Skills necessary for undertaking this project

• Among the bullet points:

- MySQL (basic knowledge of SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, TRUNCATE, DELETE queries) - HTML/CSS (development using a text editor without syntax highlighting)

• Other bullet points included:

-Perl (development using punch cards in a darkened room)

-Prolog (real-time embedded programming)

-Willingness to be beaten (billy club or crowbar preferred)

-Hot pokers (basic knowledge of how to insert in own anus)

•  Do you have to build your own workstation starting with a box of sand and rocks too?

• @ulzha said:

Among the bullet points:

- MySQL (basic knowledge of SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, TRUNCATE, DELETE queries) - HTML/CSS (development using a text editor without syntax highlighting)

Now I don't want to sound all beardy and old, but I would require people doing web development to be able to type html without syntax highlighting.  Unless of course they actually they ARE developing using only a text editor without syntax highlighting.
    I'm going to guess it's probably the later, but in all honesty I would expect from any webdeveloper, even interns perhaps to be able to type HTML without it being purple and pink.

• @stratos said:

I'm going to guess it's probably the later, but in all honesty I would expect from any webdeveloper, even interns perhaps to be able to type HTML without it being purple and pink.
    I can't code HTML unless it looks like the Easter bunny exploded all over it.

• @stratos said:

Now I don't want to sound all beardy and old, but I would require people doing web development to be able to type html without syntax highlighting.  Unless of course they actually they ARE developing using only a text editor without syntax highlighting.

You sound old.

I don't know if you sound beardy, because I can't really "hear" a beard, unless it's rubbing against my cheek and ear. And we don't want that.

In any case, the only thing I expect from a webdeveloper when they write their code, is that they write good, valid, clean code in a fast and efficient manner. I don't care if they use dreamweaver or if they are blind and have to dictate the code to their trained monkey.

• @bstorer said:

I can't code HTML unless it looks like the Easter bunny exploded all over it.

You mean: I can't code HTML, I use Word's save-as-html feature.

• @fatdog said:

the only thing I expect from a webdeveloper when they write their code, is that they write good, valid, clean code in a fast and efficient manner.
    To paraphrase an old saying: good, valid, clean, fast, efficient: pick two.

• @bstorer said:

@fatdog said:

the only thing I expect from a webdeveloper when they write their code, is that they write good, valid, clean code in a fast and efficient manner.

NO! you pick two.

I'll have all them four, and add one more: CHEAP

• @fatdog said:

@bstorer said:

@fatdog said:

NO! you pick two.

Apparently what you won't have is a mastery of basic counting skills.  Typical Mexican.  Don't quit your day (labor) job.

• @bstorer said:

@fatdog said:

@bstorer said:

@fatdog said:

NO! you pick two.

Apparently what you won't have is a mastery of basic counting skills.  Typical Mexican.  Don't quit your day (labor) job.

Ohhhh, so that's where that missing K went

• @bstorer said:

@fatdog said:

@bstorer said:

@fatdog said:

NO! you pick two.

Bleh
    I too have failed to count, but it's okay because i was doing a nice and warm dirty sanchez on morbs again

• @ulzha said:

Among the bullet points:
    • MySQL (basic knowledge of SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, TRUNCATE, DELETE queries)
    • HTML/CSS (development using a text editor without syntax highlighting)
    ... oh god... I bet the HTML is stored in the database along with the data, too. >_<

• @stratos said:

@ulzha said:

Among the bullet points:

It's not so much that this is a requirement, just think about why it would be stated this way.  If they wanted someone that was good with HTML/CSS, they should have asked for it.  Instead they specifically asked for either a masochist, or someone so inexperienced that they haven't settled on a favorite development environment yet.  As for the MySQL part, I find it funny that they added TRUNCATE to the list of things the person should know.  Here is the documentation for the TRUNCATE statement in MySQL.  If a candidate can't figure that one out from the documentation, then they should just quit IT.

• @Jaime said:

Here is the documentation for the TRUNCATE statement in MySQL.  If a candidate can't figure that one out from the documentation, then they should just quit IT.

Sigh  And I thought was doing so well.  Could we just pretend I actually had to look at the documentation to understand that one?  I don't want to go back to bagging groceries.

Actually, doing a Google search, I think I understand what's so difficult to understand about TRUNCATE: it doesn't have a bunch of options.

• :belt_onion:

@fatdog said:

@bstorer said:

@fatdog said:

NO! you pick two.

