EVE Online WTF



  • Decided to try out EVE online recently... there are a few interestingly written dialogs in it but this one I liked. Happens when you try to switch ships while one is loading. 

    Exactly what 'other half' do they mean? The other half of my toon's body, or does it mean my toons partner or 'other half'.... yes of course they mean it is only half loaded but it gives me strange mental images.



  • @Nyquist said:

    Decided to try out EVE online
    recently... there are a few interestingly written dialogs in it but
    this one I liked. Happens when you try to switch ships while one is
    loading. 

    Exactly
    what 'other half' do they mean? The other half of my toon's body, or
    does it mean my toons partner or 'other half'.... yes of course they
    mean it is only half loaded but it gives me strange mental images.

    You know how people say "Get your ass in here"?  Well, your ass is officially onboard.  Now it's just the rest of you that's gotta materialize.



  • @cHao said:

    You know how people say "Get your ass in here"?  Well, your ass is officially onboard.  Now it's just the rest of you that's gotta materialize.
     

     So my ass is half my body weight?.... 



  • @Nyquist said:

     So my ass is half my body weight?.... 

    Sure! And you should be happy with that, as for some people, ass and body weight coincide.



  •  Oh, they have all kinds of those when you try to board another ship too soon. Fleet chatter, making tea...

     

    The Real WTF TM however is that the server is down atm. It's down 1 hour each day already, but just now it died on its own :P Heading over to the EVE-forums to see what developer shut down the live server instead of his dev-one instead :P Though last time we got a timer counting down, this time it just stopped functioning.



  • @Nyquist said:

    Decided to try out EVE online recently... there are a few interestingly written dialogs in it but this one I liked. Happens when you try to switch ships while one is loading. 

    Exactly what 'other half' do they mean? The other half of my toon's body, or does it mean my toons partner or 'other half'.... yes of course they mean it is only half loaded but it gives me strange mental images.

    I'm thinking you don't want to go dropping the line while you're in that state or something's going to happen to you along the lines of that hideous teleporter accident from the first Star Trek movie.. 



  •  Actually I downloaded the trial after I read the EVE dev WTF on here as the game looked interesting.

    @DaveK said:

    I'm thinking you don't want to go dropping the line while you're in that state or something's going to happen to you along the lines of that hideous teleporter accident from the first Star Trek movie.. 

    I'll let you know if I develop an evil twin.

     



  • My favorite EVE Online dialog box is something like: "Cannot activate tractor beam because object is already TractorBeam."



  • @too_many_usernames said:

    "Cannot activate tractor beam because object is already TractorBeam."
     

    How much beam would a tractor beam beam if a tractor beam would beam beam.




  • @dhromed said:

    How much beam would a tractor beam beam if a tractor beam would beam beam.

    In proper New Eden Style:  Depends on how many Exotic Dancers you have in the cargo hold.



  • @Nyquist said:

     Actually I downloaded the trial after I read the EVE dev WTF on here as the game looked interesting.

    @DaveK said:

    I'm thinking you don't want to go dropping the line while you're in that state or something's going to happen to you along the lines of that hideous teleporter accident from the first Star Trek movie.. 

    I'll let you know if I develop an evil twin.

    Nah, that was ToS.  In the first movie (the V'ger one), it was less about acquiring a goatee, devilish grin and sociopathic tendency, and more about acquiring a full body eversion with external viscera ...

     



  • @too_many_usernames said:

    @dhromed said:

    How much beam would a tractor beam beam if a tractor beam would beam beam.

    In proper New Eden Style:  Depends on how many Exotic Dancers you have in the cargo hold.

    Ahh, reminds me of the good ol' days playing Elite.  Slaves and drugs, that was all you ever needed to trade.  The whole rest of the commodities system was just there for n00bs who couldn't handle a shoot-out with the cops...

     

     



  • @too_many_usernames said:

    In proper New Eden Style:  Depends on how many Exotic Dancers you have in the cargo hold.
     

    Hahaha too true.  I'm always amused when I pick up a 'unit of civilian'. Picked up some guy yesterday from a rescue mission and he turned out to be a naked icon in the fetal position. Those pirates must be cruel!

