Nobody shares knowledge better than this

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@Nyquist said:

You really havent kept up with the whole Obama Youtube thing have you. Or the knockon trend it has had on politics and 'open government' overseas.

Politicians still plant lots of questions. It's easy to spot and record the stooges. If they really wanted open government. There would be an open link from the oval office to the net for at least half of the day. Everybody would be watching. If I were Mayor; all discussions would be videoed and posted on the web. Any special favours would be for all to see. It won't happen.

Let's just put it on C-SPAN3 - yet another channel that 99.5% of people will steadfastly ignore.  Besides, that way when you're living out in a shack that only gets dialup, you can still watch if you really really want to.  I'm pretty sure the Unabomber didn't have DSL either.

• PR isn't sharing it's shoving

@bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

If I were Mayor
    @SpectateSwamp said:
    It won't happen.

Thank God for little miracles.

CHANGE that

If I were President.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

CHANGE that

If I were President.

Doug "Hussein" Pederson?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

If I were Mayor
    @SpectateSwamp said:
    It won't happen.

Thank God for little miracles.

CHANGE that

If I were President.

You're not even clear on the structure of your own country's government, are you?

• Video == Knowledge <> PR

Sharing unedited video is the purest form of sharing knowledge, everything
    else is hearsay. Especially during political events. Don't be fooled by the old
    public media's attempt at informing us. There is a ton of interesting stories on the
    local level, that are surrounded by rumor and need net video to get the truth out.
    The old media isn't about truth, it's about money and power.

Share your local political videos my Swampies.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

else is hearsay.

What about forming a direct link between brains and letting knowledge flow unhindered, eh?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Don't be fooled by the old
    public media's attempt at informing us.
    What, like PBS and NPR?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

else is hearsay.
    Assuming anyone can be bothered to watch the entire thing, coherent and honest editing however can provide the same information in a more concise and digestible form. All the bits when people are leaving / entering the stage, toilet breaks, confusion over how to turn the microphone on / off etc don't really constitute knowledge sharing in my mind and would in fact cause me to lose interest and stop watching.

• The best Desktop Search engine makes sharing knowledge easy

@spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

else is hearsay.
    Assuming anyone can be bothered to watch the entire thing, coherent and honest editing however can provide the same information in a more concise and digestible form. All the bits when people are leaving / entering the stage, toilet breaks, confusion over how to turn the microphone on / off etc don't really constitute knowledge sharing in my mind and would in fact cause me to lose interest and stop watching.

Shoot lots of short clips. Even capture some of the intermission. But don't edit the results. Ever.

In my limited time following political forums, I have captured plants, forum question rigging, and
    one councilor who excused himself from the debate because he wasn't at the first meeting. Then sat
    in the crowd and gave the (slash across the throat) cut them off signal to the moderator.

Locally there was a large development that didn't take place because the town and county rubes got greedy
    Insider property dealings, sex and sleaze are at the local level.

When you know part of the story the local dirty politics become more interesting. Share local video
    knowledge with your community and you will be doing your good deed.

• Big deal

@SpectateSwamp said:

I have captured plants
    Pfft ... They don't even move. Specially if they're still rooted.

• @Zecc said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    I have captured plants

They were most probably alien invaders who just pretended to do photosynthesis.

• @Zecc said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

I have captured plants

Are you willing to bet the fate of the world on that?

• Swampie is back!  Hooray!  This made my day.  Funny thing, I mentioned SSDS in the Bad Code Offsets article comments before I knew of or even suspected the existence of this thread.

Spectate Swamp, what do you think of Bad Code Offsets, and would you purchase any in order to make up for the deficiencies of SSDS?

• @Eternal Density said:

Hallowed is Half-Life 2

Yea, but that Episode 3 one is taking its sweet time. >:(

VALVE: "yea we wanted to deliver early, but then someone casually mentioned hey let's rewrite Havok! Again! and we all said okay sure."

If only Valve's ejaculate didn't taste like unicorns, rainbows, the cosmic essence, and god. I just ravenously lap up their stuff every time and forgive the neglect. :|

• @Eternal Density said:

Spectate Swamp, what do you think of Bad Code Offsets, and would you purchase any in order to make up for the deficiencies of SSDS?