I call your CHEAP and raise you CROSS BROWSER COMPATIBILITY

• @bstorer said:

Other bullet points included:

-Perl (development using punch cards in a darkened room)

-Prolog (real-time embedded programming)

-Willingness to be beaten (billy club or crowbar preferred)

-Hot pokers (basic knowledge of how to insert in own anus)

Prolog?! There is a line you know.

• @TwelveBaud said:

@ulzha said:
    Among the bullet points:

• MySQL (basic knowledge of SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, TRUNCATE, DELETE queries)
    • HTML/CSS (development using a text editor without syntax highlighting)

... oh god... I bet the HTML is stored in the database along with the data, too. >_<

offcourse. and you'll be required to edit it through MySQL Query browser. happened to me once...

oh, wait...

@TwelveBaud said:

basic knowledge of SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE

maybe they expect you to write the html directly in queries through command line

• I'm sorry, that's a string bet; you won't be allowed to put your CROSS BROWSER COMPATIBILITY in the pot at this time. The betting stands at good, valid, clean, fast, efficient and CHEAP.

anyway, it's a bad way to say they want someone who actually knows html and css. unless they really are going to force the developer to use notepad even going so far as to disallow free alternatives that do color coding. which is definitely how I would impose it, at least for a while. I might even remove some keys from his keyboard and make him use a paperclip for those. imagine how happy that developer would be to find notepad++ added to his system after months of having his spirit broken.

• Well, despite popular opinion HTML and CSS is actually quite hard to master.  Sure, making a page that looks great when you watch it is easy. But making a page that looks great in all current browsers as well with dynamic content and changing conditions is a different thing all together.

You would be amazed (or perhaps not, i dunno) at the amount of code monkeys that do web development that don't even understand what the fundemental difference is between a block level element or a inline element or why they behave the way they do. Or the sheer look of unbelief on their faces when you tell them to look it up in the xhtml or html spec on the w3c pages. Amazed at finding out CSS actually works via a point system.

Now that has little to do with code highlighting or not, but asking about html/css is absolutely something that needs to be checked when hiring webdevs.

• @stratos said:

Well, despite popular opinion HTML and CSS is actually quite hard to master.  Sure, making a page that looks great when you watch it is easy. But making a page that looks great in all current browsers as well with dynamic content and changing conditions is a different thing all together.

You would be amazed (or perhaps not, i dunno) at the amount of code monkeys that do web development that don't even understand what the fundemental difference is between a block level element or a inline element or why they behave the way they do. Or the sheer look of unbelief on their faces when you tell them to look it up in the xhtml or html spec on the w3c pages. Amazed at finding out CSS actually works via a point system.

Now that has little to do with code highlighting or not, but asking about html/css is absolutely something that needs to be checked when hiring webdevs.

Which is exactly why we all call it a WTF when the person looking for an HTML/CSS developer asks only if the job seeker can work without tools rather than specify the required level of expertise.  My experience shows little correlation between someone's tool of choice and their understanding of web development, with the obvious exception of FrontPage.

• @stratos said:

Well, despite popular opinion HTML and CSS is actually quite hard to master.  Sure, making a page that looks great when you watch it is easy. But making a page that looks great in all current browsers as well with dynamic content and changing conditions is a different thing all together.

+10

Mostly just defending one of my primary expertises, but eh. :)

• @Jaime said:

It's not so much that this is a requirement, just think about why it would be stated this way.  If they wanted someone that was good with HTML/CSS, they should have asked for it.  Instead they specifically asked for either a masochist, or someone so inexperienced that they haven't settled on a favorite development environment yet.  As for the MySQL part, I find it funny that they added TRUNCATE to the list of things the person should know.  Here is the documentation for the TRUNCATE statement in MySQL.  If a candidate can't figure that one out from the documentation, then they should just quit IT.

What's scary is that they use it enough to put it in the job listing. What are they just constantly creating, processing, then emptying the same table over and over?

• @blakeyrat said:

@Jaime said:

What's scary is that they use it enough to put it in the job listing. What are they just constantly creating, processing, then emptying the same table over and over?

Apparently they're truncating the table with the HTML code nightly, and someone has to rekey it every day.

• @Medezark said:

@blakeyrat said:

@Jaime said:

Apparently they're truncating the table with the HTML code nightly, and someone has to rekey it every day.

The CEO doesn't want anyone to steal his valuable HTML codes, so every night before going to bed he calls the lead developer and has him empty the database.  He expects it re-entered from memory the next morning before he arrives for work at 11:30.  Using backups is forbidden because somebody might steal the backup files.