Chinese Bootleggery



  • Having just recently acquired a Wii, I went shopping for games in accessories. Then I found this in a store:

    I had gone there for a Wii before, and since they didn't have one, the guy at the counter tried selling me a DS saying it was "basically the same" ("they even run the same games, why don't you take this one instead?").

    Now I found tis monstruosity, called Multigame, being advertised as compatible with the Wii. Nevermind the box says it's a 16-bit system. When I pointed out to the salesclerk that it used cartdriges instead of discs, he was brazen-faced enough to tell me that Nintendo and Sega have become partners with the company that makes Multigame, and they will be releasing games for it by December. Meanwhile it comes with 22 games in two cartdriges.

    While I searched for something else in the store, a woman came in and bought it for her kids. I overheard the talk... Her kids wanted very much a Wii, and having a cheaper alternative in the marketing made her really happy (it's about 10% the price of a Wii). I felt like telling her the truth, but I might get kicked away from the store.

    I've seen kids burst into tears and frustration with these bootlegs before. A few years ago, my then 12-year-old cousin got a polystation for her birthday. Her father thought it was the same as a PSX, only cheaper, and he was reminded by everyone that day that you really get what you pay for.

    Back to the Wii. Adding yetmore confusion to already clueless parents and dummies, a copany from around here is selling another system that, though looking less like the real thing than other clones so far (the "Vii" is so far the closest in looks), has a name that's pronnounced just the same. Behold the Wi! Which was also on sale besides the Multigame.

    After the woman went away with the Multigame I asked the salesman if I could borrow his conscience to use it as a ship anchor. He just said that people would buy the Wii just to play old NES games anyway, so what's the difference?



  • I like all the stories you've been posting, but they always make me sad. 😞



  •  I like cheap bootlegs that are obviously bootlegs and expensive bootlegs that replicate real functionality. These things are just attrocities.



  •  What I really love is that this thread will be rezzed in 3 months by a spammer advertising bootleg video game consoles.



  •  This site has SEO that good? Or their spam skills are that great?



  • @JohnWestMinor said:

    This site has SEO that good? Or their spam skills are that great?

    Both!

     

    Or, more accurately, Google's index of forums.thedailywtf.com seems to update almost instantly (try searching for this thread).  And we get a lot of threads rezzed by spam, usually because the thread itself had some relation to the spam (e.g. a 3 year old WTF involving a badly-designed home loan website attracts spammers 3 years later offering low interest rates).



  • The fact it's running on an old, unsupported version of crappy forum product might also be making it more bot-friendly than average.



  • What country are you in?  I saw stuff like this a lot when I was living in Argentina, and nobody thought there was anything particularly strange about it.



  • [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

    I felt like telling her the truth, but I might get kicked away from the store.

    I've seen kids burst into tears and frustration with these bootlegs before.

    [/quote]I think we've found TRWTF.


  • @Mason Wheeler said:

    What country are you in?  I saw stuff like this a lot when I was living in Argentina, and nobody thought there was anything particularly strange about it.

    Brazil.  It says so right under his username.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Brazil.  It says so right under his username.
     

    Well, he might be lying. Like you are.



  • @dhromed said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    Brazil.  It says so right under his username.
     

    Well, he might be lying. Like you are.

    Just check in which range my IP is. But then again, I might be behind a proxy so it's pointless, right? 😛

    If you like Sony better than Nintendo, AND you like bootlegs, the console for you is the funstation 3:



  •  Why aren't these companies being sued the shit out of?



  • My guess would be:

    - These 'companies' only exist in China, go sue them if you think you'll get anything from it.

    - The little shops selling it probably can be shot down when someone devotes effort to finding them and reporting them, but you probably won't gain much by doing it, and another one will just appear somewhere.

    - There might be some efficiency in the bullshit talk that there is no trademark violations as the names are different, and there is no false advertising as technology jargon has no precise meaning.



  • @thelvin said:

    My guess would be:

    - These 'companies' only exist in China, go sue them if you think you'll get anything from it.

    - The little shops selling it probably can be shot down when someone devotes effort to finding them and reporting them, but you probably won't gain much by doing it, and another one will just appear somewhere.

    - There might be some efficiency in the bullshit talk that there is no trademark violations as the names are different, and there is no false advertising as technology jargon has no precise meaning.

