Java's Applet layout tools.

• @blakeyrat said:

Of course, since this Java app is using non-standard widgets, Windows will have to resort to just scaling the bitmap and it'll look like ass. But... it's not magic.
    It does the exact same thing with native applications - a blurry mess (looks especially awful on text, since it's rendered with ClearType, then scaled, so you get rainbows everywhere). It only activates if you set DPI above 120 anyway - at 120DPI, it'll still use the XP way for all programs.

• @ender said:

It does the exact same thing with native applications - a blurry mess (looks especially awful on text, since it's rendered with ClearType, then scaled, so you get rainbows everywhere). It only activates if you set DPI above 120 anyway - at 120DPI, it'll still use the XP way for all programs.

I'm 99% certain that when I tried it, it redrew all the widgets and re-rendered all the fonts to look good. Are you 100% sure you were looking at a native app? Even that screenshot of scaled GIMP that was posted above looks better than you're describing it.

I'd test it now, except it requires a reboot and I'm trying to get work done. (Believe it or not.) I might give it a look later this afternoon and send some screenshots.

Edit: Wait a minute, I just realized you're probably using GIMP as your baseline, since you posted the screenshot. In that case: GIMP isn't even remotely close to a native app-- GTK+ is embarassingly awful in Windows.

• @blakeyrat said:

I'm 99% certain that when I tried it, it redrew all the widgets and re-rendered all the fonts to look good. Are you 100% sure you were looking at a native app?
    I first saw it happen with NSIS-based installer.@blakeyrat said:
    Even that screenshot of scaled GIMP that was posted above looks better than you're describing it.
    I've got that screenshot because I used it in a bug report in GIMP's bugzilla - once you add a dpiAware manifest to it, it looks like this.@blakeyrat said:
    Edit: Wait a minute, I just realized you're probably using GIMP as your baseline, since you posted the screenshot. In that case: GIMP isn't even remotely close to a native app-- GTK+ is embarassingly awful in Windows.
    I only used GIMP screenshot because I had it handy. The rendering is exactly the same for native applications (the MSDN article explains in detail how it's done).

• Someone who is still a student suggesting a poor replacement for Swing layout system is a tiny tiny mistake compared to the colossal clusterf**c WTF that is the Swing layout system. If you try to code it by hand, you end up with something unusable and horrible. When you use IDE tools you are forever tied to use those tools (no switching from NetBeans to Eclipse, ever). In NetBeans those tools make it easy to produce unmaintainable garage and accidentally delete a magical hidden comments that are critically important for NetBeans.

The entire Swing feels like it was designed by people who have never created interfaces or used frameworks of any kind. Most of what you need is sort of there, but pain in the ass to use. Some of the things you would definitely need are either missing from the SDK version you are using or broken in the version you are using (no obvious feature like table sorting in this version, but in the next. Sun was more like Apple than most ever knew.).

If for some reason you do not yet hate Swing, never take a look how same thing are done in Qt. E.g., in Qt you set widgets into a layout with what ever methods make sense with that layout and most of the time you end up what you meant. In Swing you set layout into a widget and add widgets into a widget (wtf?), get Picasso style layout, give up because documentation says layout classes are meant for use by IDEs, and use graphical tools in IDE to produce garbage that will not look right on any other platform.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Bloodboiler said:

colossal clusterf**c

While I appreciate you protecting my sensibilities with your redacted swears, you've instead just piqued my interest. I must know what a f**c is.

• @Lorne Kates said:

@Bloodboiler said:

colossal clusterf**c

While I appreciate you protecting my sensibilities with your redacted swears, you've instead just piqued my interest. I must know what a f**c is.

Well, the only return I got grepping for "^f..c$" in my words file was "floc".  According to this site, that means:

A clump of solids formed in sewage by biological or chemical action.

So it's not half bad as a curse word.

• @bstorer said:

@Lorne Kates said:

@Bloodboiler said:

colossal clusterf**c

Well, the only return I got grepping for "^f..c$" in my words file was "floc".  According to this site, that means:

Similar to "kloc", meaning "kilo lines of code" (1,000 lines), "floc" is "femto lines of code", or 10<FONT size=2>−15 lines. For instance, "this system has a WTF in every single floc!". I assume that a clusterfloc refers to an unknown or unspecified amount of floc.</FONT>

• @bstorer said:

@Lorne Kates said:

@Bloodboiler said:

colossal clusterf**c

Evidently, your words file is better than mine.  The only hits I got were in the Catalan and Polish dictionaries.  Catalan?  Is that some Battlestar Gallactica bullshit, like Klingon?  Fucking FSF nerds, I tell ya.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:

@Lorne Kates said:

@Bloodboiler said:

colossal clusterf**c

Evidently, your words file is better than mine.  The only hits I got were in the Catalan and Polish dictionaries.  Catalan?  Is that some Battlestar Gallactica bullshit, like Klingon?  Fucking FSF nerds, I tell ya.

No, stupid.  Settlers of Catalan is a board game.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Gallactica

You misspelled Galactica.

Prepare to die.