into it.  I sent an email to the data center requesting they check the T1 wiring and their response was: "it may be because the T1 is not in the same VLAN as the current router".

• Tell them you've diagnosed the problem yourself and it turns out the data center is in the wrong World Wide Web.

• @Pascal said:

I am trying to get a second router turned up in a remote data center.  The router is powered on and I can dial into it out of band, but it cannot see the T1 that is supposed to be plugged into it.  I sent an email to the data center requesting they check the T1 wiring and their response was: "it may be because the T1 is not in the same VLAN as the current router".

Most people fix problems by permutation.  They simply try stuff until it works.  It works really well in low-level positions where you tend to see the same problems over and over again.  If you never actually sit down and think about the systems and why they are having problems, then all solutions look random anyways.  I've noticed that programmers progress through these stages:

1. Permutation - try stuff you find on the Internet until something works
    2. Error Message - write something that uses the keywords that you want, try to compile it, then correct whatever error the compiler spits out
    3. Anti-Patterns - starting to grasp how things fit together, but usually getting the big picture stuff wrong.
    4. Maturity - finally learning how the thing works and using it properly

Some people get through 1 and 2 really quickly, but many people spend their entire careers there.  That's why the guy down the hall takes two weeks to add a field to the customer maintenance screen.  Other technical fields have similar lines of progression.  The data center guy you spoke to was either having a really bad day, or he simply tries stuff until it works.  The funny thing is that these people usually rush to try these things as quickly as possible and sometimes they fix problems faster than experienced people.  However, sometimes they accidentally take the data center down.

BTW, I'm not sure how many people here realize that VLAN assignment wouldn't have anything to do with up or down status.

• BOFH excuse? Making up a nonsensical diagnosis to get you off his back for a while?