Looking for a particular TDWTF article



  • I'm looking for an article posted a few years ago.  (I'm guessing 2005-ish.)  Before you ask, I've googled and I've tried to brute-force it.  No luck.  Time to ask for some help. :)

     

    The bits I remember:

    The story told of a company with a web portal, originally written in VB.  IIRC, that wasn't one of the WTFs!  The WTFs had to do with a new employee's experiences, either during or soon after the project to port it to a more sane webdev language.

    The article was broken-up into 2-3 parts.

    Readers speculated that the portal was used by at least one city as their website.

     

    Unfortunately, that's the all that comes to mind; hope it's enough to trigger someone's memory.  Any leads are appreciated, as I've been trying to answer a question that's been nagging me for a while.

     



  • Google is your friend . Two articles FWICT, 2008 era containing company intranet portal -- one as an error'd.



  • Google was your friend, until they turned their eyes toward global domination. Now, Google is your robot overlord. Bing is your new friend. Interestingly, both engines give two different results. So which one is correct (looks like it is Google, but oh well)?

     

    P.S. I don't know if it's the same for you guys, but I'm seeing a red panda on the bing homepage. Hover over a few of the squares below the search box. One of them says "When these creatures stand on their hind legs, they look like people in animal suits. Don't you think?" and invites you to see images of the red panda. I can't believe a furry is calling the shots over at Bing.



  • @bob171123 said:

    P.S. I don't know if it's the same for you guys, but I'm seeing a red panda on the bing homepage. Hover over a few of the squares below the search box. One of them says "When these creatures stand on their hind legs, they look like people in animal suits. Don't you think?" and invites you to see images of the red panda. I can't believe a furry is calling the shots over at Bing.
     

    they are random, but there are arrows in the lower right corner.  The red panda is also called firefox, guess the connection.



  • @stratos said:

    they are random, but there are arrows in the lower right corner.  The red panda is also called firefox, guess the connection.

     

    The Clint Eastwood movie?



  • @tster said:

    @stratos said:

    they are random, but there are arrows in the lower right corner.  The red panda is also called firefox, guess the connection.

     

    The Clint Eastwood movie?

    I know what you're thinking.  "Did he go through all six pages of search results, or only five?"  Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself.  But being as this is a Micorsoft Bing, the most powerful search engine in the world, and would blow your Google right off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Am I Feeling Lucky?  Well, are ya, punk?



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Bing, the most powerful search engine in the world, and would blow your Google right off
    HALP!  HALP!  SpectateSwamp has gained sentience and hacked morbs' account!



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    But being as this is a Micorsoft Bing and would blow your Google right off

     

    Do you have to go to Thailand to get one of those?



  • Just wait until SSWS arrives.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.