A question of no consequence for those outside the US

• I read TDWTF and the comments a lot, and notice that when talking about distributing software, people refer to it as "shipping" the software.  Is this a fairly world wide term or it just one of those lame Americanisms? I work in Australia, and have worked for several different companies, and have never heard the word used here before.

Like I said, a question of no real consequence.  Just wondering.

• @Nozz said:

I read TDWTF and the comments a lot, and notice that when talking about distributing software, people refer to it as "shipping" the software.  Is this a fairly world wide term or it just one of those lame Americanisms? I work in Australia, and have worked for several different companies, and have never heard the word used here before.

Like I said, a question of no real consequence.  Just wondering.

Not sure about outside the US.  Here, it's common because companies that distribute software don't just put it on a web site -- they make CDs (or, often, DVDs) to sell in stores.  So companies selling software invariably distribute physical copies.   "Shipping" is the word we use for physically sending something, and apparently got extended to mean electronic distribution as well since the two happen so often together.

• @Nozz said:

I read TDWTF and the comments a lot, and notice that when talking about distributing software, people refer to it as "shipping" the software.  Is this a fairly world wide term or it just one of those lame Americanisms? I work in Australia, and have worked for several different companies, and have never heard the word used here before.

Usually to be funny, we say something like 'Quick, Ship it!'  When the bug list is temporarily empty before more testing.  Is there a funny ozism for that?

• I think that is not a 'lame' Americanism. Just purely becoming part of an American lingo. And yes, many people are getting used to it. Business-minded people just have to have a certain language that may actually confuse other businessmen that have their own interpretattion of the language.It's up to us to consider it to become part of our business language.

wtf peaceout!