Why is TDWTF a spamfest and noone is doing anything about it?

• The topic says it. TDWTF comment space is second to none when it comes to the amount of spam. Why isn't anyone doing anything? Why are anonymous comments still allowed? That is the TRWTF of all times.

• @veggen said:

The topic says it. TDWTF comment space is second to none when it comes to the amount of spam. Why isn't anyone doing anything? Why are anonymous comments still allowed? That is the TRWTF of all times.

1. Only 3 people have ban power. This power bestowed upon them by CS is blessed with horrible amounts of fail.
    2. Mods delete spam as they see it. However, CS makes mass deletions a pain.
    3. bstorer thinks that 22.3% is the popular vote.
    If you're talking about the front page stuff:
    1. An unknown quantity of people have ban power. This number is assumed to be simultaniously lesser or equal to and greater or equal to 1.

• Yeah, I was referring to the front page. And I guess bans won't work unless anonymous comments aren't disabled first.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

• I think the moderation might be a bit lop sided, I shared a link to an infographic poster about cyber crime and the 10 most popular items stolen online and I think it might have been deleted.  Can you have a look and confirm if it was unsuitable?  (so I can delete if necessary, I thought it was interesting reading but then again I have quirky interests)

• @oxytechx said:

I think the moderation might be a bit lop sided, I shared a link to an infographic poster about cyber crime and the 10 most popular items stolen online and I think it might have been deleted. 
    Awesome poster. I have to say your description of it is incorrect though, it's various stats related to identity theft in the UK up to and including a top ten list of items purchased through identity theft.

• @veggen said:

The topic says it. TDWTF comment space is second to none when it comes to the amount of spam. Why isn't anyone doing anything? Why are anonymous comments still allowed? That is the TRWTF of all times.

The forum here is relatively clear, I guess; the front page is a different kind of beast, though. To be honest, I think that no moderator wants to go through the comments on the front page, since more often than not, they are not worthwile (to say it politely). So much stupidity, so little time. Anyway, if a qualified user* reading this thinks "I'd absolutely LOVE to become a moderator for the frontpage", send me a message.

* regular visitor, member for several months, some 100 posts, not an author of a desktop seach engine that can randomly play videos too, not (too often) involved in flamewars etc.

•  Am I the only one who finds the comments to be relatively spam free? Especially compared to other sites like Cracked where nobody gives a damn?

also:

• Is it possible for a moderator to see all new comments on all front page articles? If not, then moderation is useless because spam starts accumulating once the article is old and nobody watches it anymore; then the only solution is to close commenting after N days and clean spam after each such closure.

• Garbage Person

@Mal1024 said:

Especially compared to other sites like Cracked where nobody gives a damn?
    Cracked has comments?

What's next, you'll be telling me YouTube has comments?

• The frontpage articles are seperate from the forums.  Forums mods do not have mod power on the articles.  Theres enough of us mods that most spam in the forums is killed quite quickly.  Unfortunatly however as was mentioned we can not ban the spammers.  That takes an Admin.  we do however have a *special* thread where we post spammer usernames for deletion by an admin.  A few of us also get email alerts anytime you folks report a post for abuse.  And thus respond via phones, all while chugging tequilla at the local bar.

• @galgorah said:

all while chugging tequilla at the local bar.

wait what?

• @dhromed said:

@galgorah said:

all while chugging tequilla at the local bar.

wait what?

Smart phones make a lot of things possible...  especially when when you subscribe to the reports, and your email is sent straight to your phone.

•  dude, fuck the smarmphones— y'all been having drinkfests and I wasn't informed?

• @dhromed said:

dude, fuck the smarmphones— y'all been having drinkfests and I wasn't informed?

If your ever in boston and want to grab a few drinks then let me know.  I've met up with morbs a few times for drinks in the past since he isn't far from me.

• I don't even know where Boston is! Fuck, Google doesn't know where Boston is. Are you sure it even exists?

• @dhromed said:

I don't even know where Boston is! Fuck, Google doesn't know where Boston is. Are you sure it even exists?

try Boston, Ma, United States.

•  pf

looks photoshopped to me.