Eve Online server shutdown oops



  • A couple of days ago players on Eve Online were startled to get apopup indicating that the server (largest single mmo server with > 50k simultaneous users in one universe) was about to shut down. turns out it was just an oopsie from a developer. The comments from the developers on the thread are awesome.

    Shutdown of Eve Oline Server




  •  I believe more dev/architecture mishaps should be handled via Eve's cleanup philosophy.



  • Just shows why it's a good idea to have a countdown timer for all shutdowns. This could easily have been a disaster.



  • @lolwtf said:

    Just shows why it's a good idea to have a countdown timer for all shutdowns. This could easily have been a disaster.

    Agreed.  Some time ago, I set a new server up with the latest version of Ubuntu - the first version that uses upstart instead of a more traditional init.  It wasn't intuitively obvious to me how one would change the ctrl-alt-del behavior (only, of course, because I didn't look at all of the filenames in /etc.  That directory's far too overloaded.)  I decided, I'll punt on changing that - surely they have a safe default.

    Some months passed, and then I dropped my keyboard; it happened to flip and press the ctrl-alt-del buttons (not as difficult as it may seem, it's a Kinesis, so they're clustered.  That key cluster hit my foot.)  Bam, system reboot.  In the middle of installing a kernel update.  (Also, I had some moderately extensive code changes I hadn't saved yet in an editor.  Gotta love vim, though; I only lost the last edit.)

    So now that computer waits a minute before rebooting the server in response to ctrl-alt-del, just like all my other boxes.



  • @tgape said:

    @lolwtf said:
    Just shows why it's a good idea to have a countdown timer for all shutdowns. This could easily have been a disaster.

    Agreed.  Some time ago, I set a new server up with the latest version of Ubuntu - the first version that uses upstart instead of a more traditional init.  It wasn't intuitively obvious to me how one would change the ctrl-alt-del behavior (only, of course, because I didn't look at all of the filenames in /etc.  That directory's far too overloaded.)  I decided, I'll punt on changing that - surely they have a safe default.

    Some months passed, and then I dropped my keyboard; it happened to flip and press the ctrl-alt-del buttons (not as difficult as it may seem, it's a Kinesis, so they're clustered.  That key cluster hit my foot.)  Bam, system reboot.  In the middle of installing a kernel update.  (Also, I had some moderately extensive code changes I hadn't saved yet in an editor.  Gotta love vim, though; I only lost the last edit.)

    So now that computer waits a minute before rebooting the server in response to ctrl-alt-del, just like all my other boxes.

    Your servers respond to ctrl-alt-del?  WTF?  I have seriously never seen this before.  I know it doesn't work on my personal machines, but now I'm wondering if it will work on some of the other Linux servers I have access to...  I'm tempted to say it absolutely will not and that you are making this all up to fuck with me, but I'm too chickenshit to try it on production machines.  I mean, surely I've accidentally hit ctrl-alt-del on one of these machines before..  but maybe I've just been lucky.

     

    If you are correct, that is TRWTF; having a single key combination that will restart a server.



  • Ctrl+Alt+Del could be used to restart Ubuntu servers that were not even logged on unless the admin disabled the key combo by commenting out a line in /etc/???  I forget which file it was.  I don't know if this default behavior has changed in more recent releases.

     



  • @tgape said:


    ...and then I dropped my keyboard; it happened to flip and press the ctrl-alt-del buttons (not as difficult as it may seem, it's a Kinesis, so they're clustered.  That key cluster hit my foot.)

     

    The key combination of control-alt-delete was originally chosen because it was impossible to press with one hand (since keyboards of the day didn't have an alt key on the right side) and therefore unlikely to be triggered accidentally. I find it hilarious that people are now intentionally building keyboards that have these keys in such a configuration that they can be pressed together with a single well-placed kick.



  • @Someone You Know said:

    @tgape said:


    ...and then I dropped my keyboard; it happened to flip and press the ctrl-alt-del buttons (not as difficult as it may seem, it's a Kinesis, so they're clustered.  That key cluster hit my foot.)

     

    The key combination of control-alt-delete was originally chosen because it was impossible to press with one hand (since keyboards of the day didn't have an alt key on the right side) and therefore unlikely to be triggered accidentally. I find it hilarious that people are now intentionally building keyboards that have these keys in such a configuration that they can be pressed together with a single well-placed kick.

    To be fair, ctrl-alt-del doesn't reboot a sane OS nowadays.





  • Thread derailled from Eve Online to Ubuntu...

     

    SIGH


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.