An Oscar contender!



  •  It's short, but the cast makes up for it.




  • Some context would be nice.



  • LIke most code I've seen on TDWTF, we're supposed to know everything the author knows. THEN we'll understand the WTF.



  •  I can fill you in on the context. This is from one of those RedBox kiosks. Sort of a robotic self-serve Blockbuster that's about the size of a soda machine that's often found in supermarkets. The idea is you put your credit card in, select which movie you want, then it comes out of the machine (in the case seen above), and it automatically withdraws $1 per day from your bank account until either you return it or it's been around 25-30 days or so, in which case you get to keep the movie after having spent the $1 a day. They're quite popular in the northeast, anyway.

    So, what we're seeing here is one of the movie selections. Why they offer an empty case as part of the movie selection is uncertain. Perhaps enough people have somehow lost the original case and return to the redbox with just the DVD that they decide to provide you with a spare, or perhaps it's to exploit the drunk, drugged, or simply deranged into buying an empty case and charging them $1 per day until they sober up or get help and give it back. Perhaps it's their f'd up way to say that a certain movie has sold out.



  • @RHuckster said:

    So, what we're seeing here is one of the movie selections. Why they offer an empty case as part of the movie selection is uncertain. Perhaps enough people have somehow lost the original case and return to the redbox with just the DVD that they decide to provide you with a spare, or perhaps it's to exploit the drunk, drugged, or simply deranged into buying an empty case and charging them $1 per day until they sober up or get help and give it back. Perhaps it's their f'd up way to say that a certain movie has sold out.

    I figure the reason is for people who've lost the original case, but I don't think Redbox people do it automatically. My theroy is this is what happens if you try to return a case without a DVD in it.



  • @RHuckster said:

     I can fill you in on the context. This is from one of those RedBox kiosks. Sort of a robotic self-serve Blockbuster that's about the size of a soda machine that's often found in supermarkets. The idea is you put your credit card in, select which movie you want, then it comes out of the machine (in the case seen above), and it automatically withdraws $1 per day from your bank account until either you return it or it's been around 25-30 days or so, in which case you get to keep the movie after having spent the $1 a day. They're quite popular in the northeast, anyway.

    So, what we're seeing here is one of the movie selections. Why they offer an empty case as part of the movie selection is uncertain. Perhaps enough people have somehow lost the original case and return to the redbox with just the DVD that they decide to provide you with a spare, or perhaps it's to exploit the drunk, drugged, or simply deranged into buying an empty case and charging them $1 per day until they sober up or get help and give it back. Perhaps it's their f'd up way to say that a certain movie has sold out.

     

    It's a one-time charge of a buck, and it's to replace the case that you broke for some stupid reason.

    Yes, some context would have helped. I overestimated the ubiquity of RedBox kiosks offering shitty date movies and straight-to-video horror.



  • @henke37 said:

    Some context would be nice.
    Nice, but not essencial. 'Starring: Empty Case' was enough for me. Maybe I'm just less demanding.



  • The unrated version of Empty Case is much better than the original.

     



  • @Zecc said:

    @henke37 said:

    Some context would be nice.
    Nice, but not essencial. 'Starring: Empty Case' was enough for me. Maybe I'm just less demanding.


    Same here.

    Especially since I first misread it as 'Empty Cage', presumable a relative of Nicolas.



  • It may not be very long, but that sure is one hell of an action-packed second.  Five stars.



  • @aihtdikh said:

    @Zecc said:

    @henke37 said:

    Some context would be nice.
    Nice, but not essencial. 'Starring: Empty Case' was enough for me. Maybe I'm just less demanding.

    Same here.
    Especially since I first misread it as 'Empty Cage', presumable a relative of Nicolas.
    The Emptiness makes me think more of John. I bet it's one second of silence and a blank screen.



  • I'm holding out for Empty Case - the Director's Cut

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    I'm holding out for Empty Case - the Director's Cut

     

    It's a minute and a half. But don't bother - everybody says the theatrical cut was 15 seconds too long to begin with.



  • @RHuckster said:

     I can fill you in on the context. This is from one of those RedBox kiosks. Sort of a robotic self-serve Blockbuster that's about the size of a soda machine that's often found in supermarkets.

     

     Sorry, I need more context.  What's a kiosk?  a Blockbuster?  a soda?  a supermarket?

     On my home marklar of Marklar we don't have this marklar.



  • Wow, was that a human spammer I just saw?



  • @Zecc said:

    Wow, was that a human spammer I just saw?
     

    waves hand

    You saw nothing.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.