    You're half-right on the second point (Dynacom, the maker of Wi, is a well-known, legaly stablished company around here), but as for the first, some of those companies exist in Mexico, Paraguay and Brazil.

    As for the third, the polystation only works with NES cartdridges (the slot is right under the CD lid), but the box advertises it as running PSX games:

    It won't run CD's, but keep going down from A Bug's Life and you'll find this:

    Polystation is the most powerful CD-ROM based games console available.


  • I've seen those bootleg consoles in shopping mall kiosks here in the Seattle area and, most surprisingly, being sold at "Mainstreet Disney." (Which is basically an outdoor mall built between Disneyland and California Adventure.) Considering how reliant Disney is on intellectual properties, and considering that they almost certainly have power to evict tenants at any time, I was pretty shocked to see bootlegs there. (Of course, maybe the guy had just set up shop that morning and was kicked out later for all I know.)



  • Haha, I have one of those, and several famiclones. These can actually be fun, if they have a good selection of uhm... unlicensed games to go with them :-p It's like having a mini-MAME, and they are so cheap they're practically disposable. Some are actually pretty good. I have one that has Super Mario 3, Contra 1 & 2 etc. on it.

    They are very common here in Europe, especially after the proliferation of chinese import-exports and bulk toy stores. Loose copyright enforcement also helps. As for Asia/China, anything goes.

     As to why they're not sued....grey market. Obscure chinese factories are pumping them out by the millions. Kekekekeke ZERG RUSH OMG <^_^>

     

     



  • Also:

    Hilarious. (Rehosted so everyone can see it.)



  • @C4I_Officer said:

    Haha, I have one of those, and several famiclones. These can actually be fun, if they have a good selection of uhm... unlicensed game to go with them :-p It's like having a mini-MAME, and they are so cheap they're practically disposable.

     As to why they're not sued....grey market. Obscure chinese factories are pumping them out by the millions. Kekekekeke ZERG RUSH OMG <^_^>

    Famiclones were fun when the Famicom was the most advanced system on the market. I had one and was happy enough that it ran with normal NES cartdridges. But they stopped being fun the day I got a SNES.

    Curiously, though, I've never seen a Genesys or Master System clone.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Also:

    Hilarious. (Rehosted so everyone can see it.)

    Ok, so here goes the link for the polystation box: http://www.nesplayer.com/pirates/polystation/polyboxback.jpg



  • [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

    Famiclones were fun when the Famicom was the most advanced system on the market. I had one and was happy enough that it ran with normal NES cartdridges. But they stopped being fun the day I got a SNES.[/quote]

     I had one in the pre-NES-on-a-Chip era, those were actualy quite high quality products. As to how fun they are...with all this interest in retrogaming, one would think they'd be in higher demand by now. It really depends on the games and one's taste though. If they only have first-gen NES games (Mario brothers, Duck hunt, some 1986 footy or chinese mahjoong) then yeah, they're not much fun. But if they have good classic titles like Super Mario, Contra, Super Contra, Tetris, Pacman, Twinbee etc. then they are just as good as any "retrogaming" package. Of course, you'll impress no Halo graphics whores with them.

     

     [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

    Curiously, though, I've never seen a Genesys or Master System clone.

    [/quote] 

    There were some, but were much more rare, also thanks fo the NES being more extensively (and cheaply) reverse engineered, to the point of becoming a complete System-on-a-chip, improving on the original electronics' design. The "Wii" clone uses its own hardware though (probably ARM based).

     

    TRWTF is some people acting like "Oh!!! How scandalous!" when they realize that Famiclones exists. Well, tough cookie puss.



  •  @C4I_Officer said:

    TRWTF is some people acting like "Oh!!! How scandalous!" when they realize that Famiclones exists. Well, tough cookie puss.

    My problem with that is making a profit out of scamming gullible people who can't tell that no, these machines price can not drop that much overnight ; ruining christmases, birthdays, and overall grown-up persons' trust in technology-based toys ; with the same stone.

    But that's about it, really. Not a huge drama, and who says a ruined christmas and less confidence in black box toys are a problem? Not much to say against them.

     

     @C4I_Officer said:

    It won't run CD's, but keep going down from A Bug's Life and you'll
    find this:

     
    Polystation is the most powerful CD-ROM based games console available.
     
    Don't tell me you cannot bullshit your way into saying it's definitely ROM-based and CD is for Common Directory or something. Of course it doesn't hold, but I suppose you'll still need to convince people who don't give a shit whether it does before anything is done. And, well, it's enough to shoo off the kind of people who'd buy because "you did not lie."


