Nobody shares knowledge better than this

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Just how many lines of code are in your system 2 million, 50 million. Not a big deal for the very powerful SSDS
    You fixed that bug where SSDS freezes when looking at the Linux kernel's source code?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Merge a second large source file and do a differences between the two.

My brain just exploded...

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Just a slight modification of the merge option.
    As this is one of the biggest issues people have and you are claiming it is a slight modification then why don't you make the change and impress us?

@SpectateSwamp said:

There sure is a lot of whining about having to merge the files. Really you don't have to do the merge all that many times.
    But why should I be forced to merge in the first place? Currently if I need to search my source code I can do it directly from Visual Studio if the solution is open or directly from explorer to search multiple folders / drives (including usb) - why should I be forced to merge all files? Why?

@SpectateSwamp said:

The big merge file would even be handy if you were on holidays and wanted to see what changes were made to the source when you were gone. Merge a second large source file and do a differences between the two.
    Is this somehow better than my current way (I use subversion and TortoiseSVN) which is to right click on the folder and select "SVN Show Log". This will give me all the checkins that have occurred and allow me to compare individual files going back multiple versions if required.

Can SSRR provide me with a list of differences and which of the original files contain them?

If you are refering to local changes rather than changes to the repository then I could simply right click and choose "Check for modifications" or just look at the file icons in explorer to see which have the "changed file icon".

Either way works wonderfully and is very simple to do and neither requires me to constantly merge all my files together.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Just how many lines of code are in your system 2 million, 50 million. Not a big deal for the very powerful SSDS
    Apart from the fact SSRR has been shown to fail attempting to merge the linux source, shown to fail if people are using files with a .c or a .h extension, shown to fail if the file has no extension (e.g. makefile), shown to fail if the file is saved as unicode and even when it does manage to merge the results are meaningless any way as they only find the text (up to 6 terms, no boolean logic) in the merged file and doesn't help me locate the original file anyway.

• @spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    Just a slight modification of the merge option.
    As this is one of the biggest issues people have and you are claiming it is a slight modification then why don't you make the change and impress us?

Well, given that he has refused to upload his source code to sourceforge, and has been perfectly happy with using an outdated version of VisualBasic, I highly doubt he actually cares that anyone else finds his code useful.  Quite honestly, this forum is probably just a one-man echo chamber to him.

Doesn't sound like he really cares about sharing all sorts of information and data. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I have a very long list of much more important enhancements.

This one?

- Random Cutout from Random Picture Display
    - Profit!

@SpectateSwamp said:

The big merge file would even be handy if you were on holidays and wanted to see what changes were made to the source when you were gone. Merge a second large source file and do a differences between the two.

You know, in our world, there exist better tools to do the job more nicely without having to merge anything.

• @WeatherGod said:

Well, given that he has refused to upload his source code to sourceforge

Not refused, he simply wasn't able to because SourceForge is too complicated. It should be run with SSRR, obviously.

@WeatherGod said:

and has been perfectly happy with using an outdated version of VisualBasic

It's not outdated, it's ol' faithful. At least it still compiles the Best Program In The World, newer VBs don't.

@WeatherGod said:

I highly doubt he actually cares that anyone else finds his code useful.

No, but that doesn't stop him from expecting us to improve it for him. Also, he wants the poor sobs to see the light that is SSRR.

@WeatherGod said:

Doesn't sound like he really cares about sharing all sorts of information and data.

I think he does, just that his idea of sharing differs greatly from ours. Almost contrarily. "Sharing" means "having things his way".

• Non-Technical by choice

SSDS is meant for those who don't want to spend their life learning the endless software products. Just a few hours and they leapfrog the Gurus. A lifetime can be spent looking for better and the very best. All when it is right in front of you. SSDS... The greatest data / knowledge sharing tool ever.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

SSDS is meant for those who don't want to spend their life learning the endless software products. Just a few hours and they leapfrog the Gurus. A lifetime can be spent looking for better and the very best. All when it is right in front of you. SSDS... The greatest data / knowledge sharing tool ever.

If it is so easy then explain how a user can do various simple, likely to want tasks and compare them to how those same tasks could be done using the OS itself. To get you started I will provide a list of things I personally do regarding searching, photo viewing and mp3 play back. I will provide full steps from start to finish and different methods if more than one exist.

I would like you to give me the exact steps required with SSRR to achieve the same results, these steps need to be detailed enough for any user to follow.

Scenario One - Find a file containing a text string regardless of the file type (txt, doc, xls, ppt, pdf, xps, onenote etc.)

1. Open explorer
    2. Type the string into the text box that is on the top right of the explorer window.
    3. Results are now in explorer window.

Scenario Two - find music (by title, artist, album, composer etc)

Explorer based solution

1. Open explorer.
    2. Type the artist, album etc. into the text box that is on the top right of the explorer window.
    3. Results are now in explorer window. Results can be played by right clicking and selecting "play"
    WMP Solution
    1. Open Wmp
    2. Type the artist, album etc. into the text box that is on the top right of the WMP window.
    3. Results are now in WMP. Results can be played by selecting the "play" button.
    In either case the results can be played in a random order by selecting "Shuffle".

Scenario Three - Search for images and display as a random slide show.

1. Open explorer.
    2. Type the image name, date taken, keywords etc into the text box that is on the top right of the explorer window.
    3. Results are now in the explorer window and the slideshow can be started by clicking the "Slideshow" button.

