Feel the Sicness

• eh. I graduated last thursday. Got a shit degree that doesnt mean anything. and only 36 of my 108 credits transfer to any school offering a higher degree.

• @feelthesicness said:

eh. I graduated last thursday. Got a shit degree that doesnt mean anything. and only 36 of my 108 credits transfer to any school offering a higher degree.

It's a good job you already have your own l33t web design company then. Oh wait...

• @PeriSoft said:

@galgorah said:

Welcome feelthesicness.  seems like you'll fit right in

He might have to work on his bitterness. I don't think he's bitter enough yet. Definitely has the misanthropic asshole line down pat, though - the kid has promise. All he needs is a degree, five years of thankless drudgery, and slightly better grammar, and he'll be indistinguishable from the rest of the forum!

I would say your spot on.  However I'm not sure if the degree is necessary.  It certainly helps though.  I'm making as much as someone with a masters degree  and I never went to college.  Sure starting off was sucky but after a decade of experience and a proven track record,  I find myself able to be put on equal if not higher standing compared to those with a masters degree.  I would like to note however, that I will be doing an accelerated degree (18 months) in september.  After which I will go for my masters. 

• @feelthesicness said:

eh. I graduated last thursday. Got a shit degree that doesnt mean anything. and only 36 of my 108 credits transfer to any school offering a higher degree.

What is your degree in?  computer science, I assume?  You should definitly go for a masters degree. 

• @galgorah said:

@feelthesicness said:

What is your degree in?  computer science, I assume?  You should definitly go for a masters degree. 
    It's almost certainly an Associate's degree, not a B.S.  Otherwise, he wouldn't have to concern himself with the credits transferring.

• @bstorer said:

@galgorah said:

@feelthesicness said:

It's almost certainly an Associate's degree, not a B.S.  Otherwise, he wouldn't have to concern himself with the credits transferring.

Yeah, but 108 credits for an Associate's?  Damn.

• @galgorah said:

However I'm not sure if the degree is necessary.  It certainly helps though.

I disagree.  I am very competent at being an asshole and I have no degree.

• @bstorer said:

@galgorah said:

@feelthesicness said:

Or it's a B.S. from a school that other universities don't consider a "real" school. Mainstream universities often won't accept some transfer credits from online-only colleges and the like.

• @Someone You Know said:

@bstorer said:

@galgorah said:

@feelthesicness said:

Or it's a B.S. from a school that other universities don't consider a "real" school. Mainstream universities often won't accept some transfer credits from online-only colleges and the like.

That and most universities that I looked at required between 124-130 hours for a BS in Computer Science, making the 108 1 1/2 semesters shy.

• @galgorah said:

You should definitly go for a masters degree. 

Well if we're going to make useful comments... I disagree.  An MS in CS isn't necessarily useful.  (For the rest of this post, I'm referring only to Computer Science degrees.)

Let's say you spend $20,000 and two years getting your MS, at which point you get a job.  The starting salary for MS degrees at my employer is only $5k/year higher than the starting salary for BS degrees.

Let's do the math now.  It takes four years to earn back the money you spent on your two-year MS degree.  It then takes 2*$X/$5000 years to earn back the money you didn't earn just working for those two years, where $X is the starting salary for BS degrees.  If it will take you two decades to earn back the money you didn't earn, and only then do you start making "extra" money, was it worth it?  (I'm assuming raises follow similar patterns and sizes for MS and BS degrees, of course, but the differences aren't that large.)

Personally, I'd say you (that is, the generic "you") should only go for an MS if you like academia - but then, if you like academia, go for a PhD instead (or, as well).  Of course, if you can't find a job, getting an MS isn't a bad way to spend your time...

• @morbiuswilters said:

@blakeyrat said:

I'm loving this "files" directory...

I take you haven't found this yet.

It probably looks better with a furry costume on.

• @Heron said:

@galgorah said:

Well if we're going to make useful comments... I disagree.  An MS in CS isn't necessarily useful. 

