Good Morning

• How was your weekend?

•  Gay and slippery.

• I ran the controls for a giant head that spewed fog from its mouth. Lights, strobes, fog, etc for powerglove. All done from behind the drum riser while doing shots of whiskey with sonata arctica's tour manager.  was hella fun :)  although the hangover on sunday sucked. 

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Thursday: Work, then dunk.

Friday: Visiting parent, then drunk

Saturday: Sleep, then drunk

Sunday: In-laws first, then OH's friends round. Sober.

Today: Making up for Sunday's sobriety.

Tomorrow: Work. Yeuck. At least it's only a 4 day week.

• @PJH said:

Who doesn't love a good game of basketball?

@PJH said:

Why in God's name would you be sober for the in-laws and a bunch of catty friends?

@PJH said:

WTF?  Why are you off today

@morbiuswilters said:

@PJH said:

Who doesn't love a good game of basketball?

Oh fuck! I certainly don't.

@morbiuswilters said:

@PJH said:

Why in God's name would you be sober for the in-laws and a bunch of catty friends?

Neither are actually that bad. Sobriety was sorta self imposed from the basketball on Thurs and the cumulative effects of alchohol on subsequent days.

@morbiuswilters said:

@PJH said:

WTF?  Why are you off today

UK. 'Bank holiday (though technically Easter) Monday.'

Easter break, while it moves around, always involves both Friday and Monday off. I think we're second only to the Hong Kong (stock) market for totally random days off during the year, where not only the banks, but most 9-5 businesses, take days off.

Except for good Friday, and Xmas&New year, they're always on Mondays. This year, we have 2 more in May, 2 in August (though I'm sure one of those is normally in September) and that's it until December. We don't have one in July and we don't have anything equating to Thanksgiving.

The moveable ones, if they appear on a weekend end up being days in lieu on the next working days. e.g. 25th Dec on a Sat results in the next Monday and Tuesday being holidays, though I suspect that also happens in left-pondia.

) Trivia: Re 'UK'; England has one day's holiday around 1st of Jan (see Xmas above.) Scotland (only) has two. Ireland has 17th March (St Patrick's) as a holiday, none of the other three do.

• @PJH said:

UK. 'Bank holiday (though technically Easter) Monday.'

Easter break, while it moves around, always involves both Friday and Monday off. I think we're second only to the Hong Kong (stock) market for totally random days off during the year, where not only the banks, but most 9-5 businesses, take days off.

Oh, but it's America that's run by a bunch of religious wackos.  Man, I wish I lived in England or Hong Kong.

@PJH said:

Except for good Friday, and Xmas&New year, they're always on Mondays.

Most of our made-up holidays are, too, like MLK Day, Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Columbus Day.

@PJH said:

This year, we have 2 more in May, 2 in August (though I'm sure one of those is normally in September) and that's it until December. We don't have one in July and we don't have anything equating to Thanksgiving.

That's not as much fun.  Sounds like you have just about as many as us, but all clumped together.  The biggest one you're missing out on is July 4th; a perfect mid-summer holiday with explosions and drinking and hooting.  Of course, you'd be celebrating your own humiliating defeat at the hands of a few toothless*, drunk** rednecks, but modern Britain doesn't seem adverse to looking foolish.  Thanksgiving is actually pretty lame.  I mean, I enjoy having the break and all, but the actual holiday is just about eating and that's stupid.

@PJH said:

The moveable ones, if they appear on a weekend end up being days in lieu on the next working days. e.g. 25th Dec on a Sat results in the next Monday and Tuesday being holidays, though I suspect that also happens in left-pondia.

Yes for Christmas.  Sometimes for the fixed-date holidays: New Years' Day, Independence Day and Veterans' Day (Armistace Day).  Flag Day is June 14th, but we usually don't get that one off.

@PJH said:

) Trivia: Re 'UK'; England has one day's holiday around 1st of Jan (see Xmas above.) Scotland (only) has two. Ireland has 17th March (St Patrick's) as a holiday, none of the other three do.

St. Patrick's Day is a holiday dedicated entirely to crippling alcoholism and leprechauns.  What the hell are you waiting for?  Hell, if it weren't for the brutality of England, March 17th would probably be a boring celebration of wise fiscal planning, sober introspection, material bounty and reasonably-sized families.

* Washington.

** Everybody else.  And Washington.

• @morbiuswilters said:

made-up holidays
    As opposed to those holidays that are simply laws of nature: Halloween, Flag Day, etc.

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    made-up holidays
    As opposed to those holidays that are simply laws of natur
    I can't imagine what it would be like if I didn't get the solstices and the equinoxes off.  *shudder*

• @belgariontheking said:

@bstorer said:
    As opposed to those holidays that are simply laws of natur
    Nice quoting, bt(suc)k.

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

made-up holidays
    As opposed to those holidays that are simply laws of nature: Halloween, Flag Day, etc.

They were created by God, so same difference.

• @bstorer said:

Nice quoting, bt(suc)k. See what I did there?

I see what you did there, and it's pretty crappy, bsucktorer.

==================

As mentioned in the other uninteresting [I see morbs posted some fiction to it. *bookmark*] thread, I was able to play some Fallout because I went all tinkery and attached a new cooling unit. This was amusing to do; a first. I also hand-lettered the titles of some articles, which was fun, even though I'm a bit behind on the total work. I also watched The Road at the theatre. It was pretty okayish.

Right now, I'm posting muck on an interwebs forum because I got only 6 hours of sleep and I'm still waking up.

bleeeeh*

*) I just had a quick mental picture of MW's sectioned cock.

@morbiuswilters said:

The biggest one you're missing out on is July 4th; a perfect mid-summer holiday with explosions and drinking and hooting. 
    We have a similar one, but it's not actually an occasion for a day off - Nov 5th.