Irish Girl

• @derula said:

Maybe because we all have a second tab open with galleries of even hotter Irish girls

Oh, I thought it was just me.

• The one I remember as being exceptional was "Herforder Pils"

• @morbiuswilters said:

@blakeyrat said:

@Cad Delworth said:

Are you sure? I've never heard anyone else (including other people who, like yourself, are unfortunate enough to live in Americashire) say that. Ever.

Where are they from?

America's a HUGE place, you know. I can tell you that the Seattle area is basically a beer-topia.

So is New England and the mid-Atlantic.  Shit, Sam Adams has some really solid beers and they're a massive company, so it's not just smaller breweries.

I think we get the bad beer-putation from the South and Midwest. Where bars serve... Bud. And, if you're lucky... Bud Light.

Judging the US based only on the South would be like judging Europe based only on Slovakia.

• @bstorer said:

@Cad Delworth said:

[FX: sniff, sniff]
    @Cad Delworth said:
    [FX: nods]
    I am punching you in the face with my mind.

Nice try, but I'm afraid I'm a level 9 PsiCop.

'Have a nice day!' (as I believe they say in your country?)

• @blakeyrat said:

I think we get the bad beer-putation from the South and Midwest. Where bars serve... Bud. And, if you're lucky... Bud Light.

Is Colorado the Midwest?  Because a lot of people seem to like Coors (even though it kind of sucks).  People used to risk jail time by smugling it across the Mississippi River.  There are good beers in the South, mainly those from New Orleans or Mexico.

@blakeyrat said:

Judging the US based only on the South would be like judging Europe based only on Slovakia.

Wait, you're saying we're not supposed to judge Europe based solely on Slovakia?

Google Image Search for "slovakia people":

That's basically Europe, son.  They should probably have a crap beer in one hand, a welfare check in the other, be smoking perfumed cigarettes and be surrendering to something, but it's pretty much the image "Europe" conjures up in my mind.

• @DaveK said:

@Cad Delworth said:

Ah, wait: Morbius must be trolling, right?

Well, duh!  He even said so in the tag!

Really? I don't see no stinkin' tags under his post?

• @blakeyrat said:

@Cad Delworth said:

Are you sure? I've never heard anyone else (including other people who, like yourself, are unfortunate enough to live in Americashire) say that. Ever.

Where are they from?

America's a HUGE place, you know. I can tell you that the Seattle area is basically a beer-topia.

Well, none of the American road crew members that my colleagues (who work as get-in and get-out guys at gigs) have met, anyway. I couldn't say for sure where all those guys are from, but I would think from many parts of the USA; and they would have visited most areas in the USA as well, during their employers' tours. Likewise, they all drank beer, to my knowledge.

• @morbiuswilters said:

That's basically Europe, son.  They should probably have a crap beer in one hand, a welfare check in the other, be smoking perfumed cigarettes and be surrendering to something, but it's pretty much the image "Europe" conjures up in my mind.

No, no, Morbius! That's France you're thinking of, not Europe! That would be like thinking the entire USA is like Arkansas.

• So, you're judging the quality of our beer on broke douchebags who travel the world to shovel gravel? And this struck you as relevant and meaningful?

• @Cad Delworth said:

@morbiuswilters said:

No, no, Morbius! That's France you're thinking of, not Europe! That would be like thinking the entire USA is like Arkansas.

Sans UK, I think that describes Europe very well.  There may be some regional differences, like windmills and wooden shoes over here and broken-down concentration camps over there, but it's a good baseline.

England is not Europe.  It's more like East Canada.  And Canada is just USA North.  Of course, I don't know where Scotland fits into that.  I imagine it as a lawless land where fat, naked Scotsmen hack at each other with battle axes, then retire to the moors to bang a sheep before slaughtering it and eating all the least-edible parts.

• Hey morbs, I'm thinking about doing my beer card at Bukowski's in somerville.  Want in?  You have 6 months to go through 136 different beers from around the world.  once you complete it you get a good size beer mug that they keep at the bar for you.  The mug is engraved with the name of your favorite dead author as well as your member number.  Oh and no one else will ever drink out of it but you! 

