Bug in Windows Calculator

• To make Calc.exe crash, press the following buttons in sequence (using the mouse or keyboard):
    2 * ( 4 / 7 = )

It is necessary to have the program in "Scientific" mode (choose "Scientific" from the "View" menu if you're currently unscientific).

So far as I can tell, the "MapleCalc" pop-up in SSDS is not affected.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Nor is the improved calculator in Win7.

Get a real OS.

• Just putting (=) has the same effect.

•  Works on my XP

• Mine doesn't crash per se, but it does return "Result of function is undefined" and then stops responding to all input even though the GUI is still works.  (E.g., the menus work, but it won't switch from scientific to standard mode, etc.)  That state gets cleared by pressing "CE" or "C".  This is the same behavior you get when you ask it to divide zero by zero.

Not the best way to program a calculator, but consider the source.

• @bridget99 said:

To make Calc.exe crash, press the following buttons in sequence (using the mouse or keyboard):
    2 * ( 4 / 7 = )

Not in XP SP3, it doesn't.

What's that, Bridget?

Oh …

… you're still on Windows [i]95[/i]? Right …

• Totally crashes in Vista.

But who cares?

• @dhromed said:

Totally crashes in Vista.
    People still use that? I was under the impression it was a stepping stone between XP and Windows 7

•  Works fine in WinVista. I suspect Operator Error.

•  Are you sure you're using Windows calc and not one of the calc programs from our OMGWTF contest a while ago?

• @bridget99 said:

To make Calc.exe crash, press the following buttons in sequence (using the mouse or keyboard):
    2 * ( 4 / 7 = )

It is necessary to have the program in "Scientific" mode (choose "Scientific" from the "View" menu if you're currently unscientific a girl ).

So far as I can tell, the "MapleCalc" pop-up in SSDS is not affected.

FTFY

• It might then be due to system configuration. The second time I tried it, I got a VC++ Runtime Error alertbox, and when I OK'd that, I got the standard Windows message of This Program Must Close etc...

It may have something to do with Visual Studio 8 installed and various other modules and drivers and whatnot.

• The MacOS X Calculator.app (not the dashboard widget, but the app) used to think that -pi was -3. If you hit the pi button, then the negative button, you'd just get "-3". But they have since fixed it, as of 10.4 or something like that.

• @Lingerance said:

@dhromed said:
    Vista.
    People still use that? I was under the impression it was a stepping stone between XP and Windows 7

Work PC got bought some months before 7 became available.

I really don't care. Vista's just fine. At home I still have XP, which is just fine, and am holding out for a proper reason to upgrade to 7, such as a game that only works under DX10, or something else that forces me to do so.

I expect the former, because games have been the sole driving force behind replacing my computer twice now:
    Shit, I can't play GTA:SA => buy a new computer
    Shit, I can't play Fallout 3 => buy a new computer

•  I am actually pleasantly surprised by W7, especially after being less than impressed by Vista. Me likey. I had it forced upon me by a new employer/laptop (old one had win XP) but it's convinced conservative old me.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that the laptop has 6 times the RAM, 3 times the harddisk and probably a gazillion more hz.

@dhromed said:

You tap the Winkey and type some shit and you'll probably get what you want as the first or second result.

F$%^ me. That rocks.

• Crash confirmed on 32-bit Vista. Doesn't happen on x64 version though.

calc crash

•  @ender said:

Zapri program

I like that.

• @dhromed said:

I really don't care. Vista's just fine. At home I still have XP, which is just fine, and am holding out for a proper reason to upgrade to 7, such as a game that only works under DX10, or something else that forces me to do so.

Try Age of Conan, in DX9 mode side-by-side with DX10 mode. You'll crap your pants, then rush to buy a new computer.

• Works fine in Windows XP SP3 Pro 32 bit.  Will test Windows 7 when I get home.

Also, as the equation typed in is non-sensical I don't consider this a bug.  Merely an ID10T or PEBKAC error that was not properly handled.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.