I got a {1}!



  • Farmville has been spitting errors this morning...  Yes, the real WTF is that I'm playing Farmville.



  •  I remember some time ago there were a lot of those {some_long_string} texts on facebook, the entire site wouldn't work for me for a while. And when I tried to insert those fields myself after it started working again, some pretty crazy stuff happened. Ie. places appeared where they shouldn't.

    str_replace anyone?

    Too bad the strings were really long and unguessable, not even brute forceable. I'm surprised that in this case they just used "1".

     Damn, I shoud've registered an account with somename{some_string_that_gets_replaced}. "Click here to see somenameyou have 1 new message's profile".



  • @notromda said:

    Yes, the real WTF is that I'm playing Farmville.

     

     

    Agreed. I asked this of my wife: Do you have fun playing it? Honestly? Do you actually feel a sense of fun when playing it, or a sense of "gota do my responsibility to my farm" by harvesting it?



  • @astonerbum said:

    Agreed. I asked this of my wife: Do you have fun playing it? Honestly? Do you actually feel a sense of fun when playing it, or a sense of "gota do my responsibility to my farm" by harvesting it?

    My wife keeps telling me she wants [i]real[/i] animals, so I'd rather have her play Farmville to get it out of her system.  I, for one, do not want a goat in the backyard.



  • @astonerbum said:

    @notromda said:
    Yes, the real WTF is that I'm playing Farmville.
    Agreed. I asked this of my wife: Do you have fun playing it? Honestly? Do you actually feel a sense of fun when playing it, or a sense of "gota do my responsibility to my farm" by harvesting it?
    My own enjoyment is seeing how much in-game money I can make by abusing the system (country story, not farmville. Stop it. Don't go there....)



    CS seem to be a bit more game than Farmville in that they arbitrarily change the rules from time to time (each update. <4weeks.) To the great distress of the 'normal' users who (may or, more likely not) contrbuted real-life coinage for the virtual version of the stuff.

    I look forward to their next customer savaging update.



    Incidentally, CS aren't immune to the replacement bug. Forums full (hyperbole, it was mentioned. A 'few' times ) of people wondering why people are 'stealing' (part of the game) #num_carrots from them when they don't/aren't/wouldn't grow carrots.



  • @Heron said:

    [My wife keeps telling me she wants real animals, so I'd rather have her play Farmville to get it out of her system.  I, for one, do not want a goat in the backyard.

     

    Better in the yard than sleeping on the foot of the bed, like a couple of my cousins had back in the seventies.



  • @Heron said:

    @astonerbum said:

    Agreed. I asked this of my wife: Do you have fun playing it? Honestly? Do you actually feel a sense of fun when playing it, or a sense of "gota do my responsibility to my farm" by harvesting it?

    My wife keeps telling me she wants real animals, so I'd rather have her play Farmville to get it out of her system.  I, for one, do not want a goat in the backyard.

    Went through the same thing with my wife. She wanted chickens, and she gets what she wants. Of course I had to build a chicken coop, and I suck at carpentry. She's only half-joking about the goat now. At least I wouldn't have to mow my lawn any more. In fact I wouldn't really have much of anything in the way of vegetation at all.



  • @Heron said:

    My wife keeps telling me she wants real animals, so I'd rather have her play Farmville to get it out of her system.  I, for one, do not want a goat in the backyard.
    Oh, goats are great.  Not much for conversation, but the sex is fantastic.



  • @smxlong said:

    Went through the same thing with my wife. She wanted chickens, and she gets what she wants. Of course I had to build a chicken coop, and I suck at carpentry. She's only half-joking about the goat now. At least I wouldn't have to mow my lawn any more. In fact I wouldn't really have much of anything in the way of vegetation at all.

    I think I found your problem.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @smxlong said:

    Went through the same thing with my wife. She wanted chickens, and she gets what she wants. Of course I had to build a chicken coop, and I suck at carpentry. She's only half-joking about the goat now. At least I wouldn't have to mow my lawn any more. In fact I wouldn't really have much of anything in the way of vegetation at all.

    I think I found your problem.

    There's nothing wrong with a wife who gets what she wants.  The key is to make it clear, in no uncertain terms, what she does and doesn't want.  For this, I recommend a 3-foot length of heavy-gauge braided wire, knotted at one end.  Two or three lashes ought to do the trick.



  • I'm surprised that in this case they just used "1".

    It could possibly be a .NET format string.



  • @bstorer said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    @smxlong said:

    Went through the same thing with my wife. She wanted chickens, and she gets what she wants. Of course I had to build a chicken coop, and I suck at carpentry. She's only half-joking about the goat now. At least I wouldn't have to mow my lawn any more. In fact I wouldn't really have much of anything in the way of vegetation at all.

    I think I found your problem.

    There's nothing wrong with a wife who gets what she wants.  The key is to make it clear, in no uncertain terms, what she does and doesn't want.  For this, I recommend a 3-foot length of heavy-gauge braided wire, knotted at one end.  Two or three lashes ought to do the trick.

    I prefer a more classic leather belt, but that works too.



  • @notromda said:

    Yes, the real WTF is that I'm playing Farmville.

     

    No, the really, really, really really MAJOR WTF is that you are playing Farmville.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @notromda said:

    Yes, the real WTF is that I'm playing Farmville.

     

    No, the really, really, really really MAJOR WTF is that you are playing Farmville.

