Optimised for a hi-res display

• Got to Potomac Region Solar Energy Association (note the !!! at the heading) then scroll down to the bottom of the page to read:

This site is optimized for Windows- and Linux-based versions of Firefox set to a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels per inch or greater.

Too bad I was reading this on my Mac

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@OzPeter said:

This site is optimized for Windows- and Linux-based versions of Firefox set to a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels per inch or greater.
    Well that's a load of bollocks. On a 1024x800 display:

• But have you tried it on a really really tiny screen?

• @PJH said:

Well that's a load of bollocks. On a 1024x800 display:

They're still not lying.  Your display isn't 1024x768 pixels [i]per inch[/i], is it?

• @OzPeter said:

Got to Potomac Region Solar Energy Association (note the !!! at the heading) then scroll down to the bottom of the page to read:

Too bad I was reading this on my Mac

Christ, a lot of laser printers can't hit 1024x768 pixels-per-inch!

This site must come back in time from a technologically advanced future.

• @blakeyrat said:

If I were one to make easy jokes I'd say "no, because they mention Windows".

• @blakeyrat said:

Christ, a lot of *laser printers* can't hit 1024x768 pixels-per-inch!

Or maybe they make this claim so that whatever browser/screen resolution combo people use they have an excuse if the page looks crap. 

• @OzPeter said:

yeah, but does it work on 64-bit computers ?

•  @Nelle said:

@OzPeter said:

Only if you have Internet 2.0.

• @Nelle said:

@OzPeter said:

Ignoring the "per inch" error, what this really means is, "We were too lazy to make sure this works on anything other than the monitor and browser we're using right now."

• TRWTF: not only is it an extremely poor attempt at a pure CSS design, but it uses a table for layout at the bottom.

• @Zecc said:

Yeah, cuz in the future, everyone uses Ubuntu with transparent terminals and Matrix screensavers.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@tOmcOlins said:

@Zecc said:

Yeah, cuz in the future, everyone uses Ubuntu with transparent terminals and Matrix screensavers.

Having used, briefly (cow-orkers who use) Ubuntu boxes, to do stuff - is it actually possible to use that distro to do 'work' stuff rather than 'home' stuff?

My impression of it was a simulacrum of clippy's "it looks like you actually want to use this operating system. Would you like to guess root's password?"

• @PJH said:

@tOmcOlins said:

@Zecc said:

Having used, briefly (cow-orkers who use) Ubuntu boxes, to do stuff - is it actually possible to use that distro to do 'work' stuff rather than 'home' stuff?

My impression of it was a simulacrum of clippy's "it looks like you actually want to use this operating system. Would you like to guess root's password?"

Well, it's Linux, so if your "work stuff" consists solely of sorting large text files, then probably yes. Although even then it's still hard to use.

If you're an artist, musician, film editor, CAD user, etc etc etc etc... then no.

• @blakeyrat said:

@PJH said:
    @tOmcOlins said:

@Zecc said:

Well, it's Linux, so if your "work stuff" consists solely of sorting large text files, then probably yes. Although even then it's still hard to use.

If you're an artist, musician, film editor, CAD user, etc etc etc etc... then no.

Come on, be fair, you can also search through or display large text files.

• If you really wanted, you could install repositories from a real distribution (along with rpm or alien or emerge or whatever), install a new GUI and firewall and kernel, replace everything in /etc with less retarded versions, and then setup your environment.

But then, you'd have to ask yourself what the hell went wrong in your life.

• @PJH said:

@tOmcOlins said:

@Zecc said:

You work with cows? That sounds way more interesting than the subject of this thread.

• @The_Assimilator said:

@PJH said:
    cow-orkers

You work with cows? That sounds way more interesting than the subject of this thread.

Well, sort of.

• @blakeyrat said:

@PJH said:
    @tOmcOlins said:

@Zecc said:

First of all: it was just a cheap joke. I don't have an anti-Windows sentiment (except for some specific stuff on Vista that annoy the hell out of me, but which I can live with). I could have just as easily taken a jab at Firefox or Linux.

Second: if you work on LAMP-based applications for medium-sized business, yes you can and will do "work stuff".

Third: I'm currently running Linux Mint on my laptop. That's a distro based on a distro based on a distro (Mint < Ubuntu < Debian). Go ahead, laugh.

• @Zecc said:

First of all: it was just a cheap joke. I don't have an anti-Windows sentiment (except for some specific stuff on Vista that annoy the hell out of me, but which I can live with). I could have just as easily taken a jab at Firefox or Linux.

Second: if you work on LAMP-based applications for medium-sized business, yes you can and will do "work stuff".

Third: I'm currently running Linux Mint on my laptop. That's a distro based on a distro based on a distro (Mint < Ubuntu < Debian). Go ahead, laugh.

Awww, I love Linux too, let's have a love-in!

... but it's still no better at developing LAMP apps than Windows is. The only difference is that there's slightly less stuff to initially install. But then again, Windows has ASP.net which basically blows LAMP out of the water with a nuclear torpedo, so...

• @Zecc said:

I'm currently running Linux.  Go ahead, laugh.
    FTFY

• @The_Assimilator said:

@PJH said:
    @tOmcOlins said:

@Zecc said:

I once worked for a company where the CTO was an ex-Debian developer.

And he really did have cows. And there was one day when the two of us went out to herd said cows into his buddy's trailer. While we were both being paid for software development.

So there you go.

• @Joeyg said:

@The_Assimilator said:
    @PJH said:
    @tOmcOlins said:

@Zecc said:

I once worked for a company where the CTO was an ex-Debian developer.

And he really did have cows. And there was one day when the two of us went out to herd said cows into his buddy's trailer. While we were both being paid for software development.

So there you go.

Yes, but unless you had to ork them into the trailer, it's not really the same thing...