  • @thelvin said:

     @C4I_Officer said:

    TRWTF is some people acting like "Oh!!! How scandalous!" when they realize that Famiclones exists. Well, tough cookie puss.

    My problem with that is making a profit out of scamming gullible people who can't tell that no, these machines price can not drop that much overnight ; ruining christmases, birthdays, and overall grown-up persons' trust in technology-based toys ; with the same stone.

    But that's about it, really. Not a huge drama, and who says a ruined christmas and less confidence in black box toys are a problem? Not much to say against them.

     

     @C4I_Officer said:

    It won't run CD's, but keep going down from A Bug's Life and you'll
    find this:

     
    Polystation is the most powerful CD-ROM based games console available.
     
    Don't tell me you cannot bullshit your way into saying it's definitely ROM-based and CD is for Common Directory or something. Of course it doesn't hold, but I suppose you'll still need to convince people who don't give a shit whether it does before anything is done. And, well, it's enough to shoo off the kind of people who'd buy because "you did not lie."

    Still it'll never run the games in the screenshots on the box, though.



  •  What screenshots? They're illustrations!



  • Herro this is  Chinee Bootreggery Company



  • @thelvin said:

     @C4I_Officer said:

    TRWTF is some people acting like "Oh!!! How scandalous!" when they realize that Famiclones exists. Well, tough cookie puss.

    My problem with that is making a profit out of scamming gullible people who can't tell that no, these machines price can not drop that much overnight ; ruining christmases, birthdays, and overall grown-up persons' trust in technology-based toys ; with the same stone.

     

    Well, that's just one aspect of the "matter". There are Famiclone fans like me that know very well what a Famiclone is, what to expect, etc, and why not, like collecting and playing with them. The Engrish and the exagerrated claims on the boxes are just part of the game :-p

     

     @C4I_Office didn't say said:

    It won't run CD's, but keep going down from A Bug's Life and you'll
    find this:

     
    Polystation is the most powerful CD-ROM based games console available.
     
    Don't tell me you cannot bullshit your way into saying it's definitely ROM-based and CD is for Common Directory or something. Of course it doesn't hold, but I suppose you'll still need to convince people who don't give a shit whether it does before anything is done. And, well, it's enough to shoo off the kind of people who'd buy because "you did not lie."

     

     

    Err....when did I ever say that stuff I'm quoted as saying?  In any case, yeah, some very gullible people may fall for the exaggerated claims, but for any midly knowledgeable retrogamer this is just part of the "Famiclone culture". When you get a Famiclone you also get it for the knockoff design and the impossible claims such as "32-bit technology", "3D graphics and stereo sound", etc.


    What surprises me is that Famiclones are still so obscure, while they are being pumped up in greater numbers than ever before. I have about 7 different ones, including two portable models, and several carts (I usually buy one if I like the design/the game selection or it has good quality accessories. Some have controllers which are better than your average USB PC joystick!),



  • @C4I_Officer said:

    @thelvin said:

     @C4I_Officer said:

    TRWTF is some people acting like "Oh!!! How scandalous!" when they realize that Famiclones exists. Well, tough cookie puss.

    My problem with that is making a profit out of scamming gullible people who can't tell that no, these machines price can not drop that much overnight ; ruining christmases, birthdays, and overall grown-up persons' trust in technology-based toys ; with the same stone.

     

    Well, that's just one aspect of the "matter". There are Famiclone fans like me that know very well what a Famiclone is, what to expect, etc, and why not, like collecting and playing with them. The Engrish and the exagerrated claims on the boxes are just part of the game :-p

     

    I'm with you on this. Still vendors can tell the difference between people who want to play that game and people who don't. Trick is, people who want to play it usually won't buy all units -_-°.

    @C4I_Officer said:

    Err....when did I ever say that stuff I'm quoted as saying?

    Sorry for that, my Community Server-fu is rather weak.

    @C4I_Officer said:

    Err....when did I ever say that stuff I'm quoted as saying?  In any case, yeah, some very gullible people may fall for the exaggerated claims, but for any midly knowledgeable retrogamer this is just part of the "Famiclone culture". When you get a Famiclone you also get it for the knockoff design and the impossible claims such as "32-bit technology", "3D graphics and stereo sound", etc.

