I guess the URL got pissed off at me.



  • I was going through the Error'd thing and copying the image locations of some funny pics, to paste into an IM window. (I'm too lazy to upload them myself.) And most of them were http://thedailywtf.com/forums/PostAttachment.aspx. But after a while of doing that, I ended up with this odd URL in my clipboard:

    http://thedailywtf.com/forums/omgstfuomghowmanylinksareyougoingtopostjeez.aspx

     Unfortunately, no screenshot. I am highly confused.



  •  Either you hit something in the tag cloud, or this is evidence that Community Server has developed sentience.

     I suspect the former.



  • I'm too lazy to try to reproduce what you just described, but [url]http://thedailywtf.com/forums/omgstfuomghowmanylinksareyougoingtopostjeez.aspx[/url] doesn't seem to exist.

     

    Page Not Found

    				Unfortunately, the page you've requested no longer exists.  Please 
    

    use the search form below to locate the information you're interested
    in.


     

     

     



  •  Actually, I'm not too sure what to make of it. At the time, I thought it was some sort of sneaky code embedded in the page.



  • @Aimee the Great said:

     Actually, I'm not too sure what to make of it. 

    Maybe you clicked wrong and pasted all the links into the wrong IM window, where you were actually talking to someone on the other end, then accidentally copied part of their reply to you into a browser address bar somehow?




  • @DaveK said:

    Maybe you clicked wrong and pasted all the links into the wrong IM window, where you were actually talking to someone on the other end, then accidentally copied part of their reply to you into a browser address bar somehow?

     

    Which would tell us interesting things about the recipient's personality.



  •  Except I was only talking to one person. Another thing, too, is because when I look in my clipboard capture program it says the URL came right from the browser.



  • @DaveK said:

    Maybe you clicked wrong and pasted all the links into the wrong IM window, where you were actually talking to someone on the other end, then accidentally copied part of their reply to you into a browser address bar somehow?
     

    I wondered about that too.

    If the OP still maintains this didnt happen maybe they should take a look at these http://forums.thedailywtf.com/tags/default.aspx



  •  Maybe it is something to do with the tags but the entire thing is sort of strange.



  •  What clipboard capture program / IM do you use? Maybe some kind of easter egg?



  •  I use a program called ClipGuru for the clipboard as I have a bad habit of overwriting it by mistake. The messenger is Yahoo Messenger v8. (Some of you may think the real WTF is why I use YIM. I'd go with Pidgin, but I use the photo sharing extensively. File transfer or copying URLs is not quite the same.)



  •  @Aimee the Great said:

     I use a program called ClipGuru for the clipboard as I have a bad habit of overwriting it by mistake. The messenger is Yahoo Messenger v8.

    How do you find people to talk to?

    Our company has a lovely arrangement where employees on the west coast use Live Messenger, and employees on the east coast all use AOL Instant Messenger. I really should at some point download a multi-network IM client, or just run AIM but... eh, the east coast people all suck anyway.



  • Hey, I've got a crazy theory--
    Aimee
    the Great is lying.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    eh, the east coast people all suck anyway.

    NO U.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    eh, the east coast people all suck anyway.

    NO U.

     

    I meant just the east coast people in my company. We're called West Coast Rocks Your Socks, Inc.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    I meant just the east coast people in my company.

    How do you know I don't work at your company?  Actually, I'm your boss.  Stop wasting time on TDWTF!  You're fired!



  • @Zylon said:

    Hey, I've got a crazy theory--
    Aimee
    the Great is lying.
     

     

    I'm too lazy to type out that URL, so no.

     

    The people I talk to use YIM.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    I meant just the east coast people in my company.

    How do you know I don't work at your company?  Actually, I'm your boss.  Stop wasting time on TDWTF!  You're fired!

    CEO of the company here, and I'm going to have to stop you.  I personally gave blakeyrat permission to spend all his time on TDWTF, so that he wouldn't write any more awful code.



  • @bstorer said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    I meant just the east coast people in my company.

    How do you know I don't work at your company?  Actually, I'm your boss.  Stop wasting time on TDWTF!  You're fired!

    CEO of the company here, and I'm going to have to stop you.  I personally gave blakeyrat permission to spend all his time on TDWTF, so that he wouldn't write any more awful code.

     

    Woot!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Our company has a lovely arrangement where employees on the west coast use Live Messenger, and employees on the east coast all use AOL Instant Messenger.
    Why do companies do this?  We have private email servers, why not private IM servers?  

    There are enterprise IM applications, and they're not too bad but may not be plausible for smaller companies.  Think about what you're sending across the nation in the clear.  



  • @belgariontheking said:

    There are enterprise IM applications, and they're not too bad but may not be plausible for smaller companies. 
    I think you just made Jabber cry.  Why would you do that?  Jabber is great.  Using Pidgin and Openfire, you get messages being sent via XML, through a server running Java, between clients running GTK on Windows.  Where else can you pack that much fail into such a simple process?



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Our company has a lovely arrangement where employees on the west coast use Live Messenger, and employees on the east coast all use AOL Instant Messenger.
    Why do companies do this?  We have private email servers, why not private IM servers?  

