Something scanner error happens.



  •  Not quite, but I occasionally get this error when attempting to scan something.

     

     So I suppose I shouldn't be arguing in Chinese ... or Japanese ... or whatever that is.



  • @Aimee the Great said:

    So I suppose I shouldn't be arguing in Chinese ... or Japanese ... or whatever that is.

    It's Chinese. Also, you're lucky. Most far-east software I've seen isn't Unicode compatible uses some weird encoding, and you just get things like "??????????????? (ERuntimeError) ??????? user32.dll" as error messages.



  • @Aimee the Great said:

    Not quite, but I occasionally get this error when attempting to scan something
    Did you really have to edit the post to put that word in?



    I was all set to reply to it, and you had to go and correct it...



  •  It's Greek to me.



  • @PeriSoft said:

     It's Greek to me.
    Νο, τηις ις Γρεεκ.



  • @derula said:

    @PeriSoft said:
     It's Greek to me.
    Νο, τηις ις Γρεεκ.
     

    for English values of Greek.



  • Curious -- I wasn't aware that Windows was able to anti-alias Chinese or Japanese text.

    Moreover, it looks like the dialog has been mis-rendered, with the ClearType text drawn back over itself. I've seen that bug before in other programs but you normally have to do something to trigger the program to draw the text back on top of itself.

    Also, what OS is this? It looks like a strange mash-up of XP and Vista.



  • Vista Home Premium. I'm using Vista Black on it because I didn't like Aero too much and I also didn't like the light-blue of the Basic theme.



  • @Daniel Beardsmore said:

    I wasn't aware that Windows was able to anti-alias Chinese or Japanese text.

    It's vectors. why wouldn't it be?

     @Daniel Beardsmore said:

    Moreover, it looks like the dialog has
    been mis-rendered, with the ClearType text drawn back over
    itself.
     

    Cleartype generally looks a little odd on any other monitor than the user's own. I don't think it looks like it was redrawn on top of itself (a very noticeable bug in Photoshop: hover the menu bar).

     




  • @dhromed said:

    @Daniel Beardsmore said:

    I wasn't aware that Windows was able to anti-alias Chinese or Japanese text.

    It's vectors. why wouldn't it be?

    Windows XP and prior used bitmap fonts for Asian languages, even though there were perfectly usable scalable fonts included. Guess this was because ClearType was still a new thing and unsmoothed kanji could sometimes be nearly unreadable.



  • @codeman38 said:

    Windows XP and prior used bitmap fonts for Asian languages, even though there were perfectly usable scalable fonts included. Guess this was because ClearType was still a new thing and unsmoothed kanji could sometimes be nearly unreadable.
    I am pretty sure I can safely say you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.



  • Try it with 12-point fonts or smaller. It uses scalable fonts for larger font sizes, but specially tuned bitmaps for smaller sizes.

    Sorry, I'm a bit brainfoggy and wasn't clear enough in my post...



  • Until Windows 7, cleartype didn't antialias in the opposite direction to the subpixel direction [i]at all[/i]. Which as the non-cleartype AA did, actually made cleartype look worse on some characters than the non-cleartype AA. I was incredibly surprised when I found this out.



  • @Thief^ said:

    Until Windows 7, cleartype didn't antialias in the opposite direction to the subpixel direction at all. Which as the non-cleartype AA did, actually made cleartype look worse on some characters than the non-cleartype AA. I was incredibly surprised when I found this out.
     

    This is very annoying.

    To be slightly more accurate, Cleartype does not apply any vertical antialias. I work on a rotated portrait monitor, so the subpixels are now oriented vertically, and Cleartype looks slightly worse.

    I search for a tool to rotate the antialias, and found one that said it would do that, but it didn't do much at all.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.