    That's actually barely a WTF. The whole game is based on an addictions:

    • there's no visible end in the game, so all you achieve are "side quests". When do you stop playing? Never.
    • there's instant reward - the "leveling up" (being the sole purpose of RPG games) works quite well in Farmville too. You can't stop right now, if you get level x you'll be able  to plant Dupercarrot. Or kill rats with a click.
    • there is Skinner Box random award system - getting randomly placed microrewards is super addictive (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber). That's how casinoes make money.
    • you get punished if you don't play (crops wither)
    • To get visible results you must play for days. It's not a "throw penguin"-style game, with instant result. It fucks up your daily life, because you have to include it in your rituals to get results.

    to quote a few. Also, real money can be involved, as well as friends that constantly send you crap - this in order to prevent you from forgetting to play the game.

    Cracked recently posted an article about addiction in games, and Farmville gets its share.

    I know that you can block the game (duh) and hide updates from friends, but most people won't do it.



  • @Heron said:

    My wife keeps telling me she wants real animals, so I'd rather have her play Farmville to get it out of her system.  I, for one, do not want a goat in the backyard.

    My father-in-law seriously suggested us getting a goat or two for mowing the grass. The house we lived in (a few years back) was on a hillside, so mowing the lawn was a real drag. But I still said no. I think I preferred doing the lawn three times a year to digging goat shit every week or so.



  • If you think Farmville is a waste of time, it only means you don't know Mafia Wars. MW is far worse. Sooner or later, MW becomes an addiction. A lifestyle. A few days ago, one of my MW friends posted something along the lines of "I intend to reduce my MW playing time to 23.5 hrs daily". I'm not entirely sure she was joking.



  • The funny thing to me is how awful those games are. Mafia Wars doesn't even fucking spell-check, and that retarded vampire one is simply taking Mafia Wars and hacking away at the database until it looks a teeny bit like a new game but it's really not.

    At least Farmville is a decent-quality product. Mafia Wars and its ilk are just awful.



  • Farmville is sometimes a decent-quality product.  At other times, it freezes, restarts, spikes your CPU, loses gifts, and gives you unlimited junk* (that's not so bad, but I did fill my farm that way).

    Zynga is bad, but some of the others are worse.  Elf Wars and dozens of others share the same codebase, just changing the names and graphics.

     

    * The URL was www.farmville.com/give_you_some_crap_15.htm, but you could get it again with www.farmville.com/give_you_some_crap_015.htm, etc.  It didn't take much to get 500.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    The funny thing to me is how awful those games are. Mafia Wars doesn't even fucking spell-check, and that retarded vampire one is simply taking Mafia Wars and hacking away at the database until it looks a teeny bit like a new game but it's really not.
     

    On the other hand, I now have 500+ facebook friends from all over the world, thanks to Mafia Wars.



  • @ammoQ said:

    On the other hand, I now have 500+ facebook friends from all over the world, thanks to Mafia Wars.

    ATTN: NOT A GOOD THING



  • @dhromed said:

    @ammoQ said:
    On the other hand, I now have 500+ facebook friends from all over the world, thanks to Mafia Wars.

    ATTN: NOT A GOOD THING

     

    Actually, this "noise" makes it a bit more difficult to track down my real-life friends who are also my fb friends.



  •  @ammoQ said:

    If you think Farmville is a waste of time, it only means you don't know Mafia Wars.

     Oh, my wife plays that too.



  • @ammoQ said:

    real-life friends
    Lies!



  • @bstorer said:

    @ammoQ said:
    real-life friends
    Lies!
     

    I saw that one coming.



  • @ammoQ said:

    @bstorer said:
    @ammoQ said:
    real-life friends
    Lies!
    I saw that one coming.

    Well, at least you're not playing a lesbian elf in a tech demo of an open source MMORPG.



  • @ammoQ said:

    @bstorer said:

    @ammoQ said:
    real-life friends
    Lies!
     

    I saw that one coming.

    Lies!



  • @derula said:

    @ammoQ said:
    @bstorer said:
    @ammoQ said:
    real-life friends
    Lies!
    I saw that one coming.

    Well, at least you're not playing a lesbian elf in a tech demo of an open source MMORPG.  I know someone in this thread who does.
    You can't mean me because I'm not in this thread.  

    OH WAIT NOW I AM.  Derula, you're a cruel mistress.  Well played.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @derula said:

    @ammoQ said:
    @bstorer said:
    @ammoQ said:
    real-life friends
    Lies!
    I saw that one coming.

    Well, at least you're not playing a lesbian elf in a tech demo of an open source MMORPG.  I know someone in this thread who does.
    You can't mean me because I'm not in this thread.  

    OH WAIT NOW I AM.  Derula, you're a cruel mistress.  Well played.

     

    You know you'd get a few more WTF players if you added in lesbian furry elves. 



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @belgariontheking said:
    @derula said:
    @ammoQ said:
    @bstorer said:
    @ammoQ said:
    real-life friends
    Lies!
    I saw that one coming.

    Well, at least you're not playing a lesbian elf in a tech demo of an open source MMORPG.  I know someone in this thread who does.

    You can't mean me because I'm not in this thread.  

    OH WAIT NOW I AM.  Derula, you're a cruel mistress.  Well played.

    You know you'd get a few more WTF players if you added in lesbian furry elves.

    That's out of setting actually. But you could play a lesbian furry dating a lesbian elf.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.