    Got another beauty of a wtf last night - I'd narrowly missed up on the ship offer for signing up due to time-zone miscalculations, petitioned a GM who was generous enough to award me the Zephyr anyways. So I log on.... having logged off in the middle of space during a shutdown (great idea) to find this:

    The GM went and stuck my ship INSIDE my Rifter... and I was 999,000km away from the nearest gate, unable to go to warp because of the cargo, and even further away from any stations so the gate was actually nearest. Petitioned as stuck and got some profuse apologies from the GM who moved it to my hangar.

    @Dave ... ah yes I had forgotten the real horror story ones. Great article - although it misses out the double Rykers and I'm sure I recall one of the Star Trek movies where a group of people are supposed to be transported and wind up with their molecules inside out. 



  • @Nyquist said:


    Hahaha too true.  I'm always amused when I pick up a 'unit of civilian'. Picked up some guy yesterday from a rescue mission and he turned out to be a naked icon in the fetal position. Those pirates must be cruel!

    Got another beauty of a wtf last night - I'd narrowly missed up on the ship offer for signing up due to time-zone miscalculations, petitioned a GM who was generous enough to award me the Zephyr anyways. So I log on.... having logged off in the middle of space during a shutdown (great idea) to find this:

    <snip>

    The GM went and stuck my ship INSIDE my Rifter... and I was 999,000km away from the nearest gate, unable to go to warp because of the cargo, and even further away from any stations so the gate was actually nearest. Petitioned as stuck and got some profuse apologies from the GM who moved it to my hangar.

    @Dave ... ah yes I had forgotten the real horror story ones. Great article - although it misses out the double Rykers and I'm sure I recall one of the Star Trek movies where a group of people are supposed to be transported and wind up with their molecules inside out. 

     

    That's totally awesome - having a Zephyr placed in the hold of your Rifter.  That's pretty cool that you were still able to get one.

    EvE has all kinds of entertaining but useless things to collect. I think I still have quite a few Tourists, Janitors, Militants, and Scientists in one of my hangars...but unfortunately I got rid of all my heads in jars...



  • Yeah I was pretty lucky with that, the GM decided to be generous. Nice ship especially given that I like the exploration side of the game.

    @too_many_usernames said:

    EvE has all kinds of entertaining but useless things to collect. I think I still have quite a few Tourists, Janitors, Militants, and Scientists in one of my hangars...but unfortunately I got rid of all my heads in jars...
     

    Started the first epic arc today and had to rescue a few of those. It still amuses me that they have [1] next to them. Although I've just found out about cloning, and realised that I too can be a Weyoun factory.



  • Is EVE free yet? I played for a while and right before my demo was up, I got pod-killed by some NPC and just didn't feel like paying after such a negative experience.



  • @Nyquist said:

    The GM went and stuck my ship INSIDE my Rifter... and I was 999,000km away from the nearest gate, unable to go to warp because of the cargo, and even further away from any stations so the gate was actually nearest. Petitioned as stuck and got some profuse apologies from the GM who moved it to my hangar.

     

    clears throat

    ... sorry ...

    I'll go back into the corner.



  •  YO DAWG, I HERD YOU LIKE SHIPS, SO WE PUT A SHIP IN YO SHIP SO YOUR CARGO IS MAXED AND YOU CANT MOVE FOR SHIT LOL.



  • @dhromed said:

     YO DAWG, I HERD YOU LIKE SHIPS, SO WE PUT A SHIP IN YO SHIP SO YOUR CARGO IS MAXED AND YOU CANT MOVE FOR SHIT LOL.
     

    +10 win and added to sig.

     

    Also, this.




  • @jasmine2501 said:

    Is EVE free yet? I played for a while and right before my demo was up, I got pod-killed by some NPC and just didn't feel like paying after such a negative experience.

    Last time I checked it's impossible for NPCs to podkill you.

