DirectX 7

•  @DescentJS said:

So you're saying that the only thing you've seen in EVE is the tiny section related to mining?

I've read EVE stories and been hugely impressed, and I want to play the game and get into it like that, but every time I try to actually play it, I just don't see where all the stories come from. I can get through the tutorials just fine, though they're boring as fuck, and then all of the "quests" after that are the same boring bullshit. There's no cohesive "this is what you're supposed to do" that I can figure out. It just seems like quest grinding as far as the eye can see. It's the only game that I've wanted to like more than I actually like it, and attempted to play it 3 or 4 times. 

• @EJ_ said:

I've read EVE stories and been hugely impressed, and I want to play the game and get into it like that, but every time I try to actually play it, I just don't see where all the stories come from. I can get through the tutorials just fine, though they're boring as fuck, and then all of the "quests" after that are the same boring bullshit. There's no cohesive "this is what you're supposed to do" that I can figure out. It just seems like quest grinding as far as the eye can see. It's the only game that I've wanted to like more than I actually like it, and attempted to play it 3 or 4 times. 

This has been my experience as well. 3 or 4 times I've really tried to get my head around it but I always burn out fast.

• @Bulb said:

@CrouchSoft said:
    So this guy starts complaining that the specs required for the game are no longer the same as when he bought the game.

Now TRWTF is people are still running hardware the doesn't support directx 8 or above (so at least a geforce 3).

TRWTF is that the spec changed. If it was free to upgrade the hardware and drivers, than it would be a very, very mild WTF not to complain rather than just upgrade. But as long as it's not free, the spec should not change. It is never ever a WTF to use old hardware.

If they have an 8yo card that does not support DX8, then chances are the following:

They have an embedded video cart (cant upgrade, duh)

They have a video interface no longer supported.

They are too cheap to spend 40 bucks on a video card.

However. A game should NOT increase the hardware requirements. To say "why don't you buy a 20 dollar video card" is like saying "why don't you spend 70 dollars for the game instead of 50, its only 20 dollars more..." chances are these people are only playing CSS and not playing anything else on these old-timer computers. A 20 dollar video card is only increasing their cost, adding no value they care about, and effectively disabled their game for them. What if Sony (through some magic) deactivated ALL PS1s/PS2s. And demanded "get a ps3 or u can't play your PS1 games (like xenogears). Now I don't own a PS3, but do own a PS1 with a mod chip since one of the two disks broke (in half) and so this magical thing sony did prevents me from playing the game I love unless I whip out 400 bucks for a new system + 150 or so or even more to buy a copy of xenogears (hard to find, collectors now). In the end while the above scenario is absolute bizzarro, I try to make an analogy, they really did screw a few people over, and I doubt they really care.

• I saw a Valve claim that they forced this update to "put all their online games on the same game engine"

Which is already false, as Left 4 Dead, L4D2, and Alien Swarm all use another engine.