    I'm not sure it's mainstream enough to be protected just for the recognised cultural value. It's about protecting the gullible customer and the copyright & trademark owner here. I don't necessarily agree with all the reasons I'd expect it fought, but anyway it's not about "but I like iiiiiiiit!"

    @C4I_Officer said:

    What surprises me is that Famiclones are still so obscure, while they are being pumped up in greater numbers than ever before. I have about 7 different ones, including two portable models, and several carts (I usually buy one if I like the design/the game selection or it has good quality accessories. Some have controllers which are better than your average USB PC joystick!)

    I only ever find them as prizes in traveling festivals' 'pull-a-string' shops and the like, but it might be because my country is rather anal about counterfeit selling. Or because I just don't know where to look.



  •  The worst part of these things is all the ruined birthdays, christmases, what have you when the parents have that smug ass look on their faces like "oh yeah, we did good with this" as they eye up junior opening his brand new Playstation 3, only to find inside some chinese garbage called "Polystation" that runs the same games he's played on his computer for free for the last 5 years.  And the kid will inevitably get grounded when he flips shit because it's disrespectful to point out to your parents that they never f%$#ing LISTEN to you, which had they, they would have easily been able to distinguish "Playstation" and "Polystation", not that it matters because it's a gift, and you should love them for it because they spent $25 of their hard earned dollars on it.

     Seriously, anyone ever notice that parents just seem to drop their entire IQ when video games come up?  My mom is one of the most intelligent people I know, but when she took to get me a game I wanted one day way back when I was a kid, explaining the difference between Playstation and N64 felt like I was trying to explain color to a dog.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Master Chief said:

    Seriously, anyone ever notice that parents just seem to drop their entire IQ when video games come up?  My mom is one of the most intelligent people I know, but when she took to get me a game I wanted one day way back when I was a kid, explaining the difference between Playstation and N64 felt like I was trying to explain color to a dog.
    Mine were actually pretty good about it, but my dad had been an Atari + arcade maniac as a younger person and my mom prettymuch just went with whatever we wanted (nerf weaponry notwithstanding.) Christmas shopping consisted of a hilarious ritual where mom would walk through the store with a cart and my brother and I in it and see what we wanted for christmas, with my dad following a few yards behind with another cart, grabbing any item she pointed out.



  • @Master Chief said:

     Seriously, anyone ever notice that parents just seem to drop their entire IQ when video games come up?  My mom is one of the most intelligent people I know, but when she took to get me a game I wanted one day way back when I was a kid, explaining the difference between Playstation and N64 felt like I was trying to explain color to a dog.

     

    Some day when your nagging spawn is pulling at your pantleg saying "daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, video game, daddy, daddy, daddy" you'll eventually just tune it out, and then how are you supposed to know which fucking console they wanted; they'll just step on it or pee in it anyway, so why get the $300 one when there's a $50 one that breaks in the same amount of time.

    Just kidding of course 🙂 

    About the parents being clueless thing - My parents are very smart and "with it" and my Dad has said things like "I always told myself that I'd like the music my kids listen to, my parents didn't like my music and that always bothered me but... I can't stand your music" while listening to something I brought up, haha. I think it's just a generational thing, even if you tell yourself "I'll get my kids" there'll be things that you just won't be able to fathom. I'm a soon-to-be parent and wondering the same things myself, will there be videogames or music or whatnot that my kid likes that just makes me think "what the fuck is this shit?" 



  • Well my mother can't even use a PC, but my father always knew the difference between a Genesys and a SNES, at least.

    I taught my nephews and nieces that writting down the names of the systems they want and not accepting even a one letter deviation solves the problem. Or, better yet, be there with your parents when they go buying it.



  • [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]Well my mother can't even use a PC, but my father always knew the difference between a Genesys and a SNES, at least.[/quote]

    Hm...

    [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]not accepting even a one letter deviation solves the problem.[/quote]

    Like with the Genesis?

    (Yes, I'm making fun of typos.)



  • @blakeyrat said:

    [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]Well my mother can't even use a PC, but my father always knew the difference between a Genesys and a SNES, at least.

    Hm...

    [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]not accepting even a one letter deviation solves the problem.[/quote]

    Like with the Genesis?

    (Yes, I'm making fun of typos.)

    [/quote]

    Oh give me a break, I'm too old to care about how these things are spelled.

    I'll have that one that's just 1/5th of the price of the other one with the same name.



