Quis test



  • Hello, I have just joined this forum because after doing a search for quis tests, the only relevant link returned was for this forum. Reason for the search is below.

    I attended an interview for a council IT position today. I have over 20 years experinece in IT and electronics, MCSE 2003, CompTia security+ and 3 x MCTS Server 2008 certifications and others. I'm not a numpty by any means.

    I was given a quis test and failed it, I've not done any tests remotely similar for at least 10 years.

    The questions were more like IQ style or math puzzle questions and I thought 'what has this to do with installing and configuring Windows server and AD etc etc etc'        Answer = not a lot!

    Surprisingly, or not, only 2 of the 20 at the 'interview' (not really an interview) were asked to remain. They could have been council employees applying for the position but I could not possibly comment!!!!

    I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience?



  • @haworthp said:

    I was given a quis test and failed it, I've not done any tests remotely similar for at least 10 years.

    Did it include questions about spelling?

    Quizzes are all the fad these days, while I would think them more to be programmers terrain I don't see why they wouldn't also be made relevant to other domains. Because your 20 years and numerous certificates say something about knowledge (not much, but at least something). But they don't say if you are actually competent.

    Now there is lots of debate about the usefulness of these tests, but personally i think there is some merit to them, as long as they try to test creativity, insight and problem solving ability, and not dumb knowledge or something equally stupid.

     



  • @haworthp said:

    Hello, I have just joined this forum because after doing a search for quis
    tests, the only relevant link returned was for this forum.
    I think the only reason this forum came up (2nd at the time of writing) for a google search for [quis test] is that you posted your question.





    I think your grandfather might have some answers. Failing that, try Marty McFly.



  • PJH, have a word with yourself!! When I did the search there was a post on this site regarding quis tests, that is what came up on the search, 1 x link not 2 you muppet.



  • The test didn't include any spelling, it was just math stuff. It's difficult to explain without actually seeing it but I will try give an example from what I remember.

     4 x boxes numbered 1 - 4 as below

    box 3 contains an unknown number of 5p coins

    you can use addition, subtraction, division or multiplication

    for example; using the above you can add box 1 to box 4 and put it in box 2, that equals one line

    using 5 lines put the whole number of pounds in box 1 and the remaining number of 5p pieces on box 2

    i.e. ther are 20 x 5p pieces in a pound so box 3 divided by box 4 = the number of pounds and remaining 5p's

    if box 3 is 45 you would get 2 pounds and 5p 

    1

    2

    3

    4

    0

    0

    ?

    20

    Doing 10 of these in 60 mins? Maybe I am thick after all.

     



  • @haworthp said:

    PJH, have a word with yourself!!
    I did indeed, and when I did, I told myself to fuck off and die.

    When I did the search there was a post on this site regarding quis tests, that is what came up on the search, 1 x link not 2 you muppet.
    Having repeated my experiment, within 1/2 hour of performing it, I find the results flawless. However, I think I find where the discrepancy between our results may lie....

    As well as a spelling impediment, you seem to have a problem reading replies to your posts.

    I wish you well in your future career, as Lexecographal Senior to the English Society of Proofreaders.

    As long as you don't work in the same Company I'm in at the time, I may be happy in aiding you in why you can't be bothered properly reading the replies you get to your ambigious and, direly written, questions.


  • @stratos said:

    Because your 20 years and numerous certificates say something about knowledge (not much, but at least something).

    So being certified as an engineer and knowledge of a complex piece of engineering doesn't mean much? 

    I take exception to that, I'm not a 'paper MCSE' like a lot of people by any means.

    Having the qualifications does not make a good engineer, the ability to apply the knowledge you have to solve problems is the key not passing a quis test.



  • We can't all be a Lexecographal Senior to the English Society of Poofreaders can we.



  • @haworthp said:

    So being certified as an engineer and knowledge of a complex piece of engineering doesn't mean much?

    @haworthp said:

    Having the qualifications does not make a good engineer, the ability to apply the knowledge you have to solve problems is the key
     

     Thank you for answer your own question



  • This is one of the most exciting train wrecks I have seen in a while. Please, continue!



  • @haworthp said:

    PJH, have a word with yourself!! When I did the search there was a post on this site regarding quis tests, that is what came up on the search, 1 x link not 2 you muppet.

    Dude, try spelling it QUIZ, you might get a few more results



  • @fatdog said:

    @haworthp said:

    PJH, have a word with yourself!! When I did the search there was a post on this site regarding quis tests, that is what came up on the search, 1 x link not 2 you muppet.

    Dude, try spelling it QUIZ, you might get a few more results

    It's spelled "quiche", idiot, and it's a type of pie.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    It's spelled "quiche", idiot, and it's a type of pie.

    I don't get it. They make you eat quiche for a job interview? Which kind? onion and cheese? meat?



  • @fatdog said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    It's spelled "quiche", idiot, and it's a type of pie.

    I don't get it. They make you eat quiche for a job interview? Which kind? onion and cheese? meat?

    Duh, we're fat Americans.  It's just like how they require you to take siesta during a job interview.



  • @stratos said:

    @haworthp said:

    I was given a quis test and failed it, I've not done any tests remotely similar for at least 10 years.

    Did it include questions about spelling?

    Quizzes are all the fad these days, while I would think them more to be programmers terrain I don't see why they wouldn't also be made relevant to other domains. Because your 20 years and numerous certificates say something about knowledge (not much, but at least something). But they don't say if you are actually competent.

