Minor Ad Creative WTF

• Just as advice to anybody making creatives for ad campaigns... it's generally a bad idea to use a transparent .gif:

(In case you can't see it at all, "What makes our cloud different?" is white text on an extremely light grey background.)

Edit: Ok, I give up trying to shrink the image down, you'll just have to look at the full-size version. HTML width/height doesn't work, neither does CSS width/height. What I see in Preview has no resemblance to the actual post. Pork delivery's late.

[Mod: Added overflow: auto, which is really all you need.  -bs]

• 🚽 Regular

I think this is what they intended. Afterall, since most websites use a white or at least a light background, it would look completely lost if their ad was on those websites.

The contrast leaves some to be desired, but it's not impossible to read, and they at least chose a neutral color that wouldn't otherwise clash with a colorful background. Of course, your experience varies depending on your monitor settings, and I'll bet if your screen is low quality or your contrast settings are screwed up it's much harder to read.

•  It makes sense.  It's a cloud.  Clouds are un-visible.

• @RHuckster said:

I think this is what they intended. Afterall, since most websites use a white or at least a light background, it would look completely lost if their ad was on those websites. The contrast leaves some to be desired, but it's not impossible to read, and they at least chose a neutral color that wouldn't otherwise clash with a colorful background.

That might make sense is the text was grey, assuming that the site background would either be white or darker. But this creative has white text, and tons of sites have white backgrounds.

@RHuckster said:

Of course, your experience varies depending on your monitor settings, and I'll bet if your screen is low quality or your contrast settings are screwed up it's much harder to read.

Well they're not exactly in control of their potential client's contrast settings. :)

I think there's supposed to be a background layer and the file got saved wrong.

• @morbiuswilters said:

It makes sense.  It's a cloud.  Clouds are un-visible.
    "Hey, that cloud looks like it spells out 'What makes our cloud different?'!"

"You idiot, that's not what it is; it's clearly a bunny riding a moped."

"Oh, yeah, now I see it."

• I don't get it... are you referring to the white text "What makes our cloud different?" on the grey background? I can see it clearly. Might be your monitor settings?

• @Abdiel said:

I don't get it... are you referring to the white text "What makes our cloud different?" on the grey background? I can see it clearly. Might be your monitor settings?

And what happens on sites with white backgrounds?

• @DescentJS said:

Magic!

Profits!

And a romantic happy end!

• @dhromed said:

@DescentJS said:

Magic!

Profits!

Subliminial advertising...

• @XAPBob said:

@dhromed said:

@DescentJS said:

Magic!

Profits!

Subliminial advertising...

Christ, I am soo thirsty..  I could really go for the crisp, refreshing taste of a Cloud Computing!

• @DescentJS said:

@Abdiel said:

I don't get it... are you referring to the white text "What makes our cloud different?" on the grey background? I can see it clearly. Might be your monitor settings?

cf. "Sponsored by"

• 🚽 Regular

@blakeyrat said:

That might make sense is the text was grey, assuming that the site background would either be white or darker. But this creative has white text, and tons of sites have white backgrounds.

My point was they created this creative especially for TDWTF. Otherwise, as you and I say, it would be completely invisible to most websites, and I'd think (hope) they'd realize that.

@blakeyrat said:

Well they're not exactly in control of their potential client's contrast settings. :)

True enough. Besides, who uses gif's in their advertising anyway? Everyone uses flash nowadays!

• @RHuckster said:

My point was they created this creative especially for TDWTF. Otherwise, as you and I say, it would be completely invisible to most websites, and I'd think (hope) they'd realize that.

It's mostly invisible on DailyWTF. So if that was the intent, then they've still failed.

• @blakeyrat said:

@RHuckster said:
    I think this is what they intended. Afterall, since most websites use a white or at least a light background, it would look completely lost if their ad was on those websites. The contrast leaves some to be desired, but it's not impossible to read, and they at least chose a neutral color that wouldn't otherwise clash with a colorful background.

Or, a web page can use default background, meaning it isn't set. In this case it can be visible depending on the user's browser setting instead. But you should not assume a default, if you want to set the color, set both or neither. (In most cases, you don't need to set any colors (or fonts) in your web page, since the default is sufficient, this is what I use, is to just don't set any colors or whatever)