How many SLOC does SSDS consist of again? Wouldn't that be quite an investment?

• @derula said:

@Eternal Density said:

How many SLOC does SSDS consist of again?

10k, give or take.

• @bstorer said:

@derula said:
    @Eternal Density said:
    How many SLOC does SSDS consist of again?
    10k, give or take.

HOLY SHIT THAT'S OVER NINE THOU-

• Bad code that shares knowledge like this is good code

@derula said:

@Eternal Density said:
    How many SLOC does SSDS consist of again? Wouldn't that be quite an investment?

10,000+ lines of code in 1 powerful program. Add a noodle or 2 and jam it. Change it easily to suit your needs. Obviously few of you are using SSDS to organize yourselves. Otherwise you would be saying: "you know SS is right, we do have better control over our data than anybody on the planet"

Any program that works can easily be cleaned up. Fix a bit and jam it. Repeat till done.

It's easy to share digital info when you have it by the throat. SSDS does that for us. Or is it the Medicine Stones?

Tomorrow I'll share 1 more unrelated bit of knowledge that is quite timely.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Obviously few none of you are using SSDS to organize yourselves.

FTFY.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Any program that works can easily be cleaned up. Fix a bit and jam it. Repeat till done.

Pederson Algorithm for easy code cleanup (in pseudo code):

repeat
    fix_a_bit();
    jam_it();
    until done();

@SpectateSwamp said:

It's easy to share digital info when you have it by the throat. SSDS does that for us.

Does exactly what? SSDS can display random lines from a text file, or a random passage of a random video.

Ah, I know now how it works:

SpectateSwamp: Hey dumb dumb coworker, there's this timely noodle I wanted to share with you. Dumb dumb coworker: Oh please, go away. SpectateSwamp (while jamming his USB stick into DDC's USB slot): No, it's really great, see... [starts SSDS and enters some weird combinations of letters, screen shows a scene from a local political debate where one of the spokesmen is blowing his nose] no, that's not it... [SpectateSwamp types another curious string, and the screen scrolls "THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE YOU RETARD" in giant red letters. The coworker smirks] oh, no, that's from tdwtf.txt... *snip 2 hours* Dumb dumb coworker: *snore* SpectateSwamp: Ah there, I got it! [The screen shows a screen capture of a video editing software in which a video taped screen is shown that shows a YouTube video (uploaded by SpectateSwamp) which shows a tobacco leaf] Look there, an UFO! Do you see it? Awww, it passed. You missed it. ... DDC? ... DDC, are you with me? Dumb dumb coworker falls from chair.

• Sharing Alien Knowledge next

@derula said:

repeat fix_a_bit(); jam_it(); until done(); @SpectateSwamp said:
    It's easy to share digital info when you have it by the throat. SSDS does that for us.
    Does exactly what? SSDS can display random lines from a text file, or a random passage of a random video.

Derula Derula DerulaSwamp what's the problem. How come you are so edgy? I'm mentaly giving you a big squeeze right now.

What I was going to share today is my latest Alien video. I shot 11 clips on Nov 11 this past. On the first 30 second clip there was a shiny object right at the end of the video. Less than a second. I finally got around to checking the rest of the videos and didn't see any other activity. Today I played back that second of HD video 1 frame at a time and saved that frame to a jpg file. There were 26 in all. When zoomed in to the max there are 2 shiny objects the smaller of the 2 is leading at such a short distance that they could be joined? I'll post those 26 pics temporarily somewhere and give you the URL. Now that is sharing. First you find or do something of value. And push it on a bunch of unsuspectings like at this forum.  

Maybe that is why Derula is so nasty. Derula is an Alien and doesn't want me sharing my vast vast alien hunting capabilities with you. That's got to be it.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@derula said:

repeat fix_a_bit(); jam_it(); until done(); @SpectateSwamp said:

Derula Derula DerulaSwamp what's the problem. How come you are so edgy? I'm mentaly giving you a big squeeze right now.

