Irish Girl

• @C4I_Officer said:

@belgariontheking said:

@C4I_Officer said:

I'm always surprised to see how lowly you Yankees think of beer...you must have some pretty shitty stuff o'er there, there's no other explanation.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean, unless you mean the remnants of the puritanical rage against alcohol.

Not that, only that in general Americans seem to associatee the adjectives "insipid", "watery", "ta steless" with beer quite a lot, and describing it as "warm piss" from various animals like cat,dog, jackal etc. is also very frequent, so there must be something very wrong in US beer breweries or something...

Here's a practical experiment we can all try ourselves at home:

1.  Get a bottle of "bud" in one hand.

2.  Get a bottle of budvar in the other hand.

3.  Now throw the watery crap away and drink the bottle of actual *beer*.

4.  If you now have an empty bottle of budvar in one hand, and budweiser spilt all over the floor, you won!

• @morbiuswilters said:

@C4I_Officer said:

@belgariontheking said:

@C4I_Officer said:

I'm always surprised to see how lowly you Yankees think of beer...you must have some pretty shitty stuff o'er there, there's no other explanation.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean, unless you mean the remnants of the puritanical rage against alcohol.

Not that, only that in general Americans seem to associatee the adjectives "insipid", "watery", "ta steless" with beer quite a lot, and describing it as "warm piss" from various animals like cat,dog, jackal etc. is also very frequent, so there must be something very wrong in US beer breweries or something...

You fail reading comprehension, spectacularly.  First, most such comments were made by non-Americans.  Second, most of the comments referred to specific beer brands or from specific countries.  I don't recall anyone saying that all beer was horse piss, across-the-board.

Nor does C4I_Officer, so I don't think that's relevant.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Lime by itself is good, although it needs to be fresh lime added right when serving, not fucking lime-flavored syrup added during bottling. 

Unlike the USA we tend to have better natual flavourings. The press release says "natural flavourings" so it must be real lime! The Carlton version is better than Miller Chill but it's a good subtitute when I'm at home and too lazy to insert my own lime. I haven't noticed it being too salty. When I'm out I'll usually get a fresh lime in a Corona (or a Cointreau, lime and lemonade (Sprite); or a lemon(ade), lime and bitters for something non-alcoholic). I also like lime milkshakes (yeah this would be syrup), I guess I'm weird. :-) AFAICT Corona is the most popular imported beer, since I see people drinking it everywhere.

@morbiuswilters said:

Sometimes I think all the retards in North America ended up north or south of America.  Seriously, Clamato shouldn't even fucking exist.

I'd never heard of that. Wikipedia says it was invented in New York so I'd disagree with your sentiment that USA is free of retards. They are everywhere.

@morbiuswilters said:

Well, if there's a vegetarian version, I'd try it

You are a heavy drinker and smoker, but a vegetarian?!?

• @Zemm said:

Unlike the USA we tend to have better natual flavourings.

Doubt it.  Miller Chill is just a cheap product.

@Zemm said:

The press release says "natural flavourings" so it must be real lime! The Carlton version is better than Miller Chill but it's a good subtitute when I'm at home and too lazy to insert my own lime.

That's lazy.  And disgusting.  Beer should not have fucking lime flavoring pre-added.

@Zemm said:

AFAICT Corona is the most popular imported beer, since I see people drinking it everywhere.

Probably here, too.  There's a cetain "douchebag fratguy" quality to Corona that makes me ashamed to drink it, but it's actually a pretty decent beer.  It's good when it's hot and you don't want anything "heavy".

@Zemm said:

I'd never heard of that. Wikipedia says it was invented in New York so I'd disagree with your sentiment that USA is free of retards. They are everywhere.

Invented, sure.  But we don't take pride in mixing it with our beer and vodka.  It's just crap we sell to the dumb snow-backs and chicanos.

@Zemm said:

You are a heavy drinker and smoker, but a vegetarian?!?

Why is that odd?  Most vegetarians don't avoid meat for health reasons.  In fact, so long as you're not eating a pound of bacon and hamburger each day, there's nothing particularly unhealthy about eating meat.  I guess a vegetarian diet can be a bit more healthy, but that's not why I do it.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Why is that odd?  Most vegetarians don't avoid meat for health reasons.  In fact, so long as you're not eating a pound of bacon and hamburger each day, there's nothing particularly unhealthy about eating meat.  I guess a vegetarian diet can be a bit more healthy, but that's not why I do it.
    So you're not a vegetarian because you're meat-intolerant? Why are you, then? Economical reasons I suppose.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Zemm said:

AFAICT Corona is the most popular imported beer, since I see people drinking it everywhere.

Probably here, too.  There's a cetain "douchebag fratguy" quality to Corona that makes me ashamed to drink it, but it's actually a pretty decent beer.  It's good when it's hot and you don't want anything "heavy".

