Nobody shares knowledge better than this

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I looked up "brown" in the family album and found 5 pics.
     @SpectateSwamp said:

The late 60's was the best of times. No major disease and far fewer rules.

Wait, did he just admit to having jungle fever?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

My kids would be old tards by now.

FTFY.

• Renan_S2 can't touch Swamp Search

@Renan_S2 said:

It's easy to do, and it's better when done with proper apps, like desktop search (Google Desktop, Beagle, etc...), photo managers (Adobe Lightroom, iPhoto, digiKam, F-Spot are the ones I can recall right now). Or even with grep, as I have done in the past.

Swamp search is even better than cloud computing. With just a simple USB drive and SS you can take all your data with you. Favorite URL's, pictures, notes, videos, emails.. everything. Most of the above apps can't move as easily from computer to computer. But good going. By staying on top of the mountains of knowledge as you have.  You can share almost as good as Me.  

When I need something I don't need to think about which app I'll use. Just SS and jam it.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

The late 60's was the best of times

This is your brain. This is your brain on Spectate Swamp.

•  @SpectateSwamp said:

Swamp search is even better than cloud computing.

I don't like cloud computing, and I don't like Swamp search either. At least cloud computing is useful, unlike your app.

With just a simple USB drive and SS you can take all your data with you.

Why would I want to, if I already have a laptop with all my data?

@SpectateSwamp said:

When I need something I don't need to think about which app I'll use. Just SS and jam it.

I'd rather think about the app I'll use, but use a good app that actually does its job. Instead of not thinking at all and just using your user-hostile 'SSDS'. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Just SS and jam it.
    Jamming it without sticking a noodle in there first?!  That sounds dangerous.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

If I recall correctly, Jam it is your euphemism for compiling.  So you're advocating recompiling every time you want your DATA.  I like that.

• @belgariontheking said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

If I recall correctly, Jam it is your euphemism for compiling.  So you're advocating recompiling every time you want your DATA.  I like that.

Oh it's great!  Also, every time you add a new file to the data store you simply add the file name to the end of the myFiles array, recompile the entire codebase and data retrieval has reached awsomeness without having to use that bullshit 'indexing' mumbo jumbo.  All you have to do is change the search string (mySearchString) to match the file you are looking for, recompile the entire codebase WHAM as so as you fire up the app (a mere 48 seconds) your file is ready for use.

If I recall correctly, Jam it is your euphemism for compiling.

He never said that, I think. This theory was brought up by some of us.

• @derula said:

@belgariontheking said:

Right, it seems to be a generic phrase for "do it".  He often used it in reference to adding your own lines to SSDS (i.e. "adding a noodle"), but it doesn't necessarily mean compilation.  However, I agree wholeheartedly with pstorer that jamming it should always be preceeded by the adding of at least one noodle, no matter the context.

@SpectateSwamp said:

You do not have to recompile the code. You have to recompile the giant file with all of your data in plaintext. Just jam it to that file.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@derula said:

@belgariontheking said:

Right, it seems to be a generic phrase for "do it".  He often used it in reference to adding your own lines to SSDS (i.e. "adding a noodle"), but it doesn't necessarily mean compilation.  However, I agree wholeheartedly with pstorer that jamming it should always be preceeded by the adding of at least one noodle, no matter the context.

This is why:

http://www.thestupidestmanonearth.com

Needs a glossary. Who wants to jam it and add a noodle?

• @msntfs said:

@belgariontheking said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

You do not have to recompile the code. You have to recompile the giant file with all of your data in plaintext. Just jam it to that file.

You probably cannot recompile the code - The method advocated by SpectateSwamp seems to involve downloading the code, editing it (having to recreate the form and project yourself everytime as per his video) and then emailing it to a fellow Swampy and have them recompile the code and email you the .exe back due to the requirement that it only compiles in VB5. The only thing that prevents your spam filter / AV from instantly deleting the .exe is the fact the fictitious swampies he refers to probably don't have an email address due to the fact the are not real.

• @spenk said:

The only thing that prevents your spam filter / AV from instantly deleting the .exe is the fact the fictitious swampies he refers to probably don't have an email address due to the fact the are not real.
    But if they were real, they could put it on a USB to use in the library.

• @bstorer said:

@spenk said:

The only thing that prevents your spam filter / AV from instantly deleting the .exe is the fact the fictitious swampies he refers to probably don't have an email address due to the fact the are not real.

Since when do we give mental ward patients access to a USB?  They could cut themselves on it or trade it for methadone.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:

@spenk said:

Since when do we give mental ward patients access to a USB?

Oh, about twenty minutes after they started letting them post to TDWTF about the terrible applications they've created, give or take.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:

@spenk said:

Since when do we give mental ward patients access to a USB?  They could cut themselves on it or trade it for methadone.