I do agree with this, but I would also point out that an MS can be acquired while working full-time, which voids part of your monetary argument.

• @bstorer said:

I do agree with this, but I would also point out that an MS can be acquired while working full-time, which voids part of your monetary argument.

That's true.  I won't discourage anyone from getting an MS while working, I just think that getting one before working is counter-productive, and that seems to be the "normal" course of things (at least among people I know).

•  That's a SIC website doodz.

• @Heron said:

@galgorah said:

Let's say you spend $20,000 and two years getting your MS, at which point you get a job.  The starting salary for MS degrees at my employer is only $5k/year higher than the starting salary for BS degrees.

I have to dissagree with you only because the place you work is not the industry average that I have witnessed.  Here where I work, when I finish my MS in CS I will be given a 10k raise, but like bstore said: I am workign while getting it so I am not losing the 2 years.  At Sandia National Labs the starting salary for a BS is 65k and an MS is 85k.  That's a pretty big chunk.  I think it really depends on what industry you get into.  If you want to work for Lockheed Martin or some research facility then you really should get an MS.  If you plan to work at AT&T fixing their website, it's worthless.

• @bstorer said:

@Heron said:

@galgorah said:

Well if we're going to make useful comments... I disagree.  An MS in CS isn't necessarily useful. 

I had assumed he would be working while getting his MS.  I plan on continuing to work while I get my BS and then MS.  (Thank goodness for accellerated degrees) 

• @Heron said:

@savar said:

In Safari they show up off screen when you mouse over, so you have to scroll with your mouse because if you reach for the scroll bar the image will disappear, the overflow disappears, and the scroll bars disappear.

It does that in Firefox 3.5, too.

Just tried in IE6. Works perfectly.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@galgorah said:
    However I'm not sure if the degree is necessary.  It certainly helps though.
    I disagree.  I am very competent at being an asshole and I have no degree.
    Took the words right out of my my mouth

• @Heron said:

Let's do the math now.  It takes four years to earn back the money you spent on your two-year MS degree.

Your math is flawed.

You failed to take into account raises.  If one gets a job at a good company, and demonstrates high competence and a good work ethic, it's quite possible to get more than a $3k raise in a year.

Do that twice, and you can *never* earn the money back from the MS.  In this field, unless one wants to stay in academia, it almost *never* makes sense to go for a MS full-time.

Depending on the company you work for, it may or may not make sense to get an MS part-time.

As far as going for the MS just because you can't find work - I actually took 11 months out of college to find a full-time job, and I *still* managed to make more than $5k more two years after I graduated than I did the first year I had real employment.  And that's with having pulled off two failed projects in that first year, and having a good start on a third.  (In my defense - the project failures were not my fault, and my management knew it.  In fact, I'd produced an excellent paper trail that showed that, which my management really appreciated.)

• @Indrora said:

Excuse me? Somtimes High schoolers can do a
    reasonable job

Yes, because a site that completely breaks on IE6 when you go to the blog page is quite reasonable.

Actually it gets about halfway through loading the page and then the error below appears, after which I get the standard 404 page. The same thing happens if I try to read an individual blog post.

---------------------------

Microsoft Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://sonof.bandit.name/flatpress/.

Operation aborted

OK

• @Indrora said:

[quote user="Aaron"]

[quote user="Judinous"]

"I, Chris Martin established SIC in 2007 while I was just in High School."

That makes a lot of sense.  Everything we've seen so far screams "dipshit who just graduated or possibly didn't graduate from high school."  Although the trainwreck is amusing, it would have been funnier if it had come from a "professional".

[/quote]Excuse me? Somtimes High schoolers can do a reasonable job.[/quote]
    I don't think mine's too bad... Not that I'm a designer or anything. Although I'm not a recent high-school graduate any more, I'm a second-year university student now.

• @Daniel15 said:

I don't think mine's too bad... Not that I'm a designer or anything. Although I'm not a recent high-school graduate any more, I'm a second-year university student now.