  • [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]Well my mother can't even use a PC, but my father always knew the difference between a Genesys and a SNES, at least.

    I taught my nephews and nieces that writting down the names of the systems they want and not accepting even a one letter deviation solves the problem. Or, better yet, be there with your parents when they go buying it.[/quote] 

    Hoo boy.   I remember the time my mom bought a scanner.  She's better at using computers than a lot of parents, but she doesn't know much about the technical aspects.  She'd been talking about wanting a scanner, and I said to make sure to bring me along when she went to get one.  So one day I came home and she's got a new scanner, and is asking for my help hooking it up.  facepalm

    Turns out she bought a newfangled USB scanner, and the computer she had didn't have any USB ports on it. facepalm #2 (Yes, this will date my story a little.  It was right around the time when USB was just starting to be seriously adopted by a lot of PC manufacturers.)

    So I told her it wouldn't connect to her computer because it was too old to use the type of connector the scanner had.  I said she should take it back the next Saturday and bring me along so we could exchange it for something that I could make sure would work.

    Instead, she went out (on her own, again,) and bought a new computer with USB ports.  And it had Windows ME installed. facepalm #3



  • @Mason Wheeler said:

    my mom
     

    Man.

    Your mom sucks.

    At least I can watch SF with mine.



  • [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]Ok, so here goes the link for the polystation box: http://www.nesplayer.com/pirates/polystation/polyboxback.jpg[/quote]



  •  At the risk of being obvious, I'll post this link:

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System_hardware_clone

     just so some people can realize the extent and durability of this phenomenon. If you see a chinese console with exagerrated claims,  99% of the time it will be a Famiclone of sorts. The "Wi", "Vi" etc. seem to use some more capable hardware, but as I have one, I can testify that the available games suck ass and you'd have more fun with a "100 in 1" Famiclone, most of the time.

     

    There even was an US-based company that tried to make a "legitimate" NES clone, the Generation NEX "Messiah" which however is just like any other Famiclone hardware-wise, only more expensive and with no built-in games. Even its legitimacy is dubious.

     



  • I imagine that, in the US, Nintendo goes after the ones that include games.

     Right now, Nintendo makes a pretty penny off of its Wii Virtual Console sales.  NES games are $5 USD [b]each[/b] on it, after all.



  • @EJ_ said:

    Some day when your nagging spawn is pulling at your pantleg saying "daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, video game, daddy, daddy, daddy" you'll eventually just tune it out, and then how are you supposed to know which fucking console they wanted; they'll just step on it or pee in it anyway, so why get the $300 one when there's a $50 one that breaks in the same amount of time.

    Just kidding of course 🙂 

    About the parents being clueless thing - My parents are very smart and "with it" and my Dad has said things like "I always told myself that I'd like the music my kids listen to, my parents didn't like my music and that always bothered me but... I can't stand your music" while listening to something I brought up, haha. I think it's just a generational thing, even if you tell yourself "I'll get my kids" there'll be things that you just won't be able to fathom. I'm a soon-to-be parent and wondering the same things myself, will there be videogames or music or whatnot that my kid likes that just makes me think "what the fuck is this shit?" 

     

    It has nothing to do with being "with it," it's English comprehension.  Or, in this case, the parents in question simply not listening to their child.  



  • @Master Chief said:

    It has nothing to do with being "with it," it's English comprehension.  Or, in this case, the parents in question simply not listening to their child.  

     

     

    Whaddya sayin'? Dat dem beepin' boxes ya hook to yer TV ain't all the same?! They damn sure look all the same to me! (with a hillbilly accent).



  •  I hate you people so much.

     All I ever had was a 286 when I was 10 and then only during the summers (long story). I had to pay with my own money to get a Sound Blaster(compatible) card for it. The next thing I managed to get my hands on was a P75 years later and even then had to pay for the CD-ROM myself because it only had a floppy drive.



  • @DOA said:

     I hate you people so much.

     All I ever had was a 286 when I was 10 and then only during the summers (long story). I had to pay with my own money to get a Sound Blaster(compatible) card for it. The next thing I managed to get my hands on was a P75 years later and even then had to pay for the CD-ROM myself because it only had a floppy drive.

    And they still wouldn't play Darwinia, so I think you've got another gaming machine between then and now.



  • [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]@DOA said:

     I hate you people so much.

