News from the future

• The New York Times had a new feature this morning, thanks to a Daylight Saving bug: breaking broken news. Its recent stories from the wire services box looked like this over the course of an hour:

Future News 1-->Future News 2-->Future news 3-->Future News 4

• The DST change over always causes various WTFs. I work with a commercial package that up until version 8 (which came out in 2009), logged data in local time. The preferred practice was to shut down systems for an hour at each DST change over. Now the system logs data in UTC so we shouldn't have to worry about such stupidity.

• Curiously this would make sense if we went back an hour today, but we didn't, we skipped an hour.

• @Lingerance said:

Curiously this would make sense if we went back an hour today, but we didn't, we skipped an hour.

How does it not make sense?  The news stories are from an external service and have a time of, say, 4:00pm.  The NYT server currently thinks it is 3:00pm.  Hence, the story is -60 minutes old.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Lingerance said:

Curiously this would make sense if we went back an hour today, but we didn't, we skipped an hour.

How does it not make sense?  The news stories are from an external service and have a time of, say, 4:00pm.  The NYT server currently thinks it is 3:00pm.  Hence, the story is -60 minutes old.

We jumped ahead, so if the story was posted on 00:55 and then someone checks an hour later it'd show up as 65 minutes ago (thanks to the jump/skip). If we went back then there would be two 01:00 in the same day, which would mean that a story posted on 01:55 (the first one) would appear 55 minutes in the future 5 minutes later.

But yes, your timezone issue makes sense. I was assuming something to do with DST.

• @Lingerance said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Lingerance said:

We jumped ahead, so if the story was posted on 00:55 and then someone checks an hour later it'd show up as 65 minutes ago (thanks to the jump/skip). If we went back then there would be two 01:00 in the same day, which would mean that a story posted on 01:55 (the first one) would appear 55 minutes in the future 5 minutes later.

But yes, your timezone issue makes sense. I was assuming something to do with DST.

No, I think it is DST.  This is precisely the problem that would be seen if someone forgot to set the time forward.

• I think we are involved in a abnormal time loop generated by gravitational waves given off by the third season of the show, "Lost". Right now I see you being born and you look so cute covered with goo :-).
    To a great week in the future.

party down

• So when does the USS Bozeman arrive?

• @rkutchjm said:

I think we are involved in a abnormal time loop generated by gravitational waves given off by the third season of the show, "Lost". Right now I see you being born and you look so cute covered with goo :-).
    To a great week in the future.

party down

Don't suppose you remember 'last' weekend's lottery numbers?

• I thought it was going to be 18-26-4, but it was announced as 3-3-3.  How odd.

• @Xyro said:

18-26-4

That is some odd fucking parity, man.

• @dhromed said:

@Xyro said:

18-26-4

Or some fucked-up midget chick's measurements.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Or some fucked-up midget chick

You mean Tim Burton's Queen of Hearts?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@dhromed said:

@Xyro said:

18-26-4

Or some fucked-up midget chick's measurements.

I've got the same combination on my luggage!

• Well now all I have to do is get a hold of DaveK's luggage.