Worthess CodeProject article, but the comments section is pretty good

• Oftentimes, small items of great worth are concealed in a distracting mess of rubble. Consider the world of, say, software development. One has to clear away a great deal of OO mumbo-jumbo to get at the good parts of C++ (i.e. C), and to get to the really, really good part (the preprocessor), one must practically swim laps in a metaphorical sea consisting of Herb Schildt's garbage. 

Today's Feature consists of such a needle-in-haystack dilemma. Surely, there is no shortage of slapdash articles on CodeProject. "Write a couple of these, Pan Chod, and, if they're good, you get to eat!" has become the equivalent of "Go west, young man" in much of today's third world.

Of course, it takes a real "Web-2.0-Savvy" blogonaut to extract any value from such material. One must become a sort of Henry Morton Stanley of cyberspace, braving the Fever Swamps of A Thousand Homegrown ORMs, the Deadly Forest of Three Tiers, and other fearsome cyber-locales, each bursting with its own host of brain-melting terrors, in his quest for anything of value. This might be a snippet of acharacteristically useful code, or even (as in Today's Feature) an amusing flame war.

Thanks to these braver denizens of Web 2.1, such as, in this case, myself, some of the more amusing speciminry have been isolated from this morass and brought back to civilization. Or, in the case of Daily WTF, brought back to Texas.

So, I offer you today's little gem. Ignore as much as possible of the article proper. The real meeting-of-the-minds occurs in the commentary at the bottom:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/Best_practise_using_var.aspx

(By the way, if you're wondering about the mention of "Web 2.1" I made above, I actually just released a new version of Web while I was typing this).

• @TFA said:

Ticket: (No ticket provided - possibly an error in the error-system)
    Error: An error occurred in this page. The error has been recorded and the site administrator informed.

• @Lingerance said:

@TFA said:
    Ticket: (No ticket provided - possibly an error in the error-system) Error: An error occurred in this page. The error has been recorded and the site administrator informed.

At first, I thought this was some sort of nerdier equivalent to saying "You are the weakest link- goodbye." Then, I realized that it is actually a Code Project error message. I tried the link again, and I saw it, too, but I used "Back" and clicked the link a second time and it worked. So maybe you should retry? Lulz.

• @bridget99 said:

@Lingerance said:

@TFA said:
    Ticket: (No ticket provided - possibly an error in the error-system)
    Error: An error occurred in this page. The error has been recorded and the site administrator informed.

At
    first, I thought this was some sort of nerdier equivalent to saying
    "You are the weakest link- goodbye." Then, I realized that it is
    actually a Code Project error message. I tried the link again, and I
    saw it, too, but I used "Back" and clicked the link a second time and
    it worked. So maybe you should retry? Lulz.

Yeah, it's up now. I actaully tried three times in a row. For future reference it's usually polite to quote TFA when posting links because no-one seems to give a shit abount link-rot anymore. Also, not entirely sure where the WTF is your claim that the comments are better than the article is odd, as the first comment I saw was some rant about passports:
    @http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/Best_practise_using_var.aspx?msg=3265860#xx3265860xx said:
    Another effective argument it to ask suddenly: “Can I see your passport?”

M. Zhvanetsky

The whole article is methodically, socially and morally incorrect.

The general intention is maybe quite good: there are many techniques and features around which could be abused, some others are actually abused very often, so anyone could use a good advice on “Do” vs. “Don’t” -- only if the advice is good.

• @Lingerance said:

Also, not entirely sure where the WTF is your claim that the comments are better than the article is odd, as the first comment I saw was some rant about passports: @http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/Best_practise_using_var.aspx?msg=3265860#xx3265860xx said:
    Another effective argument it to ask suddenly: “Can I see your passport?”
    M. Zhvanetsky

The whole article is methodically, socially and morally incorrect.
    The general intention is maybe quite good: there are many techniques and features around which could be abused, some others are actually abused very often, so anyone could use a good advice on “Do” vs. “Don’t” -- only if the advice is good.

I meant that the comments were "better" as in more of a WTF. The article is just lame... typical quasi-helpful, commonsensical filler: "Do X. Unless Y. Microsoft says that, occassionally, Z." Blah, blah, blah... somebody page Dr. Kervorkian.

What I thought was a WTF was the responses the article provoked. But upon reflection I really agree with a lot of the responses. "Playing expert" in this way really annoys the hell out of me.

So I guess The Real WTF (tm) is that someone agrees with me, and is even more vociferous and obnoxious in voicing their opinion?

• TRWTF is that articles like this manage to get out. CodeProject is just notorious for beggars, prostitutes and people who will go "HEY I FOUND A BUG! FIX IT! OR... something.... " I've seen more "plz help" and "can you make it do (something completely unrelated)" comments than I care. There was a comment I at one point saw that someone actually rewrote the code for a control someone had posted and then the OP asked for royalties. Serious beans. And in another case, someone fixed up a really nice library and then proceeded to ask money for the fixed version of it. There are several major libraries that started as free libraries (see: .NET Magic) that now run >$500. Nice going, CP. Really... nice going.

• The real WTF here is that no one has noticed the reason for the error in the CP link. There is a blank space appended to the end of the link.

Thanks for giving me a good smartassed first post! :)

• @hmcclungiii said:

The real WTF here is that no one has noticed the reason for the error in the CP link. There is a blank space appended to the end of the link.

Thanks for giving me a good smartassed first post! :)

WorksForMe