Do what you're told

• About a year ago, I joined a team in the process of building a replacement for an aging system. As part of this process, someone built a stand-alone tool to periodically copy data from the old db to the new one. For political reasons, the old system was given a partial reprieve until our new system has all the new bells and whistles the users can think up. As such, the "copy" tool functionality is now also implemented in the legacy system. Since we don't need 2 tools to copy the same data, and the sole purpose for the legacy system is now their version of the copy tool (and to keep them employed), our copy tool is scheduled to be decommissioned.

Ok, whatever.

Then we get a request to refactor our stand alone copy tool, and it's scheduled to take 3 man months of effort (there is a lot of business tranformation-type logic in the tool). But - it's going to be decommissioned in 4 months; why go through all of that effort, plus QA, just to potentially introduce bugs into an otherwise stable, soon to be decommissioned piece of software? Do what you're told!

Hey, as a consultant slave, I'm not paid to be productive, just obedient.

• if (no) {

//TODO: wait for snoofle's response

}

• Do what you're told cuz contractors aren't free! You are contracted!

YAR HAR FIDDLE DEE DEE

• @snoofle said:

Hey, as a consultant slave, I'm not paid to be productive, just obedient.

Reminds me of my first co-op.  Keep the stupid employed so the company isn't productive.

• @Xyro said:

Do what you're told cuz contractors aren't free! You are contracted!

YAR HAR FIDDLE DEE DEE

This is why open source projects exist. Work on OSS to keep your sanity. Work on your insane-o job to get paid well.

• @snoofle said:

(...)For political reasons(...)

The real WTF.

• @astonerbum said:

@Xyro said:

YAR HAR FIDDLE DEE DEE

This is why open source projects exist. Work on OSS to keep your sanity. Work on your insane-o job to get paid well.

Yeah, you can just type "work on my open source project" in a text file, and Linux knows exactly what you want to do.

•  @blakeyrat said:

@astonerbum said:

@Xyro said:

YAR HAR FIDDLE DEE DEE

Yeah, you can just type "work on my open source project" in a text file, and Linux knows exactly what you want to do.

Are you fucking serious?!  God damnit.  Do you know how many shit quality man-pages I have slogged through trying to find this info??

• @aesis said:

Are you fucking serious?!  God damnit.  Do you know how many shit quality man-pages I have slogged through trying to find this info??

If the man pages aren't telling you what you need to know, just type "OVERRIDE" in the big red box and it will start up a MovieOS shell.  Then all of your answers will be displayed in 3D rendered scenes while assembly dumps of MS-DOS 1.0 scroll by in the background.

It works every time.

• @DCRoss said:

@aesis said:

If the man pages aren't telling you what you need to know, just type "OVERRIDE" in the big red box and it will start up a MovieOS shell.  Then all of your answers will be displayed in 3D rendered scenes while assembly dumps of MS-DOS 1.0 scroll by in the background.

It works every time.

If you do that in Leopard OS you get a hologram of Dr. Know (from that movie, AI).

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]@DCRoss said:

@aesis said:

It works every time.

If you do that in Leopard OS you get a hologram of Dr. Know (from that movie, AI).[/quote]

Nanu, nanu.

Actually that was about the last semi-entertaining gig Robin Williams did. Last thing I saw him in was RV-- oh ha ha he doesn't know how to work the septic tank and has shit on his pants that is hilarious.