But who will know it's there?

• A non-technical friend who owns a small business has an on-site primary data server, which is mirrored to an offsite server, in addition to daily backups to tape (stored offsite), as well as replicating key data to several secured local disks. Not too shabby for a 10 person business.

He also has a small web site on some hosting company's server. He decided that in order to save the annual hosting fee, he would like to bring the web site in-house. He figured the primary data server has plenty of reserve capacity.

I pointed out that no bank puts their web and db servers on the same host using the same disks. Although in-theory it could be secured, it would not be wise. "But who will know it's there?" I advised him to take one of his old (spare) pc's, use it as a dedicated web server, and route all web traffic to it (and away from the server with the critical data). The web site machine could be trivially backed up and the risk would be reduced to virtually zero. Even if the whole machine were trashed, we could get it all back in a short period of time.

It took me *forever* to explain that the internet is just *full* of folks whose sole function is to annoy others.

• @snoofle said:

It took me forever to explain that the internet is just full of folks whose sole function is to annoy others.

Wait, what? Don't you mean the internet is a utopian society of people coming together for the common good of knowledge and understanding?

• @snoofle said:

It took me forever to explain that the internet is just full of folks whose sole function is to annoy others.

You couldn't just link him to 4chan?

• @snoofle said:

He decided that in order to save the annual hosting fee, he would like to bring the web site in-house.

TRWTF. 

• @toth said:

@snoofle said:
    It took me *forever* to explain that the internet is just *full* of folks whose sole function is to annoy others.

Wait, what? Don't you mean the internet is a utopian society of people coming together for the common good of knowledge and understanding?

Tomayto, meet tomahto.

• @blakeyrat said:

@snoofle said:

You couldn't just link him to 4chan?

Even better, invite 'em all round to his house...

• @snoofle said:

A non-technical friend who owns a small business has an on-site primary data server, which is mirrored to an offsite server, in addition to daily backups to tape (stored offsite), as well as replicating key data to several secured local disks.
    Good for him. Over here our entire dev server (complete with source repositories, bug tracking, wiki and work copies) is a virtual machine that is backed up by copying the image while it's running.

Will it work if we try to restore it? Who knows.

I've taken the liberty of dumping the repos and database to the host machine. I am reassured that it's backed up properly.

If anything ever happens and we lose everything I swear I'm gonna sit in a corner reading a book while everyone runs around like headless chickens...

• @DOA said:

@snoofle said:

A non-technical friend who owns a small business has an on-site primary data server, which is mirrored to an offsite server, in addition to daily backups to tape (stored offsite), as well as replicating key data to several secured local disks.
    Good for him. Over here our entire dev server (complete with source repositories, bug tracking, wiki and work copies) is a virtual machine that is backed up by copying the image while it's running.

Will it work if we try to restore it? Who knows.

I've taken the liberty of dumping the repos and database to the host machine. I am reassured that it's backed up properly.

If anything ever happens and we lose everything I swear I'm gonna sit in a corner reading a book while everyone runs around like headless chickens...

That's standard practice for virtual environments.  Of course there is a right way and a wrong way to do it, let's hope they chose the right way.