Building a J2ME based mobile application.

• Hi,

I am a novice J2ME developer, i need the basics of developing a J2ME application. Can some one provide me links, tutorials etc.

I tried googling it.. but since i am short on time can some one share with me good material which they have already reviewed and read.

• Wow, you're high, right?

Why would you want to develop in J2ME when we now have the iphone and android platforms?

• @belgariontheking said:

Why would you want to develop in J2ME when we now have the iphone and android platforms?

For phones like mine, I think.

• @dhromed said:

@belgariontheking said:
    For phones like mine, I think.
    Right, but three things about phones like yours:

1. They're not standardized at all, from screen size to processor speed to amount of onboard memory to J2ME implementation.  iphones are, with the exception of the 3GS and ipad, very standardized.  Androids aren't, but they're (most likely) less impeded by differences in screen size than J2ME phones.
    2. A vast majority of people who have phones like yours aren't going to go out and get programs for it.  The only possible exception I can think of is blackberries.  So essentially, he probably wants to develop for blackberries.  And if you want to do blackberry development, why not go for a special blackberry J2ME kit, or do iphone or Android development.
    3. The largest (American) service provider (Verizon) doesn't put J2ME on their phones (They put BREW on them), except for the blackberries.

I used to do J2ME development, back in 2006.  I wouldn't think it'd be terribly useful now.  There are some nice things about developing in J2ME, but they're severely overshadowed by the troubles of getting your program working properly on a decent number of phones.

So I ask again, OP are you high?

• I need to build it for a client, client requirement.. so i have to learn and develop it.

• @ameya_beri said:

I need to build it for a client, client requirement.. so i have to learn and develop it.
    Ah.  We've all been there.  Best of luck, my friend.  Maybe you can get out of it by pointing your employer to this thread and develop for a real platform.

That said, I found netbeans to be the best IDE (read: the only one I used) was netbeans.  There's a mobile edition module that kind of makes everything easy, including deployment.  I didn't really use any tutorials, since I already knew Java.  Just, every time I ran into a wall (like no floating point), I looked it up.  At the time, the J2ME community was pretty small and information was hard to find.