Well all the DVDs have been given to the homeless remember.

• USB demos are cool

@Renan_S2 said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Swamp search is even better than cloud computing.

I don't like cloud computing, and I don't like Swamp search either. At least cloud computing is useful, unlike your app.

With just a simple USB drive and SS you can take all your data with you.

Why would I want to, if I already have a laptop with all my data?. 

When collecting important knowledge and stealth is required. USB drives are way more sneaky.

Having the USB set to autorun demoing data in your hoard is a great way to show and share your knowledge with dumb dumb co-workers.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

When collecting important knowledge and stealth is required.

My grammar parser just went on strike.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Having the USB set to autorun demoing data in your hoard is a great way to show and share your knowledge with dumb dumb co-workers.

I disable USB autorun on all my machines... Too many viruses on USB drives already.

And I feel so sorry for you if you have dumb dumb coworkers ... Sure, my coworkers might not shine, but they DO know how to use a computer. And they are NOT willing to learn your magic app, nor to JAM IT!.

• @Renan_S2 said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
     I disable USB autorun on all my machines... Too many viruses on USB drives already.

Yeah, but then you're none of Spectate's dumb dumb coworkers. Edit: Remember, when Spectate says "you", he's basically talking about himself.

• @Renan_S2 said:

And I feel so sorry for you if you have dumb dumb coworkers ...

Don't feel sorry for him, his dumb dumb coworkers are a pair of magical rocks.

• @amischiefr said:

@Renan_S2 said:

This one is called dumb, and that one is also dumb.

•  Hey Swamp, I just noticed that Microsoft has infringed upon your registered trademark of SSDS (you did register it right!) with their SQL Server Data Services (SSDS) for cloud computing.  Fire up the lawsuit in the name of sharing data!

• @SpectateSwamp said:

When collecting important knowledge and stealth is required. USB drives are way more sneaky.

Are we talkin about data collecting ninjas or something? USB enabled ninjas perhaps? I have no idea how a USB device is supposed to be sneaky though.

Who on earth still has autorun enabled anyway? What is the sudden fascination with the word 'hoard' anyway as that seems to be the exact opposite of sharing and / or showing.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@amischiefr said:

@Renan_S2 said:
    With holes. Don't forget the holes.

• You're the #1 reason for sharing

The primary reason for your hoards existance is you. You want the info so you keep it.

Having good access to your knowledge makes it easier for you to share the info with yourself
    When you peruse your stash, your memory of those events is enhanced. By doing a few screen
    captures of these WTF screens and adding some notes I'll be able to look back a year or two
    from now and reminisce. In the future; people I have shared my digital treasures will say:
    Look at all Spectates friends, chatting and chatting with him as they learn how to share knowledge.

• Near death sharing

What about sharing at or near death? As we all know; everybody likes to share and tell secrets.
    Some of which should only be told after death. Have those notes encrypted and tagged to the end
    of a very large text file. (most other search engines won't index data at the end of big files)

When you are feeling poorly and think you may be slipping away, email out those family secrets.

Our family knows nothing about my Grandpa's past. He came from eastern Canada. I wish he could
    have left some notes.

•  @SpectateSwamp said:

Have those notes encrypted and tagged to the end  of a very large text file.

No, have them encrypted on separate text files (in fact, this is my approach for quick-and-dirty note taking: vim + grep).

It makes no sense to just throw everything on a very large file.

• @Renan_S2 said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

No, have them encrypted on separate text files (in fact, this is my approach for quick-and-dirty note taking: vim + grep).

This thread reminds me of grade school when all of the kids would chase down the one "special" kid in class, tie him up with a jump rope, beat him with sticks, maybe sodomize him with a baseball bat, pee in his hair and leave him on the playground for the teachers to find later.

• @morbiuswilters said:

This thread reminds me of grade school when all of the kids would chase down the one "special" kid in class, tie him up with a jump rope, beat him with sticks, maybe sodomize him with a baseball bat, pee in his hair and leave him on the playground for the teachers to find later.

This is the "special" kids' revenge.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Renan_S2 said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Oh, man, those were the days.  That reminds me, can I have my baseball bat back?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

When you peruse your stash, your memory of those events is enhanced. By doing a few screen
    captures of these WTF screens and adding some notes I'll be able to look back a year or two
    from now and reminisce.
    Look out everyone!  He's decided that he's better at word wrapping than the natural wrap that exists on this page again!

Also, I don't need to reminisce.  I have exciting things happening to me continually enough that I don't need to reminisce about an exchange that happened on the internet.

I have exciting things happening to me continually enough...

Finally discovered your genitals, eh?  Twenty-six makes you a bit of a "late bloomer", but the next couple of years are gonna be busy as you make up for lost time.

