Marketing the obvious



  • Yesterday I bought an HDMI-DVI adaptor. I need it because my f*ckbook only has a Mini DiplayPort video output. All I could get was an MDP-DVI adaptor. My screen likes HDMI more but that is no big deal.

    So I got this adaptor and it came in a nice small packaging.

    [URL=http://img246.imageshack.us/i/packageall.png/][IMG]http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8554/packageall.th.png[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://img297.imageshack.us/i/dvihdmi.png/][IMG]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7663/dvihdmi.th.png[/IMG][/URL]

    But there is a nice small detail they try to sell the adaptor with

     [URL=http://img402.imageshack.us/i/packagedetail.png/][IMG]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7937/packagedetail.th.png[/IMG][/URL]


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @hallo.amt said:

    But there is a nice small detail they try to sell the adaptor with

     

    Sounds like something Denon would come up with.


  •  @PJH said:

    Sounds like something Denon would come up with.

    True. I also tried to disassemble it. It's one piece of plastic with a few wires in it. Quit hard to disassemble so I gave up. I wonder what the not "pre-assembled" version looks like.



  • @hallo.amt said:

    @PJH said:

    Sounds like something Denon would come up with.

    True. I also tried to disassemble it. It's one piece of plastic with a few wires in it. Quit hard to disassemble so I gave up. I wonder what the not "pre-assembled" version looks like.

    Probably about the same as any non-assembled adapter looks.

    Basically, they look like a couple of small pieces of plastic, with some metal bits, that look like they'd fit between the two plastic bits, one on each end, very nicely.  And a whole mess of wires - about twice as many as one might think could actually fit in between the two plastic bits and the two metal bits.  And they all have to fit or it won't work.

    Thank you for reminding me how glad I am that I no longer have to work with adapters that weren't pre-assembled.



  • @tgape said:

    Thank you for reminding me how glad I am that I no longer have to work with adapters that weren't pre-assembled.

     

    You're welcome :-)



  • Regarding your sig-rant, Home and End don't work with a PC keyboard because they don't work with ANY keyboard, even a Mac keyboard. The way you go to the beginning/end of a line on a Mac is Command-LeftArrow and Command-RightArrow. 



  • @PJH said:

    @hallo.amt said:

    But there is a nice small detail they try to sell the adaptor with

     

    Sounds like something Denon would come up with.

    Uhh, what's silly about that?  You always want to gold-plate edge connectors if you can, because gold, unlike copper, does not tarnish, meaning you don't get crappy connections with a layer of oxidised crap all over them after some years of exposure to air that need either cleaning off regularly with isopropyl or in extreme cases even scouring down with wire wool or similar.  I would have thought it makes particular sense with sensitive signals such as the kind of low level multi-megahertz frequencies you get in a display cable.  The fact that it's digital doesn't make it immune to lousy mechanical connections, in fact the last thing you want to do is introduce a differential impedance between the two paths of a balanced signal because one of the pins is more gunky than the other.

    Are you sure this is as stupid as all that?  I've heard of gold-plated mains plugs for hi-fi enthusiasts, now that is silly.  But high-quality low-level signal lines?  Perhaps not so daft.



  • @DaveK said:

    Uhh, what's silly about that?

    "Pre-assembled"



  • @Lingerance said:

    @DaveK said:
    Uhh, what's silly about that?

    "Pre-assembled"

    Ohhhh.....  I was thrown by the Denon reference.  Do they do that too?



  • @DaveK said:

    Do they do that too?
     

    My Denon amp came pre-assembled, I think.



  • @DaveK said:

    Do they do that too?
     

    Never had anything of them, my Sansui is some 30 years old.



  • @smxlong said:

    Regarding your sig-rant, Home and End don't work with a PC keyboard because they don't work with ANY keyboard, even a Mac keyboard. The way you go to the beginning/end of a line on a Mac is Command-LeftArrow and Command-RightArrow. 

     

    Back in the old Mac Classic days, they worked. Home took you to the top of the document, and End took you to the end of the document. We also had an functional separation between "Enter" and "Return".


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.