At my favourite pub, I don't have to explicitely order anything; when they see me coming, they automatically hand me a Corona (and then another one etc.). So I guess you must be right with that "douchebag fratguy" quality, though I don't consider myself a fratguy.

•  @DaveK said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@C4I_Officer said:

@belgariontheking said:

@C4I_Officer said:

You fail reading comprehension, spectacularly.  First, most such comments were made by non-Americans.  Second, most of the comments referred to specific beer brands or from specific countries.  I don't recall anyone saying that all beer was horse piss, across-the-board.

Nor does C4I_Officer, so I don't think that's relevant.

And for that matter, I didn't say I based my opinion of  most Americans' apparent opinion of beer on just this forum, hint hint nudge nudge.

Besides, we all know that the best beers taste like donkey, mule and hyena in heat piss!!! Nothing to do with that camel, cow and goat stuff!

• @morbiuswilters said:

Sometimes I think all the retards in North America ended up north or south of America.
    I would like to add Texas to that list.  And WV.  Oh shit, there are retards everywhere.  

• @DaveK said:

No, you might not.  Since you insist on asking.

(Can't imagine why you'd give me a veto by asking my permission to suggest something.  You probably should have just gone straight ahead and suggested whatever it was.)

Well fuck then.  I suggest you use the thing above that I don't feel like copy pasting the link for.

Last time I try being polite on the internet.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Beer should not have fucking fruit in it at all.
    FTFY.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Of course, I don't know where Scotland fits into that.  I imagine it as a lawless land where fat, naked Scotsmen hack at each other with battle axes, then retire to the moors to bang a sheep before slaughtering it and eating all the least-edible parts.

Thanks for the Monday-morning laugh.  It was a long weekend.  Now excuse me while I find something to wipe the coffee from my keyboard.

• @belgariontheking said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Beer should not have fucking fruit in it at all.
    FTFY.

or oysters for that matter.  Also Bukowski's has this godawful peach lambic that can only be described as  fruity flavored excretion of a midget with bubonic plague.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Most vegetarians don't avoid meat for health reasons.

Most catholic priests don't avoid sex for health reasons, either.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@alegr said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Apparently. The pope even wrote a 12 page letter on the subject.

• @Zecc said:

@morbiuswilters said:

So you're not a vegetarian because you're meat-intolerant? Why are you, then? Economical reasons I suppose.

No, I just hate meat.

@morbiuswilters said:

Sometimes I think all the retards in North America ended up north or south of America.
    I would like to add Texas to that list.  And WV.  Oh shit, there are retards everywhere.  

I'd say there are more retards per-capita in Ohio than Texas.  But you're right about WV.  I'm shocked there's indoor plumbing there.

• @alegr said:

@morbiuswilters said:

They do when their favorite altarboy has chickenpox.

• @morbiuswilters said:

They do when their favorite altarboy has chickenpox.

When I was younger and had chickenpox my mother decided to have a pox party.  For those who don't remember this craze, It involved all the neighborhood kids getting a circle while I went around and coughed and sneezed right on them.  The idea was to get them sick at a young age so they wouldn't catch the adult version...

• @morbiuswilters said:

No, I just hate meat.

How can you resist a delicious, tender steak, through which your knife slides easily and which produces a warm texture upon your tongue that is best described as "melting"?

Unless you fuck up the meat, of course.

• @dhromed said:

How can you resist a delicious, tender steak, through which your knife slides easily and which produces a warm texture upon your tongue that is best described as "melting"?

I've always wondered about this too.  I maintain that if you could convince a vegetarian to eat one, a premium steak from a high-end steakhouse could bring them back to the light.  The Metropolitan Grill here in Seattle makes a steak from Wagyu beef that can only be described as 'spiritual'.

• @Smitty said:

a premium steak from a high-end steakhouse could bring them back to the light

No, I think just the ones like Morbius who "don't like" meat, rather than those who opine that (parts of) our methods of farming meat are unethical.

• @Smitty said:

I've always wondered about this too.  I maintain that if you could convince a vegetarian to eat one, a premium steak from a high-end steakhouse could bring them back to the light.  The Metropolitan Grill here in Seattle makes a steak from Wagyu beef that can only be described as 'spiritual'.

Oh my God.

The day I talked my boss into doing a team lunch at the Met? Best day at work ever.

• @morbiuswilters said:

No, I just hate meat.
    Fine by me. I was just curious about any other possible reasons you might have to have chosen not to eat meat and fish.

I personally hate all types of shellfish. I'm not allergic, as far as I know, but I hate the very smell of it. Squid too.

