Design patterns have (mostly) flopped

• @blakeyrat said:

It's fully-loaded, but for whatever reason (I didn't debug it because, you know, you're not paying me) the iframe is only about 100 pixels tall. That's what I see every time I visit the site... I presume the iframe is supposed to be a bit taller, eh?

What browser are you using?  is that Chrome?

• @Enterprise Architect said:

@blakeyrat said:
    It's fully-loaded, but for whatever reason (I didn't debug it because, you know, you're not paying me) the iframe is only about 100 pixels tall.

I get inconsistent results, sorta like what might happen when you use a buggy lock-free library. Hmm.

You're being a dick.

• @dhromed said:

@liblfds_admin said:

you have a -partial page load- occurring, and there is no more progress after what is shown?

The iframe isn't maxed, is what.

Well, that stinks.

I was thinking a bit; since I load the page, then set the innerHTML, I could in theory strip the HTML which forms the page container - the head and the body tags - and so do what I originally intended to do; load that which remains of the page into a placeholder tag and lose the IFRAME.

The problem then is making sure I retain all the functionality present in HEAD, e.g. the JS includes, the CSS includes, etc.  I'll need to see if all of those things can be placed in the body - but I have a feeling they cannot.

• @liblfds_admin said:

@Enterprise Architect said:

@blakeyrat said:
    It's fully-loaded, but for whatever reason (I didn't debug it because, you know, you're not paying me) the iframe is only about 100 pixels tall.

I get inconsistent results, sorta like what might happen when you use a buggy lock-free library. Hmm.

You're being a dick.

Welcome to the internet (and TDWTF forums in particular), sarcasm is our main export.

• @liblfds_admin said:

k

A feature of jQuery is that the load() method automatically strips away any HEAD and plonks a naked blob of HTML in the target element.

This is of limited use to the wiki page, but would make the iframe obsolete for other pages.

Or, if you're seriously considering spending an hour or two on the site: use links.

• @liblfds_admin said:

What browser are you using? is that Chrome?

Yah. The "tell" is the wrench icon, which so far is unique to Chrome. But man, browsers are sure starting to look alike-- you put Chrome side-by-side with Firefox 4 or IE 9 and you have to hit the damned About screen. Even Opera now looks the same, except for its hideous branded menu in the top-left.

@liblfds_admin said:

@Enterprise Architect said:

@blakeyrat said:

You're being a dick.

We're all dicks here, sorry.

• @liblfds_admin said:

In what way?  I can open root pages (wiki, forum, etc) from their 'tabs' on the main page into browser tabs;
    How? Clicking the 'tab' to open the page in the frame and then right-clicking on the frame and choosing 'Open frame in new tab'?

• @Zecc said:

@liblfds_admin said:

In what way?  I can open root pages (wiki, forum, etc) from their 'tabs' on the main page into browser tabs;
    How? Clicking the 'tab' to open the page in the frame and then right-clicking on the frame and choosing 'Open frame in new tab'?

He could have set up a Google Code or Github account in like a third of the time it takes to even reply on these forums, and I'm pretty sure both of those have wikis and forums included for free. I know for sure Google Code has wiki functionality and integrates with Google Groups to give you forums/email distribution.

If you really, really love Bugzilla you are sick and deranged-- wait let me start over: if you really, really love Bugzilla, you can use SourceForge for all this as well. If you're sane, Github and Google Code provide much better ways of tracking bugs. (For example, having bugs written on wooden spikes and pounded into your genitals would be much better than what Bugzilla does.)

• @blakeyrat said:

you're sorry you're a dick?

• @blakeyrat said:

AHEM

Some dicks are bigger than others.

• @blakeyrat said:

He could have set up a Google Code or Github account in like a third of the time it takes to even reply on these forums

You're missing a key point.  I do not want to use these things.  This is my toy; my hobby, my fun.  I use the stuff I like.

If you really, really love Bugzilla you are sick and deranged

I've not tried SourgeForge.  Bugzilla is the best thing I've seen, of the two bug tracking applications I've seen.  Quite curious now I think about it how few companies actually seem to use these things.

• @Zecc said:

@liblfds_admin said:

My original statement that you could use tabs was incorrect.  I thought you could - I just checked, and you can't.

I wonder if it's possible to make the whole TD area a link.

• @blakeyrat said:

This forum, as far as I know of it, this one discussion, is miles ahead of almost (one exception) everything else I've seen on the web.