     All I ever had was a 286 when I was 10 and then only during the summers (long story). I had to pay with my own money to get a Sound Blaster(compatible) card for it. The next thing I managed to get my hands on was a P75 years later and even then had to pay for the CD-ROM myself because it only had a floppy drive.

    And they still wouldn't play Darwinia, so I think you've got another gaming machine between then and now.[/quote]

    Maybe they just refused to play it because it's so boring.



  • [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

    And they still wouldn't play Darwinia, so I think you've got another
    gaming machine between then and now.[/quote]Well, obviously. Those were the machines I had when I was kid. Darwinia? That 286 was so underpowered that even though I could play Civilization, it complained that there wasn't enough memory to save the game. So I'd start a game, play all day long and the next day I'd start all over again. I got really good at the early ages in Civilization.

    Godammit I feel like those old people complaining about how in their day all they had to play with was a couple of sticks and a piece of string. 

    @blakeyrat said:

    Maybe they just refused to play it because it's so boring.
    That's it, it's the ignore list for you.




  • @DOA said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Maybe they just refused to play it because it's so boring.
    That's it, it's the ignore list for you.
    </p>

    Bad publicity is publicity too.

    I'm going to download the demo and play it.

    Am I correct in assuming it's basically a swarming RTS thing?

    This too, but it's fairly uncontrollable.



  • @dhromed said:

    @DOA said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Maybe they just refused to play it because it's so boring.
    That's it, it's the ignore list for you.
    </p>

    Bad publicity is publicity too.

    I'm going to download the demo and play it.

    Am I correct in assuming it's basically a swarming RTS thing?

    This too, but it's fairly uncontrollable.

     

    Darwinia is kind of an RTS, but you have really limited troop numbers.  As I recall, you only start with the ability to have 3 units (and they all have a basic AI), but you can spawn new troops from control nodes when they die or you destroy them.  As I recall, you can also directly control where your fighter units shoot.

    The main goal of the game is to  guide the (mostly) defenseless green units that you don't directly control to various objectives on the map.

    I think Darwinia and Multiwinia (the multiplayer version of the same game) are on sale through Steam this week if you do decide to get it;  I can't see Steam's pages from work, but both the Darwinia and Multiwinia page links on Google says something about "Save 87%."



  • @powerlord said:

    @dhromed said:

    @DOA said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Maybe they just refused to play it because it's so boring.
    That's it, it's the ignore list for you.
    </p>

    Bad publicity is publicity too.

    I'm going to download the demo and play it.

    Am I correct in assuming it's basically a swarming RTS thing?

    This too, but it's fairly uncontrollable.

     

    Darwinia is kind of an RTS, but you have really limited troop numbers.  As I recall, you only start with the ability to have 3 units (and they all have a basic AI), but you can spawn new troops from control nodes when they die or you destroy them.  As I recall, you can also directly control where your fighter units shoot.

    The main goal of the game is to  guide the (mostly) defenseless green units that you don't directly control to various objectives on the map.

    I think Darwinia and Multiwinia (the multiplayer version of the same game) are on sale through Steam this week if you do decide to get it;  I can't see Steam's pages from work, but both the Darwinia and Multiwinia page links on Google says something about "Save 87%."


    The little green things that are shaped like DOA's avatar are only defenseless until you research them to version 3.0. By the latest version the little critters will be able to throw grenades just like your troopers. Now, you can have two or three dozens of troopers at most in a map, but I think you can go beyond 10.000 darwinians... With all of them swarming on the enemy and throwing grenades, they are a force that would make the zerg feel ashamed. Bonus if you bestow them with tanks, which they will convert into huge turret guns. Which turns out to be the only efficient way to kill the soul destroyers.



  • [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]The little green things that are shaped like DOA's avatar are only defenseless until you research them to version 3.0. By the latest version the little critters will be able to throw grenades just like your troopers.[/quote] 

    Just be sure to research the grenades too, thereby increasing their range. At the first couple of levels of research, the grenades' range is so short that the grenade-happy Darwinians will be constantly tossing explosives into their own formations.



  • I never gave them grenades after my first trials with it.  Even with the longest range possible, they still killed each other way too often.  Also, you can kill soul destroyers with properly timed rockets too.



  • @DOA said:

    Godammit I feel like those old people complaining about how in their day all they had to play with was a couple of sticks and a piece of string. 
     

    You had a piece of string? You lucky bugger. We were happy to be beaten over the head with a couple of sticks.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.