    There are enterprise IM applications, and they're not too bad but may not be plausible for smaller companies.  Think about what you're sending across the nation in the clear.  

     

    Well, for one thing, I'd have to install Live Messenger anyway to talk to clients, contractors and other people outside the company anyway. Plus the animated smileys are fun.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Our company has a lovely arrangement where employees on the west coast use Live Messenger, and employees on the east coast all use AOL Instant Messenger.
    Why do companies do this?  We have private email servers, why not private IM servers?  

    There are enterprise IM applications, and they're not too bad but may not be plausible for smaller companies.  Think about what you're sending across the nation in the clear.  

    I've worked at 3 small companies and all 3 had private Jabber servers.  I'm shocked that a company would use public IM unless it's only two people, and even then...



  • @bstorer said:

    Jabber is great.  Using Pidgin and Openfire, you get messages being sent via XML, through a server running Java, between clients running GTK on Windows.  Where else can you pack that much fail into such a simple process?

    Could we work AJAX and YUI in there somehow?

     

    Fun bug: Openfire doesn't properly encode/escape input so posting markup in a chat can cause malformed XML errors on the clients that cause them to crash.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Our company has a lovely arrangement where employees on the west coast use Live Messenger, and employees on the east coast all use AOL Instant Messenger.
    Why do companies do this?  We have private email servers, why not private IM servers?  

    There are enterprise IM applications, and they're not too bad but may not be plausible for smaller companies.  Think about what you're sending across the nation in the clear.  

     

    Well, for one thing, I'd have to install Live Messenger anyway to talk to clients, contractors and other people outside the company anyway. Plus the animated smileys are fun.

    Clearly, your boss is an idiot and should be summarily fired by the CEO.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I've worked at 3 small companies and all 3 had private Jabber servers.  I'm shocked that a company would use public IM unless it's only two people, and even then...
     

    How do you talk to people outside the company? Or do they all have jabber too?

    And how do you make an animated GIF smiley of your boss with a bobble-head and send it to your co-workers?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    How do you talk to people outside the company? Or do they all have jabber too?

    Why the hell would I want to do that?  Okay, in the few instances where I needed to I just had a separate IM client.  Usually Skype.

     

    @blakeyrat said:

    And how do you make an animated GIF smiley of your boss with a bobble-head and send it to your co-workers?

    Playtime is over!  Get back to work!  You're fired!



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Playtime is over!  Get back to work!  You're fired!
     

    Your head's gonna bobble SOO MUCH



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @bstorer said:

    Jabber is great.  Using Pidgin and Openfire, you get messages being sent via XML, through a server running Java, between clients running GTK on Windows.  Where else can you pack that much fail into such a simple process?

    Could we work AJAX and YUI in there somehow?

    I can't seem to find any AJAX clients using YUI.  The best I can do is GWT or EXT/Prototype or Mootools.  Take your pick.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Clearly, your boss is an idiot and should be summarily fired by the CEO.
    Good point, morbs.  You're fired.  Security will be by to help you clean out your desk and rough you up a bit.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    How do you talk to people outside the company? Or do they all have jabber too?
    Jabber S2S to an AIM/MSN/whatever gateway.



  • @bstorer said:

    @belgariontheking said:
    There are enterprise IM applications, and they're not too bad but may not be plausible for smaller companies. 
    I think you just made Jabber cry.  Why would you do that?  Jabber is great.  Using Pidgin and Openfire, you get messages being sent via XML, through a server running Java, between clients running GTK on Windows.  Where else can you pack that much fail into such a simple process?
    I apologize to Jabber for lumping it into a group called "not bad."

    I was thinking of SameTime and webex chat.  never used webex chat, actually, but we're migrating to it.  I remain cautiously optomistic because webex's meeting stuff is actually pretty slick.

    Anyway, sametime isn't the shit, but it's not worse than most "normal" IM client's I've used, except that it opens up links in an /existing/ browser window, which on IE6 (yes, still the default at my company) blows away whatever you had going on there.  In IE8, it just opens a new tab.  And the fact that sometimes it magically "discovers" that people are offline and I have to close that IM window and open a new one in order to keep talking to them.   So yeah, besides that, SameTime is awesome.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    Anyway, sametime isn't the shit, but it's not worse than most "normal" IM client's I've used, except that it opens up links in an /existing/ browser window, which on IE6 (yes, still the default at my company) blows away whatever you had going on there.  In IE8, it just opens a new tab.  And the fact that sometimes it magically "discovers" that people are offline and I have to close that IM window and open a new one in order to keep talking to them.   So yeah, besides that, SameTime is awesome.
     

    SameTime? The SameTime that's integrated with Lotus Notes?

    Sorry, but it's mathematically impossible for any Lotus product to be "awesome."



  • @belgariontheking said:

    IE6 (yes, still the default at my company)
     

    ...



  • @dhromed said:

    @belgariontheking said:
    IE6 (yes, still the default at my company)
    ...
    That's not all.  We're upgrading to IE8 this year because in June, IE6 drops off of official support by MS.  I shudder to think how long IE6 would be the default if MS supported it forever. 