• @dhromed said:

A feature of jQuery is that the load() method automatically strips away any HEAD and plonks a naked blob of HTML in the target element.

Interesting.  So it would seem browsers will accept everything in the HEAD, in the BODY.

This is of limited use to the wiki page, but would make the iframe obsolete for other pages.

Or, if you're seriously considering spending an hour or two on the site: use links.

You say use links - but that assumes continuing to use an IFRAME, no?

The idea is to lose the IFRAME, so I'd need to continue XMLHTTPRequest, then strip the HEAD and BODY tags.

Edit : but hang on, how can this ever work?  okay, so let's say I load the wiki root page into a placeholder element in the page; thre's no IFRAME.  What happens when the user clicks on a link in the wiki?  it'll replace the whole page.  I only want the new pages to load up into the placeholder element. The only solution which comes to mind is replacing all links in the loaded pages with modified links to perform an asynch load which is then placed into the .innerHTML of the placeholder.

That to me seems problematic, because there's a zillion ways to cause a page to reload.  What if someone submits a POST form?  I'd need to rewrite the form to use my redirect - which then has to compose and issue the POST data as well!

• @liblfds_admin said:

stuff

I propose to let go of the idea of having the Wiki load in a subsection of your layout. This is not a problem.

Then, to facilitate maintainability, put common sections of the layout, like header, menu, footer, in  seperate files, and include them using whatever mechanism your server supports. Being a website doesn't mean you can't apply modular design, of course.

Then, reformat the tabs as links, using CSS.

Pwobwem sowved!

• @liblfds_admin said:

@blakeyrat said:

This forum, as far as I know of it, this one discussion, is miles ahead of almost (one exception) everything else I've seen on the web.

What web have you been using? This place is Windsor Palace compared to, say, Fark.

• @liblfds_admin said:

@blakeyrat said:

He could have set up a Google Code or Github account in like a third of the time it takes to even reply on these forums

You're missing a key point.  I do not want to use these things.  This is my toy; my hobby, my fun.  I use the stuff I like.

You like unnavigable iframe-based sites that show up in a 100 pixel tall slit? ... fair enough, I guess.

@liblfds_admin said:

If you really, really love Bugzilla you are sick and deranged

I've not tried SourgeForge.  Bugzilla is the best thing I've seen, of the two bug tracking applications I've seen. 

Ok wow.

First of all, how is it possible you've only seen two bug tracking applications if you write C code?

Secondly, how is it possible that Bugzilla is the *best* of those? The other one might actually be the wooden-spike-in-crotch one I proposed!

@liblfds_admin said:

Quite curious now I think about it how few companies actually seem to use these things.

WTF companies are you working for? Why didn't you demand a bug tracker? Or install one yourself on a spare server?

Every reply just brings up more and more questions. Man.

• @blakeyrat said:

@liblfds_admin said:

What web have you been using? This place is Windsor Palace compared to, say, Fark.

Head on over to Hydrogenaudio for a real Windsor Palace, that makes us look like the SwampShack.

• @dhromed said:

@blakeyrat said:

@liblfds_admin said:

Head on over to Hydrogenaudio for a real Windsor Palace, that makes us look like the SwampShack.

My favorite was always YouTube before comment moderation. Man, if you ever wanted to see how stupid, racist, horrible, ugly people could get (without viewing pedo images), YouTube was guaranteed to meet your need. Now with moderation in place, it's actually not bad at all... but there's still Yahoo boards.

Since this thread will eventually devolve into video game talk anyway, the latest patch makes WOW look not as much like shit! The models appear to be the same, or close enough that I can't tell a difference, but the textures are quadrupled or more in resolution! Whee! It also continues Blizzard's annoying habit of introducing all the expansion features several weeks before the actual expansion launches, so I didn't get a chance to spend my now-obsolete currencies, and now I have to respec all my characters. :( Also druids are specialized now, you get cat or bear but not both. Boo.

• All my coworkers play StarCraft II anyway. I don't because I don't like RTS.

I love this, though. I was musing how it might hypothetically be awesome to walk around such a battlefield FPS-style, as a spectator. Hell, maybe there's gaming fun to be had if you have a big team of people where one gamemaster-type sees the game as an RTS and the others play officers or heroes or whatever and walk around like in an FPS/MMORPG. Is this new? Am I breaking new ground? I don't know.

• @blakeyrat said:

In terms of user civility?  I doubt it.