This invite goes out to anyone in the boston/cambridge, ma area who wants to do a beer card.. 

• @galgorah said:

Hey morbs, I'm thinking about doing my beer card at Bukowski's in somerville.  Want in?  You have 6 months to go through 136 different beers from around the world.

I SO read that as 6 hours.

• @dhromed said:

@galgorah said:

Hey morbs, I'm thinking about doing my beer card at Bukowski's in somerville.  Want in?  You have 6 months to go through 136 different beers from around the world.

I SO read that as 6 hours.

Something tells me the bar wouldn't be open for very long if long if that was the case.  They would have to engrave an effigy into the mug.  I'm a heavy drinker (and smoker) but that would kill me pretty quick.

•  @galgorah said:

They would have to engrave an effigy into the mug.

Another reason to ask Morbs!

• I don't drink / like beer. Sounds like I'm not missing anything.

And before Morbs comes accusing me of being a wuss, hey at least I feed on the flesh of lesser mortals.

• @Cad Delworth said:

@bstorer said:

@Cad Delworth said:

[FX: sniff, sniff]
    @Cad Delworth said:
    [FX: nods]
    I am punching you in the face with my mind.

Nice try, but I'm afraid I'm a level 9 PsiCop.

'Have a nice day!' (as I believe they say in your country?)

Don't you have to be a P12 to be a Psi Cop?

• @Zecc said:

I don't drink / like beer.

So I'm not the only one in the world after all!

(Just the only one in Germany.)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@morbiuswilters said:

@Cad Delworth said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

Sans UK, I think that describes Europe very well. 
    Well, ignoring the perfume (but not the cigarettes) and the surrendering, it pretty much fits parts of the UK as well. Chavtastic.

• @PJH said:

Chavtastic.

That whole scene... Christ..

In the US we have wiggers, which are retarded white people who "act black" and do a terrible job at it.  It seems some Brits didn't get the memo and thought wiggers were cool and not depressing and lame.

Chavs are like retarded British people acting like retarded white people acting like black people, and doing a terrible job at it.

• @galgorah said:

Hey morbs, I'm thinking about doing my beer card at Bukowski's in somerville.  Want in?  You have 6 months to go through 136 different beers from around the world.  once you complete it you get a good size beer mug that they keep at the bar for you.  The mug is engraved with the name of your favorite dead author as well as your member number.  Oh and no one else will ever drink out of it but you! 

This invite goes out to anyone in the boston/cambridge, ma area who wants to do a beer card.. 

Hells yes.  That's the place in Inman Sq., right?  I can just walk from my apartment, which saves me from getting DUIs or having to stuff the bodies of pedestrians into my trunk and make the trip across the river to dump the corpses in Dorchester.  PM me if you need my phone #.

• @Cad Delworth said:

Sorry! Did someone just claim that the weak-as-piss guff that the Americans label as 'beer' is a) beer and b) delicious?
    I know you're just trolling, but it's on now, bitch!

There's plenty of great beer made in America.  You just have to brush away the film of Bud, Miller, Natty, PBR, etc.  Allagash and Sam Adams are East Coast.  Then you have Yuengling from PA, and right here in Cincy, we have Christian Moerlein.  I could go on, but then I would have to leave work for an after-st-patty's-day binge.

• @stratos said:

But germany wins points for having actual laws about beer. Reinheitsgebot. Although it is no longer in effect I think.
    No, actually they lose for stifling beer innovation for 500 years.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Hells yes.  That's the place in Inman Sq., right?  I can just walk from my apartment, which saves me from getting DUIs or having to stuff the bodies of pedestrians into my trunk and make the trip across the river to dump the corpses in Dorchester.  PM me if you need my phone #.

Ya it is the one in inman.  I'm there most sundays as I've been living in cambridge since last July. 