What I was going to share today is my latest Alien video. I shot 11 clips on Nov 11 this past. On the first 30 second clip there was a shiny object right at the end of the video. Less than a second. I finally got around to checking the rest of the videos and didn't see any other activity. Today I played back that second of HD video 1 frame at a time and saved that frame to a jpg file. There were 26 in all. When zoomed in to the max there are 2 shiny objects the smaller of the 2 is leading at such a short distance that they could be joined? I'll post those 26 pics temporarily somewhere and give you the URL. Now that is sharing. First you find or do something of value. And push it on a bunch of unsuspectings like at this forum.  

Maybe that is why Derula is so nasty. Derula is an Alien and doesn't want me sharing my vast vast alien hunting capabilities with you. That's got to be it.

is anyone else creeped out by this post?

• @DescentJS said:

I'm laughing too hard to be creeped out. Swampy it helps if you move the lens cap well away from the video cam imo. They're nice and shiny.

• @DescentJS said:

What creeps me out the most is that he stopped inserting manual line breaks.

Also, I made myself a little GreaseMonkey script to balance the tag cloud. It will randomly select 5 of the existing tags to use them in a new post. Brillant, isn't it?

• Knowledge can be misspelled

@derula said:

@DescentJS said:
    What creeps me out the most is that he stopped inserting manual line breaks.

Also, I made myself a little GreaseMonkey script to balance the tag cloud. It will randomly select 5 of the existing tags to use them in a new post. Brillant, isn't it?

Manual line breaks are comming back. You have me so creeped out with spelling and grammer that I use notepad to put down my thoughts and then run a spell checker against it. I don't know why I'm doing all that crap. I think I'll start misspelling a lot lot more. Just to get even. DejulaSwamp

Excessive spell checking and grammer concerns slow knowledge transfer.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Manual line breaks are comming back. You have me so creeped out with spelling and grammer that I use notepad to put down my thoughts and then run a spell checker against it. I don't know why I'm doing all that crap.

Awww, now I'm feeling special.

• Knowledge should be current

@derula said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    Manual line breaks are comming back. You have me so creeped out with spelling and grammer that I use notepad to put down my thoughts and then run a spell checker against it. I don't know why I'm doing all that crap.
    Awww, now I'm feeling special.

Yes You are special and pretty funny at that.

What good are the search results for "Best desktop search engine" from 2005 (worse than useless) But with the net, if you dig down far enough you can find current knowledge.

When you find interesting or extremely funny knowledge; do a screen capture like SS. That website won't be around forever but your *jpg will be.

Same with video. Grab a copy. Same with work info. copy it all. Because disk space will remain forever empty.

Start sharing your knowledge with yourself. Like the rest of the Swampies

• Knowledge should capture you

Here is one of the first pictures of the shiny object. I upload them with a temporary setting. so they will be gone in a month. Take copies if that interests you.

http://www.archive.org/details/BrightShinyObjectAtEndOfVideoClip

I heard a story about a recent weird lake sighting and possible bigfoot signs. With luck maybe I can share some of that knowledge with you later.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

So, you is saying we all can mispell every thing in order to maek nowledge transfer more fastly? 

• Knowledge isn't overbearing

@Renan_S2 said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

So, you is saying we all can mispell every thing in order to maek nowledge transfer more fastly? 

Now you got it. You are making the poor spellers in the crowd more comfortable. Good going Swampie

• @SpectateSwamp said:

You are special

Oh the irony.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

10,000+ lines of code in 1 powerful program.
    Lots of poor quality code resulting in a piece of software only you can understand or use and even you get it wrong from time to time....

@SpectateSwamp said:

Add a noodle or 2 and jam it. Change it easily to suit your needs.
    you are just talking bollocks here and mean even less than usual. @SpectateSwamp said:
    Obviously few of you are using SSDS to organize yourselves. Otherwise you would be saying: "you know SS is right, we do have better control over our data than anybody on the planet"
    Nobody other than you is using it, nobody else wants to and it certainly doesn't give me control over my data as I need to change my data formats to one SSDS uses and manually index any information anyway.@SpectateSwamp said:
    Any program that works can easily be cleaned up. Fix a bit and jam it. Repeat till done
    your code is so badly written it won't even compile on anything newer than VB5 - how on earth does that make it easy to clean up. Even you can no longer maintain it and keep expecting other people to do so for you.

