Really secure private area

•  A couple years ago I was contacted by these guys who realized that access to private area on their website was somehow flaky. 

I had big laughs when i checked the page source.. :)   Somebody else did the job, but for posterity archive.org still has a mirror of their homepage.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070627083815/http://www.aprilitalia.com/

• TRWTF? (parts of the image omitted for your viewing convenience)

[There should be an image here. I could try to do an ASCII version of the image, but I doubt it would work]

• @Zecc said:

TRWTF?
    bbcode is hard :(

• No, CS just sucks.

• @Zecc said:

TRWTF? (parts of the image omitted for your viewing convenience)

[screenshot]

TRWTF is Linux type antialiasing. I know it's a Hard Problem, but man, please try harder, linux community!

• @dhromed said:

@Zecc said:

TRWTF? (parts of the image omitted for your viewing convenience)

[screenshot]

TRWTF is Linux type antialiasing. I know it's a Hard Problem, but man, please try harder, linux community!

Quality products in a timely manner from Open Source? you must be dreaming.

• @dhromed said:

What are you talking about? If you don't like the full hinting mode, there are three others that can be used. In my opinion, the anti-aliasing in Linux is the best, because it manages to provide anti-aliasing for all fonts and sizes (unlike Windows's "standard" anti-aliasing mode) whilst still ensuring that fonts are properly mapped to the screen's pixel grid. (Reducing the amount of hinting will progressively give you a more Mac OS-like appearance as characters stop aligning to the pixel grid.)

Or were you just trying to flamebait people like me? :)

• @snover said:

@dhromed said:
    What are you talking about? If you don't like the full hinting mode, there are three others that can be used. In my opinion, the anti-aliasing in Linux is the best, because it manages to provide anti-aliasing for all fonts and sizes (unlike Windows's "standard" anti-aliasing mode) whilst still ensuring that fonts are properly mapped to the screen's pixel grid. (Reducing the amount of hinting will progressively give you a more Mac OS-like appearance as characters stop aligning to the pixel grid.)

My general response to posts like yours is:

"If Linux can make fonts look good, why doesn't it do that by default!??!"

It's amazing how many thousands of things that applies to.

• @blakeyrat said:

@snover said:

@dhromed said:

My general response to posts like yours is:

"If Linux can make fonts look good, why doesn't it do that by default!??!"

It's amazing how many thousands of things that applies to.

Because everything in Linux has to be as complicated as they can get away with.

• Cleartype's hinted antialias looks a lot better than Ubuntu's.

My Ubuntu installation underwent some upgrades since I last tinkered with the fonts (I fuck with Linux so rarely that every time I start up the box, there are at least 100 megs of updates, and there has been 1 major update), so I'll review the antialias methods once again, but last time I checked, there was no gradual scale between hinted/not-hinted, and none of the options approached the quality of either Cleartype or Quartz (as evidenced by Zecc's screenshot: dayum!).

It may also be an artifact of the fonts used; but I'll refrain from judgement there until I've checked 'em out on Windows or OSX.

I do admire, however, the option for BGR and vertical RGB alignments. I'd like that for my current screen, which is rotated 90 degrees.

• It's either my eyes going worse or my laptop's screen disguising it, but it doesn't look that bad to me.

Will someone please post a screenshot of their own for comparison?

• The first "What's up with" seems blurred and slightly jagged. The second looks a lot better than the first and is quite clear.

The black text on "Default on my system" looks terrible, namely the 'w's and 'y's. Some letter contours turn red or green. Specially the double ells or 'li's. The "Stylish" text looks better, but it still suffers from the same, only less so.

I guess I just have a viewing rectangle different from yours. I remember I spent quite sometime a while ago messing with the configuration until I was satisfied. So it works for me.

• Probably it's your screen grabber but the Linux antialiasing looks much better to me in all respects.

Also nice to let us whois your IP address

• @dhromed said:

Aye. [200k]

The default is actually really hard on my eyes. The second looks nice. Personally have no issue with the fonts on Linux (including Zecc's screenshot)

• @dhromed said:

I do admire, however, the option for BGR and vertical RGB alignments. I'd like that for my current screen, which is rotated 90 degrees.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 are supposed to auto-detect that.

If they don't, you can go into the ClearType Text Tuner and go through its options, it'll find out the wrong color order very quickly and fix it for you. (Or at least make it more readable.) Type "ClearType" into the Control Panel search box. (I think... think... you can download it for XP, but I'm not sure there.)

What bothers me most about the Linux smoothing in those screenshots, if you really don't see the problem, is that letters with small almost-enclosed areas, like "s" and "a" seem to fill in with a grey shade. Also, look at the lines on the s... the line thickness changes (or appears to) like 3 times in a single 12-point curve. I don't really like Apple's either, since Apple doesn't align to pixel boundaries it always seem a lot more fuzzy to me than it should be-- I can get used to it, and I used to have a Mac as my primary machine-- but given the choice I prefer ClearType.

One interesting note: Word screws with ClearType, so if you're testing fonts in Word, it'll look like the kerning is off on narrow characters like 'l' or 'i'. Word prints fine, but for some reason they decided to "improve" ClearType, and their version looks funky.