    When XP drops off, God help us all.  



  • @belgariontheking said:

    in June, IE6 drops off of official support by MS.
     

    A quick search shows that MS will continue support for IE6 until 2014. That intel was dated around August last year. What's your source?



  • @dhromed said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    in June, IE6 drops off of official support by MS.
     

    A quick search shows that MS will continue support for IE6 until 2014. That intel was dated around August last year. What's your source?

     

    Shhh!! He's about to get IE8! Don't ruin it all by pointing out that they're off by a few years.



  • FUCK FUCK GODDAMN THESE STUPID FORWARD AND BACK BUTTONS ON MY MOUSE. 

    I lost my post, but I'm going to try to retype it here.

    @dhromed said:

    @belgariontheking said:
    in June, IE6 drops off of official support by MS.
    A quick search shows that MS will continue support for IE6 until 2014. That intel was dated around August last year. What's your source?

    We got an email that said the following:

    <font face="GE Inspira"><font size="2">The current
    version of Internet Explorer (IE6) <font color="#000000"><font color="#000000">will reach</font> End-of-Life for
    support with Windows XP Service Pack 2 in July of 2010 and with  Windows XP
    Service Pack 3 in July of 2014.
    </font></font></font>

    We're all running SP2, so it's true for us that support will be dropped.  Beep this.  Search the page for "Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2"

    According to this, XP will end support in 2014, and IE6 doesn't have support on Vista, so that date's accurate for SP3



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Shhh!! He's about to get IE8! Don't ruin it all by pointing out that they're off by a few years.
    Actually, I've already got it.  As a developer, they asked me to test my app in it and gave me an advance copy.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    We're all running SP2, so it's true for us that support will be dropped.
     

    I am as thoroughly convinced as my level of emotional investment in this particular issue requires.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    That's not all.  We're upgrading to IE8 this year because in June, IE6 drops off of official support by MS.  I shudder to think how long IE6 would be the default if MS supported it forever. 

     

    And just how often does you company actually contact MS for support regarding IE6?



  • @amischiefr said:

    And just how often does you company actually contact MS for support regarding IE6?
     

    What is your point?

    Dropping support means there will not be any more automatic updates pertaining to that particular software. I don't think anyone has ever called up MS for a problem with IE6.



  • @dhromed said:

    @amischiefr said:

    And just how often does you company actually contact MS for support regarding IE6?
     

    What is your point?

    Dropping support means there will not be any more automatic updates pertaining to that particular software. I don't think anyone has ever called up MS for a problem with IE6.

     

    Who cares about automatic updates from MS?  My point is, changing a product because it is no longer supported seems like a silly reason to do so, unless you are relying on MS to actually provide security updates for your company.  In which case it is time to hire some better security personel.



  • @amischiefr said:

    Who cares about automatic updates from MS?  My point is, changing a product because it is no longer supported seems like a silly reason to do so, unless you are relying on MS to actually provide security updates for your company.  In which case it is time to hire some better security personel.
     

    Hu? We seem to be on totally different pages here.

    A security update -- a relatively important type of update, methinks -- is an automatic update. So yes, we care about automatic updates.

    What does a heavy guy in a jacket stamped "SECURITY" have to do with patching a piece of software?



  • @amischiefr said:

    Who cares about automatic updates from MS?
    Windows SAs do.

    @amischiefr said:

    My point is, changing a product because it is no longer supported seems like a silly reason to do so, unless you are relying on MS to actually provide security updates for your company.
    So yours relies on patching code they have no source-level access to?

    @amischiefr said:

    In which case it is time to hire some better security personel.
    Who, if they are of any decent callibre, will balk at using software that is not recieving security patches and change the software used.



  • @amischiefr said:

    unless you are relying on MS to actually provide security updates for your company
    Perhaps you remember a recent vulnerability in IE that was exploited to attack Google.  If the product were not under support, that would not be fixed.  

    That is the kind of support we need.  MS has no special agreement with my company, as far as I know.  We just buy software from them.  We should not use IE6 after 2014 (July 2010 if we're still in SP2 world) any more than you should, or morb should, or SS should.



  • @Lingerance said:

    decent calibre
     

    I only just noticed now, Ling, that  your avatar is Problem Sleuth, an adventure that I burnt through in two days, and that I give, on a scale of 1-10, a joyous 15.

    I also ordered the green SEPULCHRITUDE tshirt.



  • @dhromed said:

    I only just noticed now, Ling, that  your avatar is Problem Sleuth

    I've had this avatar for a long time now, I was actually considering changing it recently.

    @dhromed said:

    I also ordered the green SEPULCHRITUDE tshirt.

    Pose as a team, because SHIT JUST GOT REAL.



  • @Lingerance said:

    I've had this avatar for a long time now
     

    It's a new experience for me.

     

    You become...

    My god..

    YOU BECOME...

     

    Ace Dick.



  • @dhromed said:

    You become...

    My god..

    YOU BECOME...

     

    Ace Dick.


    I was going to respond to that post merely by replacing my avatar with an equally cool AD one, but I can't find really any cool ones of just AD (IMO anyways).


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.