Pushes my button



  • Quick rant here... but I have a special roll of barbed wire rusting away in the basement. It's being saved for some time in the future.  It is reserved for the first "web designer" I find who has put up one of these for me:

    <form>

    <input type='text' /> Search

     <img src='isuckatwebdesign_submit.gif' onclick='document.form.sumbit()'>

    </form>

    After that webdesigned swallows and passes one of end of the barbed wire, I will take a firm hold of both ends, and give him a full body floss.  After that, I will tell him about the wonderous invention called the <input type='image'> tag.  Then I will floss him again, and make him use a regular <input type='submit'>.



  •  I'd love to know what you would do to a person commiting a TRUE transgression.



  •  Geez, you'd do all that just because a guy can't spell "submit" properly? That's harsh.



  •  I agree with the OP. It ticks me off when people go out of their way NOT to use basic HTML that would accomplish the exact same thing.

     Because you know that in a few years browser x will ship a brand new version with a brand new set of bugs and a brand new set of assumptions about how the web works and suddenly you start getting calls that your webpage doesn't work.



  • @Bumble Bee Tuna said:

     Geez, you'd do all that just because a guy can't spell "submit" properly? That's harsh.

     

    I stand chastised. ;)



  • It's for the best if you don't tell us what you will do when you find out it was embedded in an embedded table with a span and a div to put it in a place where it only shows up properly in Explorer 6.5.3a1.



  • @TGV said:

    It's for the best if you don't tell us what you will do when you find out it was embedded in an embedded table with a span and a div to put it in a place where it only shows up properly in Explorer 6.5.3a1.

     

     

    If they're using IE6, there's nothing more I can do to them.



  •  @DOA said:

    I agree with the OP. It ticks me off when people go out of their way NOT to use basic HTML that would accomplish the exact same thing.

    I think some people don't know any better.

    A while ago this company I worked at took on an intern, and he would build this custom javascript that would grab all the data from the form fields, build a query string, and then window.location.href in the script to "submit" the form.

    Even funnier was that his form was otherwise properly set up. His jaw dropped when I removed all of his javascript and the onsubmit form handler and everything still worked properly. He just didnt know that the browser already knew how to submit the data.

     



  • @halcyon1234 said:

    Then I will floss him again, and make him use a regular <input type='submit'>.
     

    Then the "designer" will floss you for using a boring standard button and not the cool one he made in Photoshop... :(

    (In that case I use <button type="submit"><img /></button> and style it with CSS.)



  • @halcyon1234 said:

     <img src='isuckatwebdesign_submit.gif' onclick='document.form.sumbit()'>

     ...

    After that webdesigned swallows and passes one of end of the barbed wire, I will take a firm hold of both ends, and give him a full body floss.

     

    Wow. You're one.tough.sumbitch().


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.