But can you make them drink?

• I was just looking for a code example on the web, and saw a funny ad for something called "Microsoft Unified Communications." It starts with a geek at a whiteboard and the caption is "You can lead your users to Unified Communications... but can you make them drink?" And my reaction was: Oh yes. You can definitely make them drink. Or at least, inspire them to drink. In my case, the mere thought of geeks at whiteboards touting 'unified solutions' from Microsoft is enough to inspire heavy drinking.

Incidentally, I think this technology promises to somehow integrate my voicemail, e-mail, and whatever else it is that people consider "messaging." Here is the URL where I saw the ad.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.html?forumID=47&threadID=161016

The ad is part of a rotating collection so it's difficult for me to "show it off." If anyone knows a better way to capture banner ads please let me know... they are some of the most WTFy things around but seem to be very ethereal. I looked at page source in Firefox and IE8 and couldn't find any .SWF extensions, even though the ad is clearly based on Adobe Flash. Of course, I get no "Save As" option in the context menu of the ad itself, and if I click the ad it redirects.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@bridget99 said:

I looked at page source in Firefox and IE8 and couldn't find any .SWF extensions, even though the ad is clearly based on Adobe Flash. Of course, I get no "Save As" option in the context menu of the ad itself, and if I click the ad it redirects.
    Ctrl-U/View Source under FF re-gets the whole page which results in something almost, but not quite, entirely unlike the page you're viewing (JS doesn't run on it IIRC for example.)

What you need to try is selecting stuff from just before and just after what you're interested in and Right-click > View selection which gets the source code from the actual page in your browser.

• @PJH said:

(JS doesn't run on it IIRC for example.)

I played around a bit with Firefox "View Source" / "View Selection Source" and yes, that is the basic problem. The ad is the result of a "document.write()" or something. I guess the best approach would be to capture a picture of the stupid thing and then host it. That would have the side benefit of immortalizing the ad for posterity. Perhaps I could even add it to my SwampSearch "hoard" for a lifetime of old timey knee-slapping. Stand by...

• I got it.

• Brian seems to be from mars or something.

• @RogerWilco said:

Brian seems to be from mars or something.

He looks like a South Park Canadian to me.

w00t my first deployment of Derula's script!

• @mrspandex said:

SpectateSwamp is enough to drive me to drink, does that count?

• @RogerWilco said:

Brian seems to be from mars or something.

They do the same in "Computer Bild" ads (click here to skip the madness and only view the Martian head). Obviously, Computer Bild is a respectable German magazine targeted at IT professionals. Except it lacks some professionalism and respectability.