Wish-it-was-password

• Optimum Rewards website (www.optimumrewards.com) which is used to get like 20 bucks off your cable bill requires an account. Ok.

However the account must have a password. Ok.

The password must be letters only and between 4 and 8 characters long.

Discuss.

• Apparently they aren't much interested in protecting that pool of email addresses they are collecting so they can sell it to 'targeted advertisiers.'

• There are about 111,110,000 possible passwords in this scheme, I think. (10^8 + 10^7 + 10^6 + 10^5 + 10^4).

Dude, that's a fricking lot... A modern supercomputer might take HOURS break such a password!

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]There are about 111,110,000 possible passwords in this scheme, I think. (10^8 + 10^7 + 10^6 + 10^5 + 10^4).

Dude, that's a fricking lot... A modern supercomputer might take HOURS break such a password![/quote] 

There are only ten letters in your alphabet, I take it?

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]There are about 111,110,000 possible passwords in this scheme, I think. (10^8 + 10^7 + 10^6 + 10^5 + 10^4).

Dude, that's a fricking lot... A modern supercomputer might take HOURS break such a password![/quote]
    If you'd try to crack it, it might take forever.
    Since you're assuming numbers (10^x) instead of the only letters requirement OP stated (26^X, 52^X if it's case-sensitive)

• @Someone You Know said:

[quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]There are about 111,110,000 possible passwords in this scheme, I think. (10^8 + 10^7 + 10^6 + 10^5 + 10^4).

Dude, that's a fricking lot... A modern supercomputer might take HOURS break such a password!

[/quote]

I was studying Bougainville, butI dropped out'ta school before we got to the last character.

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]@Someone You Know said:

[quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]There are about 111,110,000 possible passwords in this scheme, I think. (10^8 + 10^7 + 10^6 + 10^5 + 10^4).

[/quote]

I was studying Bougainville, butI dropped out'ta school before we got to the last character.

[/quote] 

Interesting. It seems a little cruel to give the islands a name that the natives can't spell or pronounce, as they seem to lack N, V, and L.

Of course, I'd take anything that article says with a grain of salt, since it seems to claim that "ii" is a vowel in the English alphabet.

•  Will it allow a few of those crazy letters like ñ,ç,á,é,í,ó,ú that only those zany non-english speakers use?

• @Someone You Know said:

[/quote] 

Surely you mean, "hee ae e ee i ahabe I ae i?"

•  @Someone You Know said:

[/quote]

Maybe his numbers are in base 27?

<p>

<p>

<p>

<p>

<p>

<p>

<p>

<p>

<p>

•  The missing "V" consonant isn't a big problem at all. In fact, many people, depending on their accent, pronounce "V"s as "B"s.

Thus, it would sound like:

Bougainbille.

Except for the loss of the "N" consonant.

I'm sure they actually CAN make an "N" sound, at least a close approximation of it, but for simple spelling, I'd go with their "R" consonant simply because it has the softest sound.

So:

Ai, Uelkom to Bougairbille!

• It's actually a French name (the name of the explorer who found it, from the Western view), so the N isn't even an N sound--it just marks the previous vowel as nasal.