It's actually not bad.  The colors are a bit garish, but for a personal page that's no biggie.

You are serving the site as text/html even though it is XHTML, so browsers are just going to treat it as badly-formed HTML.  When forcing the property Content-Type, Firefox explodes with the following error:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
    Line Number 57, Column 144:                <iframe id="wlm_iframe" src="http://settings.messenger.live.com/Conversation/IMMe.aspx?invitee=135148d074926a0d@apps.messenger.live.com&mkt=en-AU" width="300" height="400" frameborder="0"></iframe>

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

Yes, because a site that completely breaks on IE6 when you go to the blog page is quite reasonable.
    I’m glad we agree. In fact, the more sites that completely break in IE6 the better.

@Scarlet Manuka said:

Filed under: TRWTF is *not* IE6. This time.
    Wait, what? Are you serious? I’m pretty sure when the manufacturer says “this is fixed in the latest version of our software”, and it doesn’t break completely anywhere else, it is the software’s fault.

•  USA is so fucked up.

How can a bank not have internet banking? So you actually have to call them to bank transfers??

It is so backwards, it is forwards "We have 0% failure rate with our internet banking and online security"

• @Helix said:

USA is so fucked up.

How can a bank not have internet banking? So you actually have to call them to bank transfers??

It is so backwards, it is forwards "We have 0% failure rate with our internet banking and online security"

Surely we're not the only country with a midwest. Where do you get your corn?

• @blakeyrat said:

@Helix said:
    USA is so fucked up.

From the USA, of course.  Duh!

Actually, I suppose you folks deserve respect for still having small local banks that apparently aren't even part of a major chain.  Although the problem with small banks, as this example illustrates, is the same as with small independent mom-and-pop grocery stores: pretty much everybody loves them in principle and thinks it's a shame that the large chains are forcing them out of business, but that warm and fuzzy feeling only lasts until you actually need to buy some groceries.

Mind you, it's not just the small local banks that can have their online banking system developed by retarded monkeys on crack.

• @vyznev said:

@blakeyrat said:

@Helix said:
    USA is so fucked up.

From the USA, of course.  Duh!

Actually, I suppose you folks deserve respect for still having small local banks that apparently aren't even part of a major chain.  Although the problem with small banks, as this example illustrates, is the same as with small independent mom-and-pop grocery stores: pretty much everybody loves them in principle and thinks it's a shame that the large chains are forcing them out of business, but that warm and fuzzy feeling only lasts until you actually need to buy some groceries.

Mind you, it's not just the small local banks that can have their online banking system developed by retarded monkeys on crack.

I don't know about that. We have our banks where I live but the local credit union is pretty popular. To me it's better knowing the people you do business with are local and as a result they know more about what loans are best for your situation and how your financial decisions will affect you. If all you're gonna do is keep your money in a safe place a small bank is just as fine.

• @bob171123 said:

I don't know about that. We have our banks where I live but the local credit union is pretty popular. To me it's better knowing the people you do business with are local and as a result they know more about what loans are best for your situation and how your financial decisions will affect you. If all you're gonna do is keep your money in a safe place a small bank is just as fine.

in my view you should handle your OWN finance and not let someone make decisions for you.  Dunno about you but i do not need "loans for situations", sounds like you ask the bank to bail you out of your own drug habits.  Since they are local they are like "Sure, we all need a little money for crack every now and then".

• @Helix said:

@bob171123 said:

in my view you should handle your OWN finance and not let someone make decisions for you.  Dunno about you but i do not need "loans for situations", sounds like you ask the bank to bail you out of your own drug habits.  Since they are local they are like "Sure, we all need a little money for crack every now and then".

Hey, if you're living in a small town, it's pretty hard to hit enough dear old ladies on the head to pay for your house without a bank loan. Then it's nice if the bank knows how many dears are around so they don't lend you more than you can pay back.

• @Helix said:

@bob171123 said:

Well, when your parents, siblings, friends, coworkers, family-in-law, neighbors, and church won't give you money to get your fix, you have to go to somebody.

