Do the right thing, indeed.

• So as I'm perusing Google to find old accounts I forgot about, so I can update them with my new email address, in case the old one goes kapoof, I come across this place called Do the right thing. I couldn't find a place to change the email on my account, so I decided to get snarky. That's when I discovered they don't even have a page for their own site. So I added it:

[IMG]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4834/dotherightthing.png[/IMG]

Can't help but chuckle at the "0 PEOPLE ARE LISTENING FROM DO THE RIGHT THING".

Really, when you make a service like that, you should have the forethought to add *itself* to its database. Not to mention your own company. (Put in "Breakthrough Innovation Group" and it'll ask you to create the page. No, really.)

• Top Companies

Starbucks
    0 people listening

Google
    0 people listening

Wal-Mart
    0 people listening

Apple
    0 people listening

Virgin Group
    0 people listening

Stats and Impact

• 2384 active people
    • 513 active companies
    • 90 ideas
    • 1 considered ideas
    • 2 launched ideas!

Summary

Sounds like the most useless waste of time ever. Clearly nobody cares what anybody on that site thinks. Not worth wasting your time by using it.

•  search can't find anything on "dotherightthing" or "do the right thing"

• Big ol' bonus points for the press-release "links" that go nowhere.  And the Twitter feed with all of one tweet from a year and a half ago.  Decent concept, complete and total lack of follow-through.

•  daft idea... how do u make money?

• @TarquinWJ said:

Sounds like the most useless waste of time ever. Clearly nobody cares what anybody on that site thinks. Not worth wasting your time by using it.
    Not entirely. If it actually gets popular it'd be awesome, and it's probably a good place for start ups to look at ideas on where to compete against the big companies. However, that isn't to say that at this point its utility is almost nil.

• @Lingerance said:

@TarquinWJ said:
    Not entirely. If it actually gets popular it'd be awesome, and it's probably a good place for start ups to look at ideas on where to compete against the big companies. However, that isn't to say that at this point its utility is almost nil.
    If this were a new site, I would agree, but ...@The site said:
    Empowering people with ideas since 2006
    4 years is long past the experimental stage, and easily long enough to declare the parrot dead.

• Whenever I see someone on a forum or whatnot with a blogger.com link in their sig, and the blog's down, I log into Google and create a blog with their URL. Then post an entry like, "I jerk off to panther scat." Or something. Then I wait for them to notice.

• @TarquinWJ said:

More like someone saw http://getsatisfaction.com/ and thought - cool, I'll just copy what they do.

• @viraptor said:

@TarquinWJ said:

More like someone saw http://getsatisfaction.com/ and thought - cool, I'll just copy what they do.

Of couse this has to be a 404: http://getsatisfaction.com/success-stories/

•  @Lingerance said:

Of course this has to be a 404: http://getsatisfaction.com/success-stories/

I actually just saw the text on their "mascot" on their main page, and I'm now hoping they die a violent death in obscurity:

@Them said:
    Who is JarGon?
    JarGon is the customer service robot. He has no heart and isn’t capable of love. He was created in a secret lab to frustrate customers, and Get Satisfaction is locked in an epic battle to protect the populace from this bumbling, metallic menace.

Seriously, are there people outside of marketing that find this funny?

• @fire2k said:

@Lingerance said:

Of course this has to be a 404: http://getsatisfaction.com/success-stories/

I actually just saw the text on their "mascot" on their main page, and I'm now hoping they die a violent death in obscurity:

@Them said:
    Who is JarGon?JarGon is the customer service robot. He has no heart and isn’t
    capable of love. He was created in a secret lab to frustrate customers,
    and Get Satisfaction is locked in an epic battle to protect the populace
    from this bumbling, metallic menace.
     Seriously, are there people outside of marketing that find this funny?

Monster.com used to have a photo gallery of their various monster mascots-- each one had a name, and a specific function to help you find a job. I thought it was cute.

The only one left is Trump, all the other monsters have disappeared over the years.

• @blakeyrat said:

The only one left is Trump, all the other monsters have disappeared over the years.

He fucking killed them.

• @blakeyrat said:

Monster.com used to have a photo gallery of their various monster mascots-- each one had a name, and a specific function to help you find a job. I thought it was cute.

I do believe there is a reason companies don't do that anymore. Remember the Lycos dog? First they provided a websearch, the dog fitted halfway, although the picture of a sleepy drooling real-life dog didn't exactly inspire confidence in their capabilities.  Then they sold internet access, but kept the dog, because it was an established brand, and then their whole advertisements made no sense anymore.

Freenet used to have talking chicken trying to sell me internet... 

And imagine google having a mascot and a campaign with it... It would be just the oo's, going through town stalking people. Or Myspace. They would simply have a Chibi-Version of Kurt Cobain, trying to tell me that this illegally copied 30-second clip of a garage band in Stockholm he found is "the shit man, the shit", and telling the Facebook-book how he'd "sold out, man" and just don't get, while doing his heroin.

• Tele2 has been using a black talking CGI sheep to sell connection to the common man.

Funny how they completely change tone and style for their business ads, reverting to a standard light-voiced, quick-talking invisible narrator.