No security at all



  • I stumbled across this today.  Looks like someone needs a lesson in basic security.

     

    Moderator's edit: link removed



  •  That's definitely "The Good Stuff".



  •  I guess TRWTF is that the column headings don't scroll along with the data?



  •  I like their own definition of the Excel file format. It begins with <table><tr>...



  • I prefer the version that begins with <workbook xmlns:x="...



  • Awww.. now they closed it :/

    Directory Listing Denied

    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

     


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @hallo.amt said:

     I like their own definition of the Excel file format. It begins with <table><tr>...

    Actually, this is one a common trick. If you need to dump to an Excel doc, just write out either an HTML table or a CSV and stick a .xls on the end. It'll totally import it no questions asked (Actually, I think the CSV may ask a question or two, which would make the HTML preferable even if CSV didn't choke on commas in data).



  • I just wish that my version of Excel would actually accept coma separated values in csv files instead of insisting on semicolon separated values.



  • @Weng said:

    @hallo.amt said:

     I like their own definition of the Excel file format. It begins with <table><tr>...

    Actually, this is one a common trick. If you need to dump to an Excel doc, just write out either an HTML table or a CSV and stick a .xls on the end. It'll totally import it no questions asked (Actually, I think the CSV may ask a question or two, which would make the HTML preferable even if CSV didn't choke on commas in data).

    It actually asked wether to open this file or not with a message like "The file format is different than the one indicated by its name..."



  • @henke37 said:

    I just wish that my version of Excel would actually accept coma separated values in csv files instead of insisting on semicolon separated values.
     

    Your values are separated by comas?  Their hospital bills must be pretty high (will Obamacare help?).



  • @dtobias said:

    @henke37 said:

    I just wish that my version of Excel would actually accept coma separated values in csv files instead of insisting on semicolon separated values.
     

    Your values are separated by comas?  Their hospital bills must be pretty high (will Obamacare help?).

    TRWTF is that it keeps getting confused and splitting on naps, totally fucking up the column layout.



  • @lupo said:

    Awww.. now they closed it :/

    Directory Listing Denied

    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

     

    I'm pretty sure nothing gets a lazy admin off his arse quicker than suddenly seeing dozens of page hits with a Referer: from TDWTF!

     



  • @DaveK said:

    I'm pretty sure nothing gets a lazy admin off his arse quicker than suddenly seeing dozens of page hits with a Referer: from TDWTF! free donuts in the break room.
     



  • @henke37 said:

    I just wish that my version of Excel would actually accept coma separated values in csv files instead of insisting on semicolon separated values.

    Er. It's one of the import wizard checkboxes - choose the character to separate on. You may find the 'documentation' useful in this instance:

    If the file is a text file (.txt), Excel starts the Import Text Wizard. Follow the instructions in the Text Import Wizard. Click Help for more information about using the Text Import Wizard or see Text Import Wizard. When you are done with the Wizard, click Finish.

    If the file is a .csv file, Excel automatically converts the text file and opens it.
    Note When Excel opens a .csv file, it uses the current default data format settings to interpret how to import each column of data. You may want more flexibility in converting columns to different data formats by using the Import Text Wizard. For example, the data format of a data column in the .csv file may be MDY, but Excel's default data format is YMD, or you want to convert a column of numbers with leading zeros to text so you can preserve the leading zeros. To use the Import Text Wizard, you can change the file type to .txt before you open it



  • @bstorer said:

    @DaveK said:

    I'm pretty sure nothing gets a lazy admin off his arse quicker than suddenly seeing dozens of page hits with a Referer: from TDWTF! free donuts in the break room.
     

    A fair point, and well made.  How about:

    @DaveK said:
    I'm pretty sure nothing except free donuts in the break room gets a lazy admin off his arse quicker than suddenly seeing dozens of page hits with a Referer: from TDWTF! .

    Better now?




  • @DaveK said:

    I'm pretty sure nothing gets a lazy admin off his arse quicker than suddenly seeing dozens of page hits with a Referer: from TDWTF!
    That would make an awesome module. When TDWTF detected as referer notify an admin.



  • @DOA said:

    @DaveK said:

    I'm pretty sure nothing gets a lazy admin off his arse quicker than suddenly seeing dozens of page hits with a Referer: from TDWTF!
    That would make an awesome module. When TDWTF detected as referer notify an admin.

    I think mod_yousuck would be an apt name.



  • @Weng said:

    It'll totally import it no questions asked
    ...assuming you're using Excel 2003 or older. 2007 asks something like "This file is not what it pretends to be, and it may blow up your computer. Continue anyway?"@henke37 said:
    I just wish that my version of Excel would actually accept coma separated values in csv files instead of insisting on semicolon separated values.
    Switch to a locale that doesn't use , as decimal point (or simply use tab separated values).



  • @Weng said:

    even if CSV didn't choke on commas in data
    It doesn't choke if you properly form your csv.



  • @bstorer said:

    @DOA said:

    @DaveK said:

    I'm pretty sure nothing gets a lazy admin off his arse quicker than suddenly seeing dozens of page hits with a Referer: from TDWTF!
    That would make an awesome module. When TDWTF detected as referer notify an admin.

    I think mod_yousuck would be an apt name.
    I'd go with mod_fail.



  • Back at you, I did read the manual, and it correctly stated that csv files will not have the import wizard.

    It even mentioned that the locale determinates the delimiter.

    But the issue remains, I can't open files following the real standard. As far as anyone can actually call csv a standard.



  • There's no standard, that's why we're getting these mutant semicolon-separated CSV files (and which is why I think everybody should simply use tab separated values when they need a plain-text exchange format).



  • While it's not really a standard, probably 99% of implementations follow these simple rules:

     A,B,C

    "A","B","C"

    A,"B1,B2",C

    A,'B1,B2',C

    A,'B1''s B2',C   // 2 x ' 

    You just need to determine the character used when comma is present inside a value and escape it when it also appears in the value.



  • @ender said:

    Switch to a locale that doesn't use , as decimal point (or simply use tab separated values).
     

    Or go to Control Panel, Regional and Language Options => Customize Regional Settings and enter whatever list seperator you want. While you're in there, randomly select a regional date format, then argue vehemently about it on the Internet.



  • @mariushm said:

    You just need to determine the character used when comma is present inside a value and escape it when it also appears in the value.
    Except that the choice has usually already been made for you, and it's different on the producing and consuming side.



  •  The ASCII standard actually offers some control characters (unfortunately little-used these days) to provide for separation of data fields; there are File Separator, Group Separator, Record Separator, and Unit Separator (1C through 1F) to allow four hierarchical levels of structured data, as well as some other data-separation control codes like Start of Header (01), Start of Text (02), End of Text (03), and End of Transmission (04).



  • Thanks for the informationWell thank you sir for this genuine piece of information, I find it really helpful.�From now on, I'll be using these characters whenever possible.�



  • You are not authorized to view this page



    The Web server you are attempting to reach has a list of IP addresses that are not allowed to access the Web site, and the IP address of your browsing computer is on this list.

    Please try the following:



    Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.

    HTTP Error 403.6 - Forbidden: IP address of the client has been rejected.

    Internet Information Services (IIS)







    New feature, or am I just really unlucky?



  • @Kemp said:

    New feature, or am I just really unlucky?
    Just slow. It was pointed out that the page was disabled several posts ago.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.