@SpectateSwamp said:

When you find interesting or extremely funny knowledge; do a screen capture like SS. That website won't be around forever but your *jpg will be.
    Why not just save the page? Easier than taking a series of screen shots that prevent you searching on the textual content.

@SpectateSwamp said:

So doing things in an established way that everyone understands makes sharing harder? If I constantly spell words in different ways then how would a search tool know what to actually search for anyway?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Here is one of the first pictures of the shiny object. I upload them with a temporary setting. so they will be gone in a month. Take copies if that interests you.

That is a droplet of water on your lense.

Look at how it is focused - your lense is set to infinity to photograph those clouds, ruling out your proposal that that object is a long way away.

It is also shaped like a lense-water-droplet.

•  @davidrhoskin said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

That is a droplet of water on your lense.

Look at how it is focused - your lense is set to infinity to photograph those clouds, ruling out your proposal that that object is a long way away.

It is also shaped like a lense-water-droplet.

You're new here, perhaps you haven't figured out how logic means nothing.

• Take on H1N1 without vaccinations - Flu Knowledge shared

Pick a date for the fight. The weekend is best.

Get prepared. with lots of rest. Have all your top flu fighters available
    colloidal silver, hot toddies, sambucol, vitamins, juices, couch and blankie etc.

Start psyching yourself up for taking on this tuff flu. Don't let that tiny bug keep you inside and afraid
    of visiting your friends. Hammer those little critters good.

This flu tends to cause a lot of coughing. To the point the stomach hurts. Practice coughing to buff up
    those areas the flu attacks. Marijuana smokers can skip this step.

Go looking for H1N1. A day or two before the weekend, like wednesday or thursday.  Go visit old folks
    homes, malls. When you hear a cough move that way and interact with the individual. Flu victims
    will tell you people tend to scurry away at the first sign of a hacker / cougher. Give them some of
    your flu fighting remedies. After a day or two of this, You will be infected. So start acting like it.
    Go to bed early and continue drinking lots of fluids. Beer is fine too. Lay on the couch watching
    football and doing next to nothing but napping and fighting.

I did the above (took a H1N1 victim to and from the hospital) and had the chills friday night and was a
    little off my food and at about 80% on Saturday. That was it. A friend that had the vaccination had a worse
    reaction than that. He was quite worried when he got faint and sick.

If you use these instructions and die. I'll deny everything. Geeze I'm the stupidest man on Earth.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

If you use these instructions and die. I'll deny everything. Geeze I'm the stupidest man on Earth.

Hey, for once he's making sense.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I'm the stupidest man on Earth.

QFT.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

colloidal silver

God I love this job

• 🚽 Regular

So your solution to saving yourself from H1N1 is practicing coughing then contracting the flu on purpose while smoking a joint and then drink some beer.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Practice coughing
    What?

• Take on H1N1 without vaccinations - Flu Knowledge shared

@RHuckster said:

So your solution to saving yourself from H1N1 is practicing coughing then contracting the flu on purpose while smoking a joint and then drink some beer.

Pretty much. And don't wash your hands when you are trying to catch the flu.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

10,000+ lines of code in 1 powerful program. Add a noodle or 2 and jam it.

Open your front door about 5 inches wide, put in your noodle and jam it! The pain you'll be feeling after that does not even come close to the pain we're feeling when looking at the SSDS source code.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Change it easily to suit your needs.

Or just use one of the many alternatives out there that actually work.

But we've been here before. I'll just lean back and enjoy the conversation.

• Sharing fun knowledge

School isn't fun when you get the old "remember this or your ass is toast" from the Schoolmarms.

Recess made schooling more bearable. Exams sure didn't make knowledge sharing pleasant. (Unless you were
    the teachers pet and sooo smarrrt).  There are always exceptions, a couple of my teachers were ok.
    There might be fun schools too.

We always had great distractions and pets outdoors. There were plenty of fun spots and games outside.
    Kick the can, British buldog, anti-i-over, rock fights...The old mill, the slough and backwaters.
    All were great fun until somebody got hurt or caught. TV and computers changed all that.

The recent media coverage about spelling bees, sure makes me sick. Champions Bla bla bla.
    soooo smaaaart.. Come on kids and adults. Get outside have some fun.

What the hell. Here I'm preaching outside and fun to a bunch of pale underexposed bookworms,
    whose friends can't come play. You poor poor shutins.

