Sold Out

•  

Discounting that TRWTF is World of Warcraft, etc., how exactly do you sell out of digital game time?  I sort of understand for limited edition products, etc, but this is monthly game time.

•  @Shishire said:

how exactly do you sell out of digital game time

<font size="7">DERE IZ NO TIME!</font>

• I would guess that this is a reseller and they got given a batch of codes from Blizzard (it's unlikely Blizzard would give out the time code generator) and they ran out of codes.

• No, this is definitely the Blizzard store, but it makes sense when you know how the system works. Basically, every item in the Blizzard store has to have a quantity set. They usually just set a super high number and keep bumping that up, as there's no way of saying "infinite" for some reason.

You just got unlucky in that they forgot to bump the count back up. It should be fixed shortly.

• @JamesKilton said:

They usually just set a super high number and keep bumping that up, as there's no way of saying "infinite" for some reason.

You just got unlucky in that they forgot to bump the count back up.

It seems hard to believe that they're reached the limit of int or bigint.

• Another possibility is a slight variation of my first idea, which is that they pre-generate the codes in batches, instead of on-demand, and they've run out of pre-generated codes.

• @dhromed said:

@JamesKilton said:

They usually just set a super high number and keep bumping that up, as there's no way of saying "infinite" for some reason.

You just got unlucky in that they forgot to bump the count back up.

It seems hard to believe that they're reached the limit of int or bigint.

Who says it has to be that big of a type?

• @JamesKilton said:

Basically, every item in the Blizzard store has to have a quantity set. They usually just set a super high number and keep bumping that up, as there's no way of saying "infinite" for some reason. You just got unlucky in that they forgot to bump the count back up.
    The power of Cron compels them! The power of Cron compels them!

• @Lingerance said:

@JamesKilton said:
    Basically, every item in the Blizzard store has to have a quantity set. They usually just set a super high number and keep bumping that up, as there's no way of saying "infinite" for some reason. You just got unlucky in that they forgot to bump the count back up.
    The power of Cron compels them! The power of Cron compels them!
    Cron?  What?  No, the update guy's name is Jeff.  But he was on vacation last week.

• @JamesKilton said:

No, this is definitely the Blizzard store, but it makes sense when you know how the system works. Basically, every item in the Blizzard store has to have a quantity set. They usually just set a super high number and keep bumping that up, as there's no way of saying "infinite" for some reason.

You just got unlucky in that they forgot to bump the count back up. It should be fixed shortly.

Well... it's been that way for the past week.  I agree that it's probably some pregenerated batch of codes or something, but...

• It's only the 30-day ones, maybe they've decided to stop selling them?

• @Shishire said:

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=110000004

What's really amazing is how they happen to be using XSLT in lieu of a server-side templating system.

• @MiffTheFox said:

@Shishire said:

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=110000004

What's really amazing is how they happen to be using XSLT in lieu of a server-side templating system.

Welcome to my previous web development job. You want XSLT templates? We had a million of'em (roughly)!

• @Thief^ said:

It's only the 30-day ones, maybe they've decided to stop selling them?
    That'd be a good suggestion provided that they actually sold game time in other quantities.

• CREATE TRIGGER FixOurCrappySoftware ON Inventory FOR UPDATE
    AS
    BEGIN
    IF (SELECT available FROM Inventory WHERE product_type='virtual') < 10000
    UPDATE Inventory SET available=500000 WHERE product_type='virtual'
    END

Is it really that hard to do automation?  Sure, it's not that elegant, but it would work.

• Another minor WTF is that through worldofwarcraft.com, you can't just buy one month at a time; instead you have to sign up for a recurring monthly subscription.  But through one of Blizzard's other properties you can buy one month at a time without a subscription...

• @Lingerance said:

@Thief^ said:
    It's only the 30-day ones,
    maybe they've decided to stop selling them?
    That'd be a good
    suggestion provided that they actually sold game time in other
    quantities.

They do, yes. They're not sold out of the 90 day or 180 day ones.

• @Thief^ said:

@Lingerance said:
    @Thief^ said:
    It's only the 30-day ones,
    maybe they've decided to stop selling them?
    That'd be a good
    suggestion provided that they actually sold game time in other
    quantities.
    They do, yes. They're not sold out of the 90 day or 180 day ones.
    Gah, me is fail.

• @powerlord said:

Another minor WTF is that through worldofwarcraft.com, you can't just buy one month at a time; instead you have to sign up for a recurring monthly subscription.  But through one of Blizzard's other properties you can buy one month at a time without a subscription...

I re-upped my WOW account after about 2 years of not playing. (I'm an off-and-on WOW player; I'm working towards my first level 80 char.)

I asked a buddy who still plays what the deal was with the horse that looks like it's made out of nebula... "buy it on the store." $25!! The latest expansion has done nothing but added pointless paid services. You can buy a name change. You can buy a race change. You can buy a faction change. You can buy a mount. You can buy stupid pointless pets.

Complete heel-face turn. It's $15/month, but now it has all the idiocy of a free-to-play MMO! The worst of both worlds!

• @blakeyrat said:

@powerlord said:

Another minor WTF is that through worldofwarcraft.com, you can't just buy one month at a time; instead you have to sign up for a recurring monthly subscription.  But through one of Blizzard's other properties you can buy one month at a time without a subscription...

I re-upped my WOW account after about 2 years of not playing. (I'm an off-and-on WOW player; I'm working towards my first level 80 char.)

I asked a buddy who still plays what the deal was with the horse that looks like it's made out of nebula... "buy it on the store." $25!! The latest expansion has done nothing but added pointless paid services. You can buy a name change. You can buy a race change. You can buy a faction change. You can buy a mount. You can buy stupid pointless pets.

Complete heel-face turn. It's $15/month, but now it has all the idiocy of a free-to-play MMO! The worst of both worlds!

Agreed.  I hate it.  I hate them for doing it. I hate myself for being addicted.  I wish I wasn't, but I'm like a crack addict.  It's annoying how successful Blizzard is at getting people to part with their money.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.