• @Helix said:

Alright, did Helix get a lobotomy?  Or was his account hacked by Swampy?  I don't remember him being this incoherent.

• @bob171123 said:

Pfft.. fuck that.  I do all my banking with Citi, BoA and Chase.  I know my money is safe, because Congress, the Fed and the Treasury cannot let them fail without looking like idiots; they will take every penny you have and use it to prop up my banks before they let me be at risk.

I'm confident in my financial security: my deposits are backed by the full faith, credit and vanity of the United States Government.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Pfft.. fuck that.  I do all my banking with Citi, BoA and Chase.  I know my money is safe, because Congress, the Fed and the Treasury cannot let them fail without looking like idiots; they will take every penny you have and use it to prop up my banks before they let me be at risk.

I'm confident in my financial security: my deposits are backed by the full faith, credit and vanity of the United States Government.

Yeah but as long as the small bank is FDIC insured you are guarenteed to get your money (up to a certain amount of course, which being a poor developer I'm not worried about, I don't know about you, but I don't currently have 20 Million sitting in any of my accounts).

• @amischiefr said:

Yeah but as long as the small bank is FDIC insured you are guarenteed to get your money (up to a certain amount of course, which being a poor developer I'm not worried about, I don't know about you, but I don't currently have 20 Million sitting in any of my accounts).

Well, sorta.  FDIC will probably be bailed out when it finally runs out of money, but the To Big To Fail banks have already been bailed out, so my thinking is that Congress and the Executive are more likely to bail out companies they already have a big "investment" in first.  Also, it's logistically easier to bail out big banks since they already have Fed accounts.  In fact, the Fed can bail out big banks "under the radar" by extending their lines of credit, offering lower discount rates and by upping the interest they "earn" on their Fed money.  Which is what they are doing now.  Realistically, small banks that fail are usually just sold to large banks because it's easier to hide the red ink that way and it's easier to provide covert support to the big banks.

BTW, the FDIC account limits are at $250k now, I believe.  They were raised from $100k last December to increase confidence.

• @bob171123 said:

I don't know about that. We have our banks where I live but the local credit union is pretty popular. To me it's better knowing the people you do business with are local

So the people who work at the banks in your town aren't "local" people?  Do they fly in from some other state every day?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Helix said:

Alright, did Helix get a lobotomy?  Or was his account hacked by Swampy?  I don't remember him being this incoherent.

No, the former.  The only downside is the epileptic convulsions, motor weakness and word deafness.  But most of those are solved with drugs.

• @El_Heffe said:

@bob171123 said:

I don't know about that. We have our banks where I live but the local credit union is pretty popular. To me it's better knowing the people you do business with are local

So the people who work at the banks in your town aren't "local" people?  Do they fly in from some other state every day?

Of course the tellers are local, but the managers/execs are not. They were not born and raised in that town, which is how I define local.

• I haven't felt the sicness in a good many posts now. Disappointing.

I used to bank with a local bank (Seafirst), but then they got bought out by Bank of America. Then right when I was about to switch to another local bank (Washington Mutual), they got bought out by Chase. So now the only local banks around me are the super-tiny ones that don't have any ATMs. :(

• @blakeyrat said:

... Then right when I was about to switch to another local bank (Washington Mutual), they got bought out by Chase...
    Not to be pedantic, but WaMu's accounts were sold to Chase by the FDIC (which WaMu claims was done illegally, as WaMu claims that they were not failing).  The WaMu v. FDIC lawsuit should be entertaining (if you like that sort of thing)

• Not to be pedantic, (incredibly pedantic statement here).

Not to be insulting, but eat shit and die.

• @blakeyrat said:

I haven't felt the sicness in a good many posts now. Disappointing.

Been busy. Still getting emails with responses so im up-to-date. Its pretty amusing sometimes hahaha.