• We have our holiday party catered by red bones every year.  We also have Big Sandwich day once a month at this awesome place called Sam Lagrasse.  If your a vegetarian in my office you really miss out.

• @Smitty said:

@dhromed said:

I've eaten plenty of steaks over the years.  They make me want to throw up.  Oddly, the only meat I can stand the smell of is cooking steak; it actually smells pretty good.  But the taste and texture are nauseating.

I occasionally try meat just to see what I'm missing.  The only thing I've had in the last decade that was edible was a bite of a $1 chicken sandwich from a fast food place.  The taste and texture were very similar to soy chicken patties.  Of course, knowing that it was chicken and not soy still made it rather disgusting.

• @Zecc said:

@morbiuswilters said:

No, I just hate meat.
    Fine by me. I was just curious about any other possible reasons you might have to have chosen not to eat meat and fish.

I personally hate all types of shellfish. I'm not allergic, as far as I know, but I hate the very smell of it. Squid too.

Seafood is the worst.  Meats, in order of increasing disgustingness:

• beef
    • chicken
    • turkey
    • pork
    • goat anus
    • seafood

• @galgorah said:

We have our holiday party catered by red bones every year.  We also have Big Sandwich day once a month at this awesome place called Sam Lagrasse.  If your a vegetarian in my office you really miss out.

I don't really like eating, anyway, so I never feel like I'm missing out, so long as there is booze.  The only reasons I eat are because I get all shaky from low blood sugar or to settle my stomach so I can pour more alcohol into it.  Or, I guess, if I get high and somebody gives me food I will sit and eat it because I don't know what I'm doing.  Oddly, I don't get the munchies (my stomach just feels kind of hollow and nauseous), so I don't usually seek out food when I'm baked, but if someone gives me food I just eat it.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Zecc said:

@morbiuswilters said:

No, I just hate meat.

Seafood is the worst.  Meats, in order of increasing disgustingness:

• beef
    • chicken
    • turkey
    • pork
    • goat anus
    • seafood

Well I guess someone's just never dined at Chez Tramp. Where would you fit these into your list?

• Shoe leather (broiled)
    • Feral pigeon
    • Cat (actually, that one's available at KFC)
    • Rat
    • Half a big mac pulled from a trashcan

For what it's worth, none of those are as disgusting as the stuff my Chinese mother-in-law likes to eat: chicken anus is a delicacy to her.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Smitty said:

Oh my God.

The day I talked my boss into doing a team lunch at the Met? Best day at work ever.

LOL  :-D  The night my mate took his new games company's credit card out for a joyride/bender with us in Soho in London....  that was my best day at work ever and it wasn't even my job!

@C4I_Officer said:

If by "puritanical" you mean "progressive", then YES.

• @operagost said:

@belgariontheking said:

@C4I_Officer said:

If by "puritanical" you mean "progressive", then YES.

Good point.  The Puritans were sloppy drunks.  They didn't like public drunkenness, but they generally had no problem with moderate alcohol consumption (which in those days meant daily consumption).  Alcohol prohibition gained traction with support from late 19th-century Progressives.  There was a lot of crossover between proponents of Prohibition and those fighting for women's suffrage.  The Progressives were central to passing both the 18th and 19th Amendments.

• I always wondered about that (Well actually I started wondering this 5 seconds ago, but let's not dwell on details)
    The USA is also quite a christian country, don't they drink wine in churches? or did they have to switch to tomato juice for the blood of christ?

• @stratos said:

I always wondered about that (Well actually I started wondering this 5 seconds ago, but let's not dwell on details)
    The USA is also quite a christian country, don't they drink wine in churches? or did they have to switch to tomato juice for the blood of christ?

Not even hobos would willingly drink church wine.  Churchgoers drink it genuinely hoping for transubstantiation, simply because 2000-year-old Jew blood is preferable to that shit.

• @stratos said:

I always wondered about that (Well actually I started wondering this 5 seconds ago, but let's not dwell on details)

The Catholics and Puritans/Anglicans were drunkards.  The Lutherans (thanks a lot, Germany!), Baptists and Methodists were generally the bulk of the temperance movement.  Progressives also favored it, because it made for a more productive drone.  Also, fewer drunk hook-ups, which makes eugenics easier.

• @bstorer said:

@stratos said:

Not even hobos would willingly drink church wine.  Churchgoers drink it genuinely hoping for transubstantiation, simply because 2000-year-old Jew blood is preferable to that shit.

But, I drink church wine all the time.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:

@stratos said:

But, I drink church wine all the time.

Yeah, but only to pregame because Listerine is so expensive.

Last time I try being polite on the internet.

First time too.  And it wasn't even a very good try.