•  @Lingerance said:

@dhromed said:

Aye. [200k]

The default is actually really hard on my eyes. The second looks nice. Personally have no issue with the fonts on Linux (including Zecc's screenshot)

Yah, I agree, Dhromed's smoothing looks pretty bad. Probably the pixel color order, like he suggested. If you're looking at that on a daily basis you can't criticize Linux. :)

• @dhromed said:

Aye. [200k]

Jesus, man.  There's, like, a red blurriness to all of the letters.  It hurts my eyes.

•  Huh, I don't see any of the distortions mentioned, in any of the screenshots.  And I'm a severe graphics nut.

• @Master Chief said:

Huh, I don't see any of the distortions mentioned, in any of the screenshots.  And I'm a severe graphics nut.

Clearly your eyes are no good.

• I think the monitors are fucking with us. I never trusted them, the way they look at us...

• @blakeyrat said:

Probably the pixel color order, like he suggested

That's it.

The color fringing is absolutely minimal from where I'm sitting, but it's bound to be misaligned on other monitors. I used the standalone cleartype tuner. The final result is a good deal prettier than Zecc's shot.

Vista may auto-detect RGB/BGR automatically, but it and its Cleartype sure don't compensate for vertical BGR, because the jagged bits are still on the horizontals. 90° rotation is totally suboptimal for Cleartype.

But as someone said at some point, your read best what you read most. Quartz looks blurry to me right now, but one could get used to it. The sharp/blur patches in Linux' non-subpixel antialias really jump out at me.

• @dhromed said:

The color fringing is absolutely minimal from where I'm sitting, but it's bound to be misaligned on other monitors.
    So TRWTF is us trying to send screenshots of something that is pretty much monitor-specific?

Or that we only noticed by now?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Master Chief said:

Huh, I don't see any of the distortions mentioned, in any of the screenshots.  And I'm a severe graphics nut.

Clearly your eyes are no good.

Holy shit, I looked through again with my tablet in it's vertical "book" alignment.  Fucking hell.

• @Zecc said:

So TRWTF is us trying to send screenshots of something that is pretty much monitor-specific?

Or that we only noticed by now?

Well, at least now nobody has to guess how it looks, as in, we know that it's fruitless to even try and guess how it looks.

I could take a picture, but it wouldn't be as stable or crisp as the human eye.

• Right, so now that I have re-fucked with the settings on my linux box, I'm going to have to eat my earlier criticism of linux font antialias, because it only looks crap when you set hinting to Medium or Full + greyscale aa ( = Zecc's shot). On Slight + subpixel, it's actually better than either Cleartype or Quartz, IMHO, even with an odd font like the one I chose for this screenshot.

Lookit!

Pretty good stuff.

• That is significantly better, which goes back to my previous point: why the hell doesn't it ship that way by default?

Also: what the hell are you using as a menu font? Is that Papyrus?

•  @blakeyrat said:

That is significantly better, which goes back to my previous point: why the hell doesn't it ship that way by default?
    I thought that the last time I did a fresh install of Kubuntu it did default to that hinting setting, but I don’t remember for certain. I do know that I remember having to fiddle around to get it back to what I was used to (full hinting; call me broken in the head, but I like it :))

@blakeyrat said:

Purisa Medium.

• @snover said:

@blakeyrat said:
    Purisa Medium.

I chose it for this shot because I wanted to see how it handled (assumedly) unoptimized, unhinted fonts. Verdict: fucking excellent. Take that, Cleartype.

@blakeyrat said:

why the hell doesn't it ship that way by default?

I honestly don't know. It's gorgeous.

@snover said:

(full hinting; call me broken in the head, but I like it :))

Hey, you wouldn't believe some of the absolutely fucked colour schemes some people use. Whatever floats ya boat, I guess.

I also just viewed my earlier shot (from a rotated S-IPS) on my home monitor (Dell CRT), and it's like all yellow.

• @blakeyrat said:

I'm posting this 5 minutes in from a fresh livecd of Ubuntu 9, and I'm cheerful to report that it ships that way by default.

So.

Now that the world is in order, let's have lunch.

• @dhromed said:

@snover said:

@blakeyrat said:
    Purisa Medium.

I chose it for this shot because I wanted to see how it handled (assumedly) unoptimized, unhinted fonts. Verdict: fucking excellent. Take that, Cleartype.

@blakeyrat said:

I honestly don't know. It's gorgeous.

Wow did you just discover a new masturbation ritual or something?

It's a fucking font, dude, relax.

• @dhromed said:

@blakeyrat said:

I'm posting this 5 minutes in from a fresh livecd of Ubuntu 9, and I'm cheerful to report that it ships that way by default.

So.

Now that the world is in order, let's have lunch.

Great, now Linux has only 736 deficiencies keeping me from using it full-time.

• @blakeyrat said:

Wow did you just discover a new masturbation ritual or something?

It's a fucking font, dude, relax.

This is better than masturbation; my pants aren't all sticky.

• Don't worry.

I just ran a pants wash.