    Now there is lots of debate about the usefulness of these tests, but personally i think there is some merit to them, as long as they try to test creativity, insight and problem solving ability, and not dumb knowledge or something equally stupid.

     

    Im just going to dive in here after 3 years to say, actually, it is spelled QUIS, although you are correct QUIZ is also a word, Its just not a word that describes this particular test.


    In the same was as if I say "I have a small Pomegranate for my lunch." and you jump in and say "Duh its pronounced pomeranian", both are perfectly good words, both are correct, what is wrong is your understanding!

    I know that its unlikely that this will be seen by the OP, but Id be interested to know if the position that you interviewed for was at Lancs County Council? When I took the test there were 120 applicants for the position and only 2 passed the test, I wasn't one of them.



  • Or maybe it really was an acronym: Questionnaire on Information Structure.

    Besides, "quiz test" is redundant. Or impossible? Are quizzes and tests mutually exclusive, or the same?



  • @mikeTheLiar said:

    Besides, "quiz test" is redundant. Or impossible? Are quizzes and tests mutually exclusive, or the same?
    You can test whether a quiz quizzes for the requisite level of knowledge for which they're trying to test.



  • @nonpartisan said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:

    Besides, "quiz test" is redundant. Or impossible? Are quizzes and tests mutually exclusive, or the same?
    You can test whether a quiz quizzes for the requisite level of knowledge for which they're trying to test.

    Did you write unit tests for your quiz testing program?



  • @Ben L. said:

    @nonpartisan said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:

    Besides, "quiz test" is redundant. Or impossible? Are quizzes and tests mutually exclusive, or the same?
    You can test whether a quiz quizzes for the requisite level of knowledge for which they're trying to test.

    Did you write unit tests for your quiz testing program?


    No, I write unit quizzes for my testing quis program.



  • @Ben L. said:

    Did you write unit tests for your quiz testing program?
    I will.  By sheer coincidence to this thread, I'm writing a quiz engine as a CCIE study aid.  There are boatloads of multiple-guess quiz generators out there but none I've found with any intelligence.  In particular, I want to see something that allows the user to enter a question, optionally include an image, enter several different answers (8, 10, shouldn't really matter -- some are right, some are wrong) and randomly choose a subset of one correct and several incorrect answers.  This way, the question and answer set can be different each time the question is chosen for a quiz.  Have it handle a category and subcategories for quiz topic selection.

    All the quiz generators I've seen take a static list of questions and answers.  The slightly-better generators will randomize the answers.  But none I've found dynamically generate an answer list from a given set.  It's probably out there somwhere, but I haven't found it, and I don't get to do much programming as a network engineer, so . . . it's a good exercise for me.



  • @nonpartisan said:

    and randomly choose a subset of one correct and several incorrect answers.
     

    "All of the above"

    "A, B and D"



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    @nonpartisan said:

    and randomly choose a subset of one correct and several incorrect answers.
     

    "All of the above"

    "A, B and D"

    Yes, including the possibility of multiple answers or all/none of the above if enough correct answers are entered for the question.  In those cases, it would look something like:

    42.  Which of the following are valid VTP modes?  (Choose 2)

    A. transparent
    B. translucent
    C. server
    D. downstream
    E. upstream


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @nonpartisan said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    @nonpartisan said:

    and randomly choose a subset of one correct and several incorrect answers.
     

    "All of the above"

    "A, B and D"

    Yes, including the possibility of multiple answers or all/none of the above if enough correct answers are entered for the question.  In those cases, it would look something like:

    42.  Which of the following are valid VTP modes?  (Choose 2)

    A. transparent
    B. translucent
    C. server
    D. downstream
    E. upstream


    I built a self-test tool for my own personal use around 5 years ago that works pretty much exactly as-described. You could also skip questions or leave the session because it would just pick randomly from the pool of questions-without-submitted-answers. I don't have the codebase anymore but it was only maybe 1.5 workdays of effort.



  • Just dug up my old post on this, to highlight the point that the OP is not talking about a QUIZ (Although I suppose it was a QUIS Quiz)

    http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/10927/190868.aspx

    there are examples of the questions in that post, ALL of the questions were in this format, and I stand by my final post on there - Im pretty sure that its just that one employer that uses these, they made them up and as far as I can tell they are pretty useless.



  • @wonkoTheSane said:

    Just dug up my old post on this, to highlight the point that the OP is not talking about a QUIZ (Although I suppose it was a QUIS Quiz)

    http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/10927/190868.aspx

    there are examples of the questions in that post, ALL of the questions were in this format, and I stand by my final post on there - Im pretty sure that its just that one employer that uses these, they made them up and as far as I can tell they are pretty useless.
    This is pretty much the way I felt when my Japanese instructor passed out a test headed "Cloze".



  •  so far troll is winning.



  •  How are you winning? This is your only post in the thread.



  • @BC_Programmer said:

    @Nagesh said:
    so far troll is winning.

    How are you winning? This is your only post in the thread.

    Your reply proves that the trolls have won.



  • @Ben L. said:

    @BC_Programmer said:
    @Nagesh said:
    so far troll is winning.

    How are you winning? This is your only post in the thread.

    Your reply proves that the trolls have won.

    Since we're all trolls here, that's not necessarily a bad thing.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.