• Jumping in late here - I miss Redbones in Davis square. I used to live a few blocks away from there, now I'm up in northern-mass. Goddamn awesome sausage plates and ribs. Other good Boston-area places: Watch City Brewery, Sunset Bar & Grill... damn, I can't remember many of the good places anymore... been too long...

Vermonters know how to make a decent beer as well, and Smuttynose Portsmouth Lager from NH is one of my recent favorites. It's the most enjoyable lager I've ever had, and features pictures of old NewHampshireites chilling out on a porch in rocking chairs. There's a lot of very good beers available even at chain restaurants nowadays, Sam is everywhere and is reliably decent, and you can usually find a selection of local breweries that are popping up everywhere and often have a good brew or two to choose from. 

• @stratos said:

I don't know if you're trolling or just don't know, so here goes:

The wine consumed with the eucharist is tiny.  It might be enough to get a mouse drunk, but that's about it.  

Additionally, back in the huge backlash against alcohol in the 1800s, brother Welch came up with a way to get juice from grapes without making wine. Thenceforth, most of your Protestant churches will use grape juice, not wine.  You may be familiar with the company that he started.

The hardcore ones (or the ones that think they're hardcore) will still use wine, like Lutherans (Diet Catholic) and maybe Episcopalian (Caffeine Free Catholic).  

I assume you know why wine was used in the first place, so I won't touch the tomato juice comment and assume that was just a joke.

Is that really the blood of Christ?

Priest: Yes.

Peter: Man, that guy must have been wasted 24 hours a day, huh?

• @EJ_ said:

Watch City Brewery

If you meant "Witch", then I agree.

@EJ_ said:

Sunset Bar & Grill

Both Sunsets are excellent.

Lutherans (Diet Catholic) and maybe Episcopalian (Caffeine Free Catholic)
    What's the difference between the two? Episcopalianism was formed because Henry VIII was sick of his wife.  Lutheranism was formed because Martin Luther had 95 Theses, but a bitch ain't one.

• @bstorer said:

What's the difference between the two? Episcopalianism was formed because Henry VIII was sick of his wife.  Lutheranism was formed because Martin Luther had 95 Theses, but a bitch ain't one.
    The difference is subtle and I don't know much about Episcopalian, but I assumed those two were the closest to Catholicism because they were more closely aligned with the Catholic Church at their formation and oh I don't know who gives a fuck.  

In that analogy, the baptists are lemonade, and the evangelical (the big auditorium churches) are water.   That's as far as I got.  The Methodists could be red bull because only drunks and fags like them.

The difference is subtle and I don't know much about Episcopalian, but I assumed those two were the closest to Catholicism because they were more closely aligned with the Catholic Church at their formation and oh I don't know who gives a fuck.

The Anglican Church is basically just the Catholic Church, except they won't want the Pope telling them whose heads they can chop off; that's for the King to decide!

Martin Luther was a crazy, anti-semitic German who was in favor of mass executions of Jews.   Thankfully, his toxic ideas never took hold in the Land of Sausage and Europe has lived in peace ever since.

The Methodists could be red bull morbiuswilters because only drunks and fags like them.

who gives a fuck. 

+1

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@belgariontheking said:

@bstorer said:
    What's the difference between the two? Episcopalianism was
    formed because Henry VIII was sick of his wife.  Lutheranism was formed
    because Martin Luther had 95 Theses, but a bitch ain't one.
    The
    difference is subtle
    I'm still having problems deciphering the (reason for the) difference between islam and the various (in-fighting) factions of christianity. It is, from the surface, the same god - the main difference in this case being how they interpret who Jesus was. Son of god, or phrophet of god.

Since it's the same god, what's the fucking difference? The colour of the robes your department wears? How your department handles children? Ditto women?

It's certainly not the 'source' (and I use the word loosely) text, and it's not the "God". Interpretations of said text that would have a 'how to use this video recorder' text go through the same number of translations aside, of course....

Now about those Catholics and Protestants in Ireland....

• @PJH said:

Since it's the same god, what's the fucking difference?

My irrational belief is better than your irrational belief.

• @dabean said:

@PJH said:

My irrational belief is better than your irrational belief.

Cast off the shoes! Follow the gourd!

• @PJH said:

I'm still having problems deciphering the (reason for the) difference between islam and the various (in-fighting) factions of christianity. It is, from the surface, the same god - the main difference in this case being how they interpret who Jesus was. Son of god, or phrophet of god.

Since it's the same god, what's the fucking difference? The colour of the robes your department wears? How your department handles children? Ditto women?
    You can't understand the massive in-fighting over small differences despite working in a field where people argue vociferously about brace style?

• @PJH said:

Well, Christianity is a sneaky way to be anti-semitic without being racist.  The sooner you understand that, the sooner you will receive enlightenment.

Also, please leave your doors unlocked at night so your enlightenment can arrive as rapidly as possible.