• @galgorah said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Ya it is the one in inman.  I'm there most sundays as I've been living in cambridge since last July. 
    This is not The Daily Men Seeking Men, fellas.  Take your discussion elsewhere, or I'll be forced to cry in the corner because I'm not invited.

• @bstorer said:

This is not The Daily Men Seeking Men, fellas.  Take your discussion elsewhere, or I'll be forced to cry in the corner because I'm not invited.
    Look I know you've been dying to fondle morbs in a vat of beer and mollasses but I'm afraid your just not his type (read: burly leatherdaddy).  However you are welcome to come start a beer card if you can scrap up enough money selling your self to blind midget clowns and make your way to boston.

• @blakeyrat said:

So, you're judging the quality of our beer on broke douchebags who travel the world to shovel gravel?

(sigh) No, by 'road crew' I meant people who accompany your 'rock-and-roll' bands around the world as they perform to grateful audiences, as in 'roadies.' (Yes, this does include Tom Petty and co., before anyone asks!) What you're talking about is what we in the UK would call 'road gangs.' (And no, there are no 'colours' except for their fluorescent vests; and no guns either.) Apologies for any confusion I inadvertently caused.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Sans UK, I think that describes Europe very well.  There may be some regional differences, like windmills and wooden shoes over here and broken-down concentration camps over there, but it's a good baseline.

Patently you've never visited the Netherlands nor Belgium. Two of the most civilised countries I know (after Scotland!), and definitely better food in both of them than in France.

@morbiuswilters said:

And Canada is just USA North.

Oh. I always thought of the USA as Canada South. But with even more guns, and even more WASP bigots.

@morbiuswilters said:

I don't know where Scotland fits into that.  I imagine it as a lawless land where fat, naked Scotsmen hack at each other with battle axes, then retire to the moors to bang a sheep before slaughtering it and eating all the least-edible parts.

That's Wales you're thinking of. Up here in Scotland, we all drink Irn-Bru (with or without malt whisky), then go to the chip shop (that's 'fries' to you Colonials) and eat deep-fried battered Mars or Snickers bars* (or doner kebabs) with large portions of chips (or 'fries') before finding someone to have a fight with. :)

*That part isn't sarcasm, BTW.

• @Someone You Know said:

Don't you have to be a P12 to be a Psi Cop?

Nope. Check http://en.allexperts.com/e/p/ps/psi_corps.htm: "Psi Cop field agents are usually chosen from teeps with a rating of P-10 or higher."

Usually. ;)

• @Cad Delworth said:

(sigh) No, by 'road crew' I meant people who accompany your 'rock-and-roll' bands around the world as they perform to grateful audiences, as in 'roadies.' (Yes, this does include Tom Petty and co., before anyone asks!) What you're talking about is what we in the UK would call 'road gangs.' (And no, there are no 'colours' except for their fluorescent vests; and no guns either.) Apologies for any confusion I inadvertently caused.

That's actually worse.

What makes you think broke drugged-up douchebags who travel the world to lift heavy speakers know jack about beer?

• @Cad Delworth said:

@DaveK said:

@Cad Delworth said:

Let me help you with your looking-at-stuff-and-seeing-it skills:

LOOK HERE!  WITH YOUR EYES!

'K?

• @morbiuswilters said:

Google Image Search for "slovakia people":

That's basically Europe, son.  

Right, so according to my google search for American traditional dress, you must dress like this, right?

american traditional dress

They're both pretty bloody garish if you ask me. 

• @DaveK said:

@Cad Delworth said:

@DaveK said:

@Cad Delworth said:

Let me help you with your looking-at-stuff-and-seeing-it skills:

LOOK HERE!  WITH YOUR EYES!

'K?

I like your sense of colour and elegant calligraphy. Perhaps this is a good time to discuss your newsletter.

Your should turn on Cleartype, though. Then again, the FFX window icon shows antialias artifacts, so I hypothesise that you access Firefox through some alternative screen method, such as RDP with lowered screen bits.