• @smbarbour said:

@blakeyrat said:

... Then right when I was about to switch to another local bank (Washington Mutual), they got bought out by Chase...
    Not to be pedantic, but WaMu's accounts were sold to Chase by the FDIC (which WaMu claims was done illegally, as WaMu claims that they were not failing).  The WaMu v. FDIC lawsuit should be entertaining (if you like that sort of thing)

Your pedantic assertion changes *nothing*.  You are agreeing that WaMu got bought out by Chase; you're just explaining that it was neither voluntary nor uncontested.  That is completely irrelevant to the point that there's no local banks of significance around blakeyrat.

You could have mentioned something of pertinence instead, if you wanted, as there's lots to potentially say:

• WaMu was far too big to be a 'local' bank, even if you live in their home town.
    • Wow - someone wanted to switch *to* WaMu in 2008?
    • <censored />
    • You wanted to have to actually look at your messages about your WaMu account to see if they were legit?
    • So *that* would explain why I stopped getting WaMu spam!  Hooray!

I'm sure you could've come up with many others.

• @tgape said:

Wow - someone wanted to switch *to* WaMu in 2008?

Well, to be fair, I was coming *from* Bank of America. My home loan was WaMu, though, God knows who owns that now.

Any bank recommendations?

• @tgape said:

Wow - someone wanted to switch *to* WaMu in 2008?

I remember seeing ads on TV a couple years ago where WaMu had all these old, white business dudes (without their pants on?) and the entire gist was that WaMu was a "different kind of bank" that wasn't "old-fashioned", "stodgy" or "staffed by actual, competent businessmen".  My immediate thought was: this is just like one of those terrible family movies where some old guy dies and his will stipulates his next-of-kin must take over the bank but it turns out his next-of-kin is some fish-out-of-water character, like an infant who can't talk or an inner-city adolescent orphan who wants to be a rapper or a rural potato farmer who just wants to "do the right thing" and the entire time all of the VPs are running around trying to make the new bank president happy (with "hilarious" results) except for maybe one of the VPs who you can tell from the beginning is evil and who almost brings down the new bank president, only to have everything work out in the end with all the formerly-stodgy VPs break dancing to hip-hop while the credits roll.

That was when I knew I wanted nothing to do with whatever the hell was going on at WaMu.

• @morbiuswilters said:

My immediate thought was
    Error.  Maximum number of words in a sentence exceeded.  Please consider restructuring.

• @tgape said:

@smbarbour said:

@blakeyrat said:

Your pedantic assertion changes *nothing*.  You are agreeing that WaMu got bought out by Chase; you're just explaining that it was neither voluntary nor uncontested.  That is completely irrelevant to the point that there's no local banks of significance around blakeyrat.

You could have mentioned something of pertinence instead, if you wanted, as there's lots to potentially say:

• WaMu was far too big to be a 'local' bank, even if you live in their home town.
    • Wow - someone wanted to switch *to* WaMu in 2008?
    • <censored />
    • You wanted to have to actually look at your messages about your WaMu account to see if they were legit?
    • So *that* would explain why I stopped getting WaMu spam!  Hooray!

I'm sure you could've come up with many others.

WaMu's accounts were sold to Chase.  Being "bought out" would imply that WaMu (or it's owners) actually received compensation.  Would you also argue that if your car was stolen and sold on the black market, that you were bought out of your car?

Of course, being "bought out" would also imply that Chase actually paid for it rather than being told, "Here is WaMu's accounts and money"

On a different note, about 10 years ago, the bank I used was TCF (which is TRWTF of the banking industry).  They decided to leave the area I was in and sold my account to a local bank, and I couldn't be happier.

• @blakeyrat said:

@tgape said:

Wow - someone wanted to switch to WaMu in 2008?

Well, to be fair, I was coming from Bank of America. My home loan was WaMu, though, God knows who owns that now.

Any bank recommendations?

<blink></blink>

East Cambridge Savings Bank is offering a 4% interest rate on their super-savings checking account after you spend most of the month at a 0.2% interest rate.