• Also using Chrome and the iframe works, but the funny thing is that going again to the website will show the latest selected tab...
    Which is actually a feature from the website in the body.load call.

• @blakeyrat said:

@me said:
    I've not tried SourgeForge.  Bugzilla is the best thing I've seen, of the two bug tracking applications I've seen. 

Ok wow.

First of all, how is it possible you've only seen two bug tracking applications if you write C code?

I'm wondering that myself.  ARM didn't use one when I was there.  I did a bunch of contracting, small companies, then worked for a couple of little companies.  Actually, I did a brief stint on the Symbian kernel team, and they had bug tracking, but their bureaucracy and internal process were so appallingly oppressive I left after a couple of months.

And then here, where I am now, where they do indeed quite honestly and literally have the wooden-spike-in-the-crotch you have in mind.

Every reply just brings up more and more questions. Man.

It's just like real life =-)

• @blakeyrat said:

My favorite was always YouTube *before* comment moderation. Man, if you ever wanted to see how stupid, racist, horrible, ugly people could get (without viewing pedo images), YouTube was guaranteed to meet your need.

I'm sorry, but do you mean ugly people and how stupid, racist and horrible they could get, or just people and how stupid, racist, horrible and ugly they could get? It's rather ambiguous.

Also please stop using the theme i use for my wordpress that i always see all over the place because it's the first decent looking theme you find when looking for themes.

• @blakeyrat said:

Since this thread will eventually devolve into video game talk anyway, the latest patch makes WOW look not as much like shit! The models appear to be the same, or close enough that I can't tell a difference, but the textures are quadrupled or more in resolution! Whee! It also continues Blizzard's annoying habit of introducing all the expansion features several weeks before the actual expansion launches, so I didn't get a chance to spend my now-obsolete currencies, and now I have to respec all my characters. :( Also druids are specialized now, you get cat or bear but not both. Boo.

I loved WOW, back in about 2004.  I played again for some months recently before giving up; I think WOW went bananas when it went above level 60.  The power progression just doesn't work properly; so I didn't want to go above 60, I didn't - and then you have almost no one to play with.  The pre-BC content is deserted.  Oh and also where Bliz just started giving everything away; extra rep, extra xp, extra this that and the other.  It stinks.  WOW used to be hard and it took real effort.  All of that is devalued.  Bah, humbug.

• @dhromed said:

Hell, maybe there's gaming fun to be had if you have a big team of people where one gamemaster-type sees the game as an RTS and the others play officers or heroes or whatever and walk around like in an FPS/MMORPG. Is this new? Am I breaking new ground? I don't know.

Natural Selection, a Half-Life mod, did something a little like this.

• @stratos said:

I'm sorry, but do you mean ugly people and how stupid, racist and horrible they could get, or just people and how stupid, racist, horrible and ugly they could get? It's rather ambiguous.

Are those two meanings mutually-exclusive?

@stratos said:

Also please stop using the theme i use for my wordpress that i always see all over the place because it's the first decent looking theme you find when looking for themes.

It's also one of the very few that properly supports widgets. Kudos to whoever made that theme, but ... yah, it's all over.

• @liblfds_admin said:

@blakeyrat said:

I loved WOW, back in about 2004.  I played again for some months recently before giving up; I think WOW went bananas when it went above level 60.  The power progression just doesn't work properly; so I didn't want to go above 60, I didn't - and then you have almost no one to play with.  The pre-BC content is deserted.  Oh and also where Bliz just started giving everything away; extra rep, extra xp, extra this that and the other.  It stinks.  WOW used to be hard and it took real effort.  All of that is devalued.  Bah, humbug.

Ok grandpa.

But for the record, the game is balanced fine to 80 now... or was-- this latest 4.0.1 patch changed the way every single class and skill works anyway. All chars need to be re-specced, druids are forced to specialize, shamans are... well pretty much the same, hunters get energy instead of mana, etc etc. It's a huge change, but what's weird is that they make it *before* the expansion comes out, and with little warning that it's coming. Which is a pain.

So once I get into playing the 4.0.1 patch, I'm going to have to basically re-learn everything.

• @Someone You Know said:

@dhromed said:

Hell, maybe there's gaming fun to be had if you have a big team of people where one gamemaster-type sees the game as an RTS and the others play officers or heroes or whatever and walk around like in an FPS/MMORPG. Is this new? Am I breaking new ground? I don't know.