Finally discovered your genitals, eh? Twenty-six makes you a bit of a "late bloomer", but the next couple of years are gonna be busy as you make up for lost time.

He's enjoying 'perusing his stash'.

• @amischiefr said:

Hey Swamp, I just noticed that Microsoft has infringed upon your registered trademark of SSDS (you did register it right!) with their SQL Server Data Services (SSDS) for cloud computing.  Fire up the lawsuit in the name of sharing data!

They already changed the name to SQL Azure so I think he already started stalking them.

• Sharing isn't perfect

Don't let the Schoolmarm types and their rules scare you away from sharing.

No your grammer doesn't have to be correct. A few spelling errors matter little.
    The perfect perfects of the World would have us all using personal editors or not
    sharing at all. Don't share your video. Don't share your opinion.

Boo Schoolmarms.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@belgariontheking said:

Finally discovered your genitals, eh?  Twenty-six makes you a bit of a "late bloomer", but the next couple of years are gonna be busy as you make up for lost time.

Don't be stupid; he's been busy with his genitals for years.  What he just discovered is that, apparently, in some remote corners of the internet, you can find vivid descriptions of ladies in compromising positions, such as with little to no covering over their ankles.

• So when we get the  Firefox Swamp search browser extension?

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@belgariontheking said:

Don't be stupid; he's been busy with his genitals for years.  What he just discovered is that, apparently, in some remote corners of the internet, you can find vivid descriptions of ladies in compromising positions, such as with little to no covering over their ankles.

Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww! I just sneezed and had to wipe the yellow slime off my hand! You guys just had to elaborate the subject  ... talk about compulsive behaviour.

• Sharing political knowledge

Keep an eye on your politicians. Video council meetings and put that up on the web. Always remove
    last month's clips when the current videos are uploaded.

For the most part the politicians don't like sharing video. So you know they are up to something.

They will try and prevent you from sharing these open meetings. Don't let them stop you.

Be brave share your local politics. Share your ...

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Keep an eye on your politicians. Video council meetings and put that up on the web. Always remove last month's clips when the current videos are uploaded.

Isn't removing the last month's clips the opposite of sharing? If you're trying to share as much as possible, shouldn't you leave every clip online for as long as possible until the end of time when no one is left to jam any noodles?

• @Welbog said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Keep an eye on your politicians. Video council meetings and put that up on the web. Always remove last month's clips when the current videos are uploaded.

Isn't removing the last month's clips the opposite of sharing? If you're trying to share as much as possible, shouldn't you leave every clip online for as long as possible until the end of time when no one is left to jam any noodles?

If you keep the old clips online for too long, the Langoliers will eat your data and then you won't be able to share it with anyone.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Keep an eye on your politicians. Video council meetings and put that up on the web. Always remove
    last month's clips when the current videos are uploaded.

For the most part the politicians don't like sharing video. So you know they are up to something.

They will try and prevent you from sharing these open meetings. Don't let them stop you.

Candlejack strikes aga

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

Spectate apparently got distracted by a shiny object (likely a UFO) in midsentence and just couldn't complete his thought. Either that, or he's alluding to sharing something with the public which would get most people arrested and charged with indecency.

• For the most part the politicians don't like sharing video. So you know they are up to something.

You really havent kept up with the whole Obama Youtube thing have you. Or the knockon trend it has had on politics and 'open government' overseas.

• @Nyquist said:

You really havent kept up with the whole Obama Youtube thing have you. Or the knockon trend it has had on politics and 'open government' overseas.

To be fair, Ol' Swampy lives in Canada, which is neither the land of Obama or overseas.

• Sharing is unedited

@Nyquist said:

Politicians still plant lots of questions. It's easy to spot and record the stooges. If they really wanted open government. There would be an open link from the oval office to the net for at least half of the day. Everybody would be watching. If I were Mayor; all discussions would be videoed and posted on the web. Any special favours would be for all to see. It won't happen.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

If I were Mayor
    @SpectateSwamp said:
    It won't happen.

Thank God for little miracles.

• @bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    If I were Mayor
    @SpectateSwamp said:
    It won't happen.
    Thank God for little miracles.
    I find it funny and a little aggravating when people who don't believe in God (and don't even come close to believing in God) say this.  At least you could say "Thank Dog" or something, since SS's dog probably had more to do with this "miracle" than this mystical being that you don't even believe exists.

Furthermore, I would emphasize capitalizing Dog the same way I would capitalize God.  Obviously you hold Dog in reverence as he's kept SS out of office for so long.

Or you could thank the God of Fuck, or just Fuck to his Friends.  The possibilities are limitless.  Just don't thank something you don't believe in.

Yours truly, btk.