Sorry, that's the best I can do; I'm not in Seattle.

What I do is have a few bank accounts.  First, I have a small account with a national chain, for access to ATMs (I direct deposit around $50-100 per month there).  Then, I have accounts with two local banks which meet the following criteria:

• They service their own loans.
    • They don't boast of too good to be true offers.
    • They allow direct deposit.  (Not much of a qualifier; most banks love direct deposit.  But I have run into at least one bank that didn't.)
    • They push fixed rate interest loans when interest rates are low.
    • They offer no service fee accounts for students, (poor?) elderly, and possibly other groups to which I don't belong.
    • They offer free IOLTA accounts.  (Yep, another one of those crazy provisions for people who are not me, given that I'm not a lawyer.)
    • Their website has at least a 128 bit cert, and no obvious security issues.

• They are insured.  FDIC is pretty cheap, so it's crazy to go with someone who won't even insure their accounts that much.

At the moment, I actually live closer to both of the local banks than to the national chain, but for a while, most of our deposits went to the national bank first.  We would then write ourselves a check when the national bank built up too much of a reserve, and deposit that in one of the others.  Not that it happened much, since paychecks get direct deposited.

Note that the criteria which appear altruistic are actually measures of long-term viability.  A bank may be a business, but it doesn't need to rip off its customers - it's more likely to survive long-term if it doesn't.  A bank doesn't need to have no service fee accounts for students, but students usually earn more money after they graduate, and tend to not change banks without reason, so they usually more than pay for themselves.  Allowing free accounts for the elderly tends to mean getting accounts for older people before they really need to have the no-service fee account.  IOLTA accounts tend to be another stability item; a lawyer won't move their IOLTA accounts unless they find another bank that will charge less, or is more convenient to them; there is no interest (to them or their client) so interest rate changes won't motivate an IOLTA account move.  Pushing fixed interest rate loans tends to mean lower rates of defaults, as does the servicing their own loans.

So, if something happens to one of my local banks, at worst, I've only lost about half of my money, not all of it.  In a more likely scenario, I can transfer all of my money to the one local bank that still matches the profile, while I look for a new local bank.

Admittedly, this means that I need to remember three PINs.  Well, really, what it means is, when I want to withdraw from one of my local banks, I go talk to a teller, because I can't remember the PIN and I don't even carry their ATM cards most of the time anyway.  But the only time that ever happens is when my wife wants $50 bills or some crazy thing like that.

• @tgape said:

East Cambridge Savings Bank is offering a 4% interest rate on their super-savings checking account after you spend most of the month at a 0.2% interest rate.

Wait, you live in Boston?  I thought you were in England...

• @tgape said:

They offer no service fee accounts for students, (poor?) elderly, and possibly other groups to which I don't belong.

My main financial institution offers fee-free banking to all, complete with unlimited internet banking and internal transactions (their own ATMs and over the counter withdrawls). This is for both individuals and business accounts. It is a bit smaller than other banks but I reckon it punches above its weight. Also, they were the first in Australia to offer "Choose your own card". I have a photo of my dog on my credit card, instead of some generic pattern. :)

@tgape said:

Admittedly, this means that I need to remember three PINs. 

This is probably bad security but I change all my PINs to be the same. I have four cards (personal, personal backup, joint account with wife, business credit card) in my wallet and they all have the same PIN. Had the same PIN since 1993 when I got my first keycard on my Dollarmites account. Though giving a 12 year old easy access to his own money probably wasn't the best idea...

• @Zemm said:

My main financial institution offers fee-free banking to all, complete with unlimited internet banking and internal transactions (their own ATMs and over the counter withdrawls). This is for both individuals and business accounts.

BoA charges me no fees.

@Zemm said:

Also, they were the first in Australia to offer "Choose your own card". I have a photo of my dog on my credit card, instead of some generic pattern. :)

If I found your wallet on the street, this would tip the scales from "find Zemm and give his wallet back" to "steal his cash and throw the wallet away".  Just so you know.