• @Cad Delworth said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I don't know where Scotland fits into that.  I imagine it as a lawless land where fat, naked Scotsmen hack at each other with battle axes, then retire to the moors to bang a sheep before slaughtering it and eating all the least-edible parts.

That's Wales you're thinking of. Up here in Scotland, we all drink Irn-Bru (with or without malt whisky), then go to the chip shop (that's 'fries' to you Colonials) and eat deep-fried battered Mars or Snickers bars* (or doner kebabs) with large portions of chips (or 'fries') before finding someone to have a fight with. :)

Clearly you forgot about Haggis, aka "all the least-edible parts of a sheep, minced and wrapped up in an inedible part of a sheep".

Morbs: just to clear things up for you, you've got the two conflated together.  The Welsh shag the sheep, then the Scots eat it.

• @dhromed said:

@derula said:

Maybe because we all have a second tab open with galleries of even hotter Irish girls

Oh, I thought it was just me.

You thought we all had a second tab open with galleries of just you? *wrinkles nose*  That's maybe just a little bit big-headed, isn't it?

• @dhromed said:

I like your sense of colour and elegant calligraphy. Perhaps this is a good time to discuss your newsletter.

I'm afraid it'll be late this month. My crayon snapped :-( 

@dhromed said:

Your should turn on Cleartype, though.

I'm impressed that you could tell from the screenshot that I'm using an LCD monitor!

@dhromed said:

Then again, the FFX window icon shows antialias artifacts, so I hypothesise that you access Firefox through some alternative screen method, such as RDP with lowered screen bits.

Nope, I'm logged in at the console.  But w2k doesn't support cleartype.

• @DaveK said:

I'm impressed that you could tell from the screenshot that I'm using an LCD monitor!

You imply that I agree with the sentiment that LCDs should have cleartype off, despite the fact that cleartype was explicitly designed for LCDs?

Let's cancel that subscription, shall we?

@DaveK said:

But w2k doesn't support cleartype.

That also explains the alpha (not antialias, sorry) artifacts of FFX's icon, unless I'm mistaken about 2K's abilities, for I've not operated with that system.

• @DaveK said:

You thought we all had a second tab open with galleries of just you? *wrinkles nose*  That's maybe just a little bit big-headed, isn't it?

Irish I were hot.

• @DaveK said:

The Welsh shag the sheep, then the Scots eat it.

So it's kind of line an export product, then.

•  I'm always surprised to see how lowly you Yankees think of beer...you must have some pretty shitty stuff o'er there, there's no other explanation.

• @DaveK said:

'K?
    Might I suggest you use the Not Read page, rather than the Sidebar page.

• @C4I_Officer said:

I'm always surprised to see how lowly you Yankees think of beer...you must have some pretty shitty stuff o'er there, there's no other explanation.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean, unless you mean the remnants of the puritanical rage against alcohol.  We do have some shitty beer, but if you're willing to spend a bit of money, you can drink great stuff from all over the world.

• @C4I_Officer said:

I'm always surprised to see how lowly you Yankees think of beer...you must have some pretty shitty stuff o'er there, there's no other explanation.

What the hell are you talking about?  Who thinks lowly of beer?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@belgariontheking said:

@morbiuswilters said:

And I can't drink it, anyway, because they use fish as an ingredient.
    Vegetarians make me laugh.

Well, I know I do, but what other vegetarians have you been having tickle parties with, huh??

Crap, I didnt know about that. No more Guinness for me :(

• @morbiuswilters said:

You people unleashed Foster's on the world. 

The vodka probably doesn't help.

You don't have vodka with Foster's, you have Strongbow cider, with some blackcurrent cordial. In a Pint glass. I'm talking a real pint (570mL) not the wussy US 473mL "pint".

That said, I've only had Foster's twice in my life: once straight and once in the above "Snakebite" cocktail, both on a dare. No-one drinks it here. I don't even recall seeing Fosters on tap anywhere, and many bottle-Os don't even sell it. However, the "Foster's group" makes Carlton Dry Fusion which I don't mind, though they might have copied the idea of adding lime and salt from Miller Chill or Mexican beers.