But don't worry SSDS and random makes sharing fun knowledge exciting.

Check out the old mill

http://www.archive.org/details/TheOldMillWhitecourt

• Everyone is probably going to shoot me for responding seriously, but here goes.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Recess made schooling more bearable.
    It also gets kids outside, fresh air, exercise and all that.@SpectateSwamp said:
    Exams sure didn't make knowledge sharing pleasant.
    That is not their purpose.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Kick the can, British buldog, anti-i-over, rock fights...The old mill, the slough and backwaters.

You really did grow up in a backwater one horse stoplight town didn't you?@SpectateSwamp said:
    All were great fun until somebody got hurt or caught. TV and computers changed all that.
    It changed many things.  Mainly, it allows us to laugh at you.

@SpectateSwamp said:

The recent media coverage about spelling bees, sure makes me sick.
    So don't watch it. @SpectateSwamp said:
    What the hell. Here I'm preaching outside and fun to a bunch of pale underexposed bookworms, whose friends can't come play. You poor poor shutins.
    I spent all weekend in the woods of Michigan.  Who's the shutin again?@SpectateSwamp said:

Check out the old mill

http://www.archive.org/details/TheOldMillWhitecourt

This is where you played as a child?  How many friends did you lose to "accidents" that could have been prevented through proper gene pool cleansing?

• Brave brave sir belgariontheswamp shares woods knowledge? maybe

@belgariontheking said:

I spent all weekend in the woods of Michigan.  Who's the shutin again?

Now there is something worth sharing. Did you get any video while in the woods?

good sharing belgariontheswamp

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@belgariontheking said:
    I spent all weekend in the woods of Michigan.  Who's the shutin again?
    Now there is something worth sharing. Did you get any video while in the woods?
    No.  I've found that filming my crimes is a good way to get caught.  Then again, so is telling everyone on the internet.  All of you be quiet.  This knowledge is in my hoard and not for sharing. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I'm imagining this as two groups of kids hurling rocks at one another until all of one team is downed.  Assuming Ol' Swampy was often on the losing team, this would explain so, so much.

• Sharing Spaghetti code Knowledge

@tdittmar said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    10,000+ lines of code in 1 powerful program. Add a noodle or 2 and jam it.
    Open your front door about 5 inches wide, put in your noodle and jam it! The pain you'll be feeling after that does not even come close to the pain we're feeling when looking at the SSDS source code. @SpectateSwamp said:
    Change it easily to suit your needs.
    Or just use one of the many alternatives out there that actually work. But we've been here before. I'll just lean back and enjoy the conversation.

That bad code does a lot and is very extensible!

A noodle here and there and You could have SSDS playing video backwards. Just do it Swampies
    Great code can change. This code can change. You have only seen a fraction of its capabilities.

I can easily share the "old mill" pics because I'm in control. Not microsoft or some indexer app.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

A noodle here and there and You could have SSDS playing video backwards.

Wow! Really? I always wanted to do that!

@SpectateSwamp said:

I can easily share the "old mill" pics because I'm in control. Not microsoft or some indexer app.

Well I could similarly share pictures from certain episodes of my life. Without any Microsoft, or indexer, or SSDS. It's called a file system.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Recess made schooling more bearable. Exams sure didn't make knowledge sharing pleasant. (Unless you were
    the teachers pet and sooo smarrrt).  There are always exceptions, a couple of my teachers were ok.
    There might be fun schools too.

The recent media coverage about spelling bees, sure makes me sick. Champions Bla bla bla.
    soooo smaaaart.. Come on kids and adults. Get outside have some fun.

Looks like someone still feels insecure about high school.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

A noodle here and there and You could have SSDS playing video backwards.

Or I could just open up my video editing tool, push the "reverse" button and play my video backwards - even with backwards sound. Not that I'd ever felt the need to do so, really. That would take me, hmmm, 30 seconds? How long would it take me to "improve" SSDS?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Just do it Swampies

So you're still having the strange illusion of there being other "Swampies"?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Great code can change. This code should have been dumped a long time ago. You have only seen a fraction of its capabilities, because the "software" sucked so much that you didn't want to see anymore.

FTFY.