International Australia Day

•  Who's going to eat lamb on 26 January? I know I am!

• @Zemm said:

Who's going to eat lamb kangaroo on 26 January? I know I am!

FTFY.  Also, eww, no.

•  Sam Kekovich's 2010 UN address

Also, I've have kangaroo a few times, but it's not very common. It's been some years and I should try it again. I remember it being similar to lamb.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Zemm said:

Who's going to eat lamb kangaroo your baby on 26 January? I know I am!

FTFY.  Also, eww, no.

FTFY.  And it'll probably be a dingo.

• @Zemm said:

Who's going to eat lamb on 26 January? I know I am!

Made lamb sausage rolls last week .. but they don't taste as good as the ones I make with spicey pork. You just can't get decent lamb over here.

• @Zemm said:

Also, I've have kangaroo a few times, but it's not very common. It's been some years and I should try it again. I remember it being similar to lamb.

I've just learned from QI that kangaroos can't fart due to a pecularity of the bacteria in their gut.  Apparently experiments are underway to inject these bacteria into cows in an attempt to alleviate the effects of bovine flatulence-induced (so you could say non man-made) climate change.

So as well as tasting like delicious lamb, eating kangaroo is also an environmentally-conscious option that even climate change sceptics can get on board with.  I'm off to the safari park down the road...

• @upsidedowncreature said:

So as well as tasting like delicious lamb, eating kangaroo is also an environmentally-conscious option that even climate change sceptics can get on board with.  I'm off to the safari park down the road...

Except that 'roos suffer from "capture myopathy", which basically means if they get excited and hop around a lot just before they are killed then the meat becomes tainted with toxins. This limits the type of 'roo farming and harvesting required for large scale meat production and keeps it more in the realm of a man and his rifle rather than a more traditional abattoir.

But that doesn't stop me from ordering 'roo every now and again when I see it in restaurants. Which brings me to a fav. story. Whenever I am in a country where English is not the native language, (and I am somewhat conversant in that language), and I typically get asked by people something along the lines of "what are Kangaroos like?" (meaning how cute and cuddly they are), I try and reply in the local language "tasty". It's really fun to watch them go through the thought processes of: "Ok, he's not a native speaker, does he realize what he just said. Hang on, he used a valid word in a somewhat grammatically correct sentence. Maybe he does know what he just said. OMFG he means that they do eat Kangaroos.