Help me...

• I'm still not quite sure if this idea is pure genius or just stupid.

(Though I admit, images of a certain South Park episode come to mind)

• It's transparent, tubed shaped, pedal driven, carts hung on rails. A bit odd yes.

• They say it's good for urban commuting. Is there any form of climate control? How can you sit in there during August in Atlanta? It looks like sitting in a parked car with the windows up.

• V2.

•  so if I get stuck behind some slow guy I can't just pass him?  Can I at least push him or do I have to slow down?

• @renalexam said:

They say it's good for urban commuting. Is there any form of climate control? How can you sit in there during August in Atlanta? It looks like sitting in a parked car with the windows up.

What stops homeless people from pissing in it?

• @blakeyrat said:

High-voltage current running through a metal tray under a non-conducting grid. You might not want to spill your drink, though.

I like the way they're thinking, but they haven't got it quite right. Covered cyclepaths are a good idea if you want to increase the viability of cycling somewhere, and then you can add a few mph of positive air currents through the main ones to make pedalling a bit easier. The monorail idea is total overkill in terms of structure, whilst having some major flaws - what do you do with the bike you rode to the monorail station? How do you overtake? What if the capsules are all at the bottom of a hill somewhere when you're at the top?

• @blakeyrat said:

@renalexam said:

They say it's good for urban commuting. Is there any form of climate control? How can you sit in there during August in Atlanta? It looks like sitting in a parked car with the windows up.

This sounds like an excellent question to ask about any new technology.

• @Someone You Know said:

@blakeyrat said:

@renalexam said:

This sounds like an excellent question to ask about any new technology.

Seattle wasted a TON of money because they forgot to ask the question: "what stops homeless people from having sex and doing drugs in it?" (The answer: Nothing. Well, possession of $.50, I guess.)

Edit: Oh God they were free? Ok, not even the $.50 was stopping them. Ironically, in this case, you would actually *want* the homeless people to be pissing in it.

• @blakeyrat said:

Seattle wasted a TON of money because they forgot to ask the question: "what stops homeless people from having sex and doing drugs in it?"

Hm, interesting. Paris has had similar automatic toilets for decades, if I remember correctly, and to my knowledge they work pretty good too.

• @blakeyrat said:

Seattle wasted a TON of money because they forgot to ask the question: "what stops homeless people from having sex and doing drugs in it?" (The answer: Nothing. Well, possession of $.50, I guess.)

Edit: Oh God they were free? Ok, not even the $.50 was stopping them. Ironically, in this case, you would actually *want* the homeless people to be pissing in it.

TRWTF is that the money they were spending could have paid for normal toilets with full-time attendants. A million dollars each? WTF were they thinking?

• @b-redeker said:

@blakeyrat said:

Seattle wasted a TON of money because they forgot to ask the question: "what stops homeless people from having sex and doing drugs in it?"

Hm, interesting. Paris has had similar automatic toilets for decades, if I remember correctly, and to my knowledge they work pretty good too.

They built the first one in Pioneer Square-- literally the original Skid Row.

• @davedavenotdavemaybedave said:

A million dollars each? WTF were they thinking?
    Thankfully, they weren't a million dollars each -- the article just has a very poor wording on the subject. Rather, the project as a whole cost a million dollars for each of five years: $5 million in total.

•  But there were only 5 toilets.  That's a million dollars each.  Granted it's spread over 5 years, but it's still a million dollars each.  What in the world costs a million dollars with an AUTOMATED tolilet?

• @North Bus said:

@davedavenotdavemaybedave said:
    Thankfully, they weren't a million dollars each -- the article just has a very poor wording on the subject. Rather, the project as a whole cost a million dollars for each of five years: $5 million in total.

Five million dollars for five toilets is a million dollars each (over five years), by my reckoning. Say it costs 50k to build a toilet stall - government rates - that leaves 950k over five years to staff them. Hell, I'll contract to keep the place staffed by a security guard and a cleaner 24/7 for 200k a year. Or, more reasonably, for 50k per year, and having built multiple stalls to start with.

You see this kind of bonkers thinking all over the place. I was recently involved with a client who had a budget of 20k to build a data-handling system to save one minimum wage man-day per week. It wasn't about consistency, or quality, or anything like that - not even about the availability of cheap labour: just that they didn't do the maths and work out that it was cheaper to hire in a drone to do the work for the next ten years than to build the system they wanted.

• @davedavenotdavemaybedave said:

@North Bus said:
    @davedavenotdavemaybedave said:

Five million dollars for five toilets is a million dollars each (over five years), by my reckoning. Say it costs 50k to build a toilet stall - government rates - that leaves 950k over five years to staff them. Hell, I'll contract to keep the place staffed by a security guard and a cleaner 24/7 for 200k a year. Or, more reasonably, for 50k per year, and having built multiple stalls to start with.

My bad, I thought it was $1 million per year for five years for an entire fleet of toilets (ew) -- I missed the part where it was 5 toilets for 5 years. (Though I would still like to place some blame the obfuscated article wording. Or not.)

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.