Really, MS Word? really!?

• Not a WTF, but not a LOLCAT either. WhyTF does MS word need to accept incoming network connections?

•  The spell check feature actually sends your text over the internets to a company in zimbabwe where baboons look up words in a dictionary and pound a red button when some words can't be found. You should RTFM.

• @savar said:

WhyTF does MS word need to accept incoming network connections?

Interprocess communication?

• @tster said:

@savar said:
    WhyTF does MS word need to accept incoming network connections?
    Interprocess communication?
    Then it's doing it wrong.  All you need for IPC is access to the clipboard.

• @bob171123 said:

The spell check feature actually sends your text over the internets to a company in zimbabwe where baboons look up words in a dictionary and pound a red button when some words can't be found. You should RTFM.

That actually explains a lot.

• Garbage Person

I hate it when people who should know better ask this kind of question. Allow it and capture the damned traffic to see wtf is going on.

... Then again, you do use a mac.

• :belt_onion:

@Weng said:

I hate it when people who should know better ask this kind of question. Allow it and capture the damned traffic to see wtf is going on.
    And what to do if it is encrpyted?

• @bjolling said:

@Weng said:

And what to do if it is encrpyted?

Deny it.

• @savar said:

Not a WTF, but not a LOLCAT either. WhyTF does MS word need to accept incoming network connections?

Why does installing a printer require me to connect to the Internet? Or have at least version 5 of IE? The bottom line: everything requires everything. It's a natural outgrowth of the lazy, one-size-fits-all programming that I desperately try to discourage - here and elsewhere.

• @bridget99 said:

Or have at least version 5 of IE?
    that's one I explained to a collegue the other day, who could not rad help files after installing a program in Wine. It's because MS's HTMLHELP is rendered with IE.

Another reason a lot of install scripts require a certain version of IE is because parts of the OS actually get patched though IE upgrades. At least that's how things used to be in the years that I wrote MSI/Wise installer scripts (2000-2005).

As to why Word would need an internet connection. I have no clue, my version on the Mac never asks for one, but then I have version 2004, you might have 2008, which apparently has a new phone home feature.

• @RogerWilco said:

that's one I explained to a collegue the other day, who could not rad help files after installing a program in Wine. It's because MS's HTMLHELP is rendered with IE.

Actually, Wine's HTML help viewer uses a gecko component (which needs to be installed separately, with winetricks, e.g.). Of course, Wine's HTML help viewer sucks. Go KchmViewer!

• I think it asks to access network shared drives. But I disabled my WTFirewall long time ago.