Tribes did it, complete with its own Commander interface, limited resources to distribute, the whole ball of wax. Commanders could control turrets in addition to ... commanding. It was mostly ignored on public servers. Even if you were in the Commander interface, there was nothing to compel people to follow your instructions. It might have been more used in tournaments.

Battlefield: 2142 also did it, but the only reason anybody ever used it is that they could drop airstrikes. Again, there was nothing to compel people to follow your instructions, so it went mostly ignored except for the airstrikes and dropping supplies.

Anyway, long story short: it's been done. It doesn't work very well. Unless you come up with something pretty new.

•  According to Wikipedia, Natural Selection (2003) predates Battefield 2142 (2006). Don't know about Tribes, though.

Edit: not that you claim otherwise..

• @Zecc said:

According to Wikipedia, Natural Selection (2003) predates Battefield 2142 (2006). Don't know about Tribes, though.

Tribes is... '98? '97? Around then. It's basically the best FPS ever. Possibly second-best.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Zecc said:

According to Wikipedia, Natural Selection (2003) predates Battefield 2142 (2006). Don't know about Tribes, though.

Tribes is... '98? '97? Around then. It's basically the best FPS ever. Possibly second-best.

Jetpacks! And guns that shoot exploding frisbees! Ain't no "second-best" about it.

• @Someone You Know said:

@blakeyrat said:

@Zecc said:

Jetpacks! And guns that shoot exploding frisbees! Ain't no "second-best" about it.

If you add the Shifter v.1 mod, then it becomes the best FPS ever. Las turrets! Cruise missiles! Out of the box, it's "merely" astoundingly great.

• 🚽 Regular

@blakeyrat said:

If you add the Shifter v.1 mod, then it becomes the best FPS ever. Las turrets! Cruise missiles! Out of the box, it's "merely" astoundingly great.

Unless Milton happens to be on the Shifter server.

• @XIU said:

Also using Chrome and the iframe works, but the funny thing is that going again to the website will show the latest selected tab...
    Which is actually a feature from the website in the body.load call.

There's a cookie which remembers the tab.

• @Zecc said:

Tribes 2 I think predates NS.  I remember buying a TNT2 for Tribes 2!

• @blakeyrat said:

@Someone You Know said:

@dhromed said:

Tribes did it, <snip>

Battlefield: 2142 also did it, <snip>

Anyway, long story short: it's been done. It doesn't work very well. Unless you come up with something pretty new.

It's even been done in single-player.

Once upon a time there was Battlezone II where you had to be both a grunt AND the commander at the same time. And you didn't carry any fancy magical maps with you to coordinate units. You had to be back at HQ to do that.

Out in a tank leading an offense and suddenly your base came under attack? There were no remote commands. You had better haul ass back and take care of it, boy. And if your vehicle got destroyed there was no respawning. You ejected and hoped the enemy didn't spot you land. And then you had to make it back to base armed with a measly sniper rifle against enemy armor. Assuming you even had that, because it was an upgrade.

Ah, the good old days...

• @DOA said:

It's even been done in single-player.

Once upon a time there was Battlezone II where you had to be both a grunt AND the commander at the same time. And you didn't carry any fancy magical maps with you to coordinate units. You had to be back at HQ to do that.

BZ2! Forgot about that one. It had multiplayer too, yes? Or I'm crazy?

The problem BZ2 had was that Tribes came out. Not their fault, it was a great game, but it was no Tribes.

• @liblfds_admin said:

I remember buying a TNT2 for Tribes 2!
    Teenage Ninja Turtles?

• @Zecc said:

@liblfds_admin said:

I remember buying a TNT2 for Tribes 2!
    Teenage Ninja Turtles?

I was a Voodoo man myself.

• lol look at that tiny fan! What's that, 5KHz?

• The TNT2's core worked at 150 MHz, but I don't know about the fan. Its speed should be measured in rpm, anyway.

• I'm still playing BZII on a 143 Mhz Voodoo3 card sometimes. ;) A few coders from the original team somehow managed to keep the source, and release patches (the "new features" kind) from time to time. There's still a small but notable multiplayer community, just like with Tribes.

• @dhromed said:

lol look at that tiny fan! What's that, 5KHz?

- WHY IS YOUR COMPUTER SO NOISY?
    - WHAT?
    - I SAID WHY IS YOUR COMPUTER SO
    NOISY?
    - I CAN'T HEAR WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, MY 5 kHz FAN MAKES TOO MUCH
    NOISE!

• @liblfds_admin said:

You're being a dick.@blakeyrat said:

Featured Comment!