@morbiuswilters said:

I love spicy foods, especially Thai and Indian.  Of course, being a heavy smoker might be part of that as my tastebuds are constantly dead.

You should come to Brisbane (pronounced "briz-bin") and try the hottest burger in the world! I like hot food but it was too hot for me to finish. There was an Indian in our group (they made a special vegetarian version for him) and one bite was enough for him. However, my housemate at the time managed to finish it and got his name on a plaque.

• @belgariontheking said:

@DaveK said:

'K?
    Might I suggest

No, you might not.  Since you insist on asking.

(Can't imagine why you'd give me a veto by asking my permission to suggest something.  You probably should have just gone straight ahead and suggested whatever it was.)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Zemm said:

You don't have vodka with Foster's, you have Strongbow cider, with some
    blackcurrent cordial. In a Pint glass. I'm talking a real pint (570mL) not the
    wussy US 473mL "pint".

That said, I've only had Foster's twice in my life: once straight and once in
    the above "Snakebite" cocktail,
    If it's got blackcurrent in it, it's more commonly called diesel, not snakebite.

• @PJH said:

@Zemm said:
    You don't have vodka with Foster's, you have Strongbow cider, with some blackcurrent cordial. In a Pint glass. I'm talking a real pint (570mL) not the wussy US 473mL "pint".

That said, I've only had Foster's twice in my life: once straight and once in the above "Snakebite" cocktail,
    If it's got blackcurrent in it, it's more commonly called diesel, not snakebite.
    Just plain "snakebite and black" is pretty common too.  I think it depends on the percentage of goths you have in your local community...

• @Zemm said:

However, the "Foster's group" makes Carlton Dry Fusion which I don't mind, though they might have copied the idea of adding lime and salt from Miller Chill or Mexican beers.

Lime and salt is just.. fuck.  Lime by itself is good, although it needs to be fresh lime added right when serving, not fucking lime-flavored syrup added during bottling.  The worst is that goddamn "chelada" shit.  AB sells this shit concoction of Bud Light and Clamato in a can.  It's Mexican, but the Canadians also use Clamato in Bloody Marys.  Sometimes I think all the retards in North America ended up north or south of America.  Seriously, Clamato shouldn't even fucking exist.

@Zemm said:

You should come to Brisbane (pronounced "briz-bin") and try the hottest burger in the world! I like hot food but it was too hot for me to finish. There was an Indian in our group (they made a special vegetarian version for him) and one bite was enough for him. However, my housemate at the time managed to finish it and got his name on a plaque.

Well, if there's a vegetarian version, I'd try it.  Although, I prefer everything I eat to be moderately spicy; I'm not into the whole "eat something really fucking hot just to prove how much a man you are".  And with really spicy foods, you end up with flaming squirts later on, which is just no fun for anyone.  In spite of my love for spicy foods, I can't eat really hot stuff very often because I have bad, chronic acid reflux.  I'm on meds and the foods I eat don't actually make that big of a difference, but I don't like to test it.

•  @belgariontheking said:

@C4I_Officer said:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, unless you mean the remnants of the puritanical rage against alcohol.

Not that, only that in general Americans seem to associatee the adjectives "insipid", "watery", "ta steless" with beer quite a lot, and describing it as "warm piss" from various animals like cat,dog, jackal etc. is also very frequent, so there must be something very wrong in US beer breweries or something...

• @C4I_Officer said:

@belgariontheking said:

@C4I_Officer said:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, unless you mean the remnants of the puritanical rage against alcohol.

Not that, only that in general Americans seem to associatee the adjectives "insipid", "watery", "ta steless" with beer quite a lot, and describing it as "warm piss" from various animals like cat,dog, jackal etc. is also very frequent, so there must be something very wrong in US beer breweries or something...

You fail reading comprehension, spectacularly.  First, most such comments were made by non-Americans.  Second, most of the comments referred to specific beer brands or from specific countries.  I don't recall anyone saying that all beer was horse piss, across-the-board.