    Initially EVE is not free - but if you make enough in-game money (ISK) you can buy Game Time Cards from other players, which give you an extra 60 days' game time. Hence, if you make enough in-game money, you can play the game without paying any real-life money. :)



  • @The_Assimilator said:

    Initially EVE is not free - but if you make enough in-game money (ISK) you can buy Game Time Cards from other players, which give you an extra 60 days' game time. Hence, if you make enough in-game money, you can play the game without paying any real-life money. :)
     

    So, the good players, who like the game and spend a lot of time on it, get to play for free, while the players who only play sporadically and/or find the game "fun, but not all that.", gain an arbiratry disincentive to play more.

    While this is true in real life economics, it seems less fruitful for an online game.

     



  • @dhromed said:

    So, the good players, who like the game and spend a lot of time on it, get to play for free, while the players who only play sporadically and/or find the game "fun, but not all that.", gain an arbiratry disincentive to play more.

    While this is true in real life economics, it seems less fruitful for an online game.

    Think of it as a way of rewarding players who have already played for a long time and hence contributed a decent amount of real-life cash to CCP (the developers). You're not going to get to "play for free" from day 1 because if the nature of the game, it does take time to get to that level. And generally, to make that amount of in-game cash requires taking risks that might lead to the loss of your ship or your character's death. The playerbase is always complaining that CCP doesn't balance risk/reward correctly, but EVE does a far better job of it than any other MMORPG I've tried.



  • @dhromed said:

    @The_Assimilator said:

    Initially EVE is not free - but if you make enough in-game money (ISK) you can buy Game Time Cards from other players, which give you an extra 60 days' game time. Hence, if you make enough in-game money, you can play the game without paying any real-life money. :)
     

    So, the good players, who like the game and spend a lot of time on it, get to play for free, while the players who only play sporadically and/or find the game "fun, but not all that.", gain an arbiratry disincentive to play more.

    While this is true in real life economics, it seems less fruitful for an online game.

    Like Linux, it's only free if your time is worthless.



  • morbius, you wouldn't happen to read Linux Hater's blog would you? http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/



  • @The_Assimilator said:

    Initially EVE is not free - but if you make enough in-game money (ISK) you can buy Game Time Cards from other players, which give you an extra 60 days' game time. Hence, if you make enough in-game money, you can play the game without paying any real-life money. :)

    Sounds like WeightWatchers. Membership's free if you managed to lose enough weight and can hold the one you've reached.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @derula said:

    Sounds like WeightWatchers. Membership's free if you managed to lose enough weight and can hold the one you've reached.
    Whereas if you gain weight you have to pay extra for the damage?



  • @The_Assimilator said:

    Think of it as a way of rewarding players who have already played for a long time and hence contributed a decent amount of real-life cash to CCP (the developers). You're not going to get to "play for free" from day 1 because if the nature of the game, it does take time to get to that level. And generally, to make that amount of in-game cash requires taking risks that might lead to the loss of your ship or your character's death. The playerbase is always complaining that CCP doesn't balance risk/reward correctly, but EVE does a far better job of it than any other MMORPG I've tried.
     

    Not really: the way GTCs (Game Time Codes) and PLEX (Pod License Extension - yeah it's cheesy) work, is somebody has to buy a GTC by giving money to CCP; this cost is usually slightly higher than the price you'd pay with a recurring subscription. CCP just set up a controlled mechanism by which - in game - instead of redeeming that code for time on your accont, you can turn it into a PLEX, an in-game entity that can be traded using the in-game market for isk, items, or just donated if you're generous. Then any player can either redeem that PLEX for time on their account, or trade it again.  (It used to be possible to trade GTCs directly, but the PLEX method is a bit more secure since the old method meant somehow sending the GTC code around outside the game environment.)

    So CCP always gets paid for gametime, although a particular player may only be trading in-game labor for it instead of government-honored currency.



  • @The_Assimilator said:

    morbius, you wouldn't happen to read Linux Hater's blog would you? http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/
     

    He probably WRITES it. :)



  • @PJH said:

    @derula said:
    Sounds like WeightWatchers. Membership's free if you managed to lose enough weight and can hold the one you've reached.
    Whereas if you gain weight you have to pay extra for the damage?

    No. If you gain weight you cancel membership and try an "all you can eat" diet.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.