Scenario Four - Find just about anything in fact, including emails, documents, images, mp3s, flac etc.

1. Click Start
    2. Type relevant words (keywords, content, filename etc) into the textbox immediately above the start button.
    3. Likely results displayed on start menu, click  "See more results" for full results.

Notice (as a simple list) things that my steps do not require a user @SpectateSwamp said:
    to spend their life learning the endless software products

• No need to understand SSRR's cryptic and undocumented syntax
    • No need to merge files or understand what merging means
    • No need to maintain indexes by hand
    • No need to limit the users documents to text or require the user to maintain two copies of all documents.
    • No need to read the source to understand the available options.
    • No need to be confused by the alleged results.
    • No need to look at results and then find the original file by hand anyway.

So could you explain each of the above scenarios from a SSRR users point of view? This must include all steps including building and maintaining indexes by hand, the above ones do not need that step as the OS will do this automatically.

For Scenario One please show the steps required if the string in question could be found in at least two different file types (say txt and doc).

Given how wonderful you claim SSRR is I would imagine the above steps are trivial for you to explain and prove your way is easier.

• @spenk said:

[complicated process]

Duh, only the geeks of the geeks understand that. With SSDS, you just hit enter enter enter and then jam it! Can't be easier than that. What are you saying now SpenkSwamp. SSDS is easy oh so very easy. Because of defaults. Windows doesn't have defaults, therefore it's slower. It's that simple. Duh.

• 🚽 Regular

@derula said:

@spenk said:
    [complicated process]

Duh, only the [b]yippie yappie[/b] geeks of the geeks understand that. With SSDS, you just hit enter [b]E[/b]nter enter and then jam it! Can't be easier than that. What are you saying now SpenkSwamp. SSDS is easy oh so very easy. Because of de[b]F[/b]aults. Windows doesn't have de[b]-F[/b]aults, therefore it's slower. It's that simple. [b]Boondoggle[/b]. [b]Oh how I love this app.[/b]

FTFY

• Where can I find SSDS for download.  It's GOT to be better than Oracle.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

See, this is your issue.  I was there when you explained SSDS originally, and it didn't make sense then, nor does it make sense now.  With google desktop search, you just install it.  It [b]automatically[/b] indexes [b]all[/b] my files.  Then, I go to a little white text box and enter a few words and I find my files.

For your SSDS (or is it now SSRR?), I have to run it from visual basic (not even a stand-alone executable?), do a whole bunch of work and merge files myself and rename a whole bunch of movies, images and music to fit [b]your[/b] your program.  And then, if that isn't enough, I have to do use some arcane incantations, along with noodling around with code, jamming around with a bunch of magic stones, and I might find some of my files I was looking for?

• @Medezark said:

Where can I find SSDS for download.  It's GOT to be better than Oracle.

No, what is sad is that Oracle is easier to install than SSDS.  Even worse is that an Oracle database is easier to maintain and optimize than this crap.

• @WeatherGod said:

(or is it now SSRR?)

I think that was SpenkSwamp's idea. It stands for Spectate Swamp Random Random, and describes the functionality a lot more precise than Spectate Swamp Desktop Search. That's why I've adopted the usage of that acronym. And you should too. Spectate will eventually follow our call and rename the app officially, I'm sure.

• @derula said:

@WeatherGod said:
    (or is it now SSRR?)

I think that was SpenkSwamp's idea. It stands for Spectate Swamp Random Random, and describes the functionality a lot more precise than Spectate Swamp Desktop Search.

For some reason, I originally read that as "Spectate Swamp Random Ransom".  Don't know why...

@derula said:

And you should too. Spectate will eventually follow our call and rename the app officially, I'm sure.

I can try, but I have years of the SSDS acronym jammed into my noodle...

• @derula said:

I think that was SpenkSwamp's idea.
    As much as I would love to claim credit for that itwasn't me, I just liked it enough to continue using it.

• @WeatherGod said:

@Medezark said:

No, what is sad is that Oracle is easier to install than SSDS.  Even worse is that an Oracle database is easier to maintain and optimize than this crap.

So, there's no way for me to obtain SSDS / SSRR or whatever it's being called now?  Then what's the point of any of these discussions.  It's disingenuous to make bold claims about a piece of software no one else can use.

As a (relatively) old school programmer (Z80 Assembly, Pascal on a TRS-80 Model 1 loaded from Cassette tape), SSDS sounds interesting (or horrible).  If it truely only runs from within Visual Studio, then it's running from Source Code, which I could endeavor to convert to a more modern and useful language like WhiteSpace or LoLCode.  Or possibly even to TRS-80 Pascal if I can find my old cassette player. . . . .

The description of how the program could be used for merge/compare operations sounds as though it could be adapted to version control for SQL build files (producing only the ALTER statements for tables by comparing two versions) by only adding a couple of thousands of lines of code.

• @Medezark said:

So, there's no way for me to obtain SSDS / SSRR or whatever it's being called now?

It is available from http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/ - somewhere near the bottom of the page.

The source can be obtained at http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/source.txt however you will need to obtain a copy of VB5 to build it. The build instructions are found at http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7589648200316339053#

@Medezark said:

It's disingenuous to make bold claims about a piece of software no one else can use.
    Trust me on this, having the software and being able to use it are two entirely different things.

• @spenk said:

@derula said:
    I think that was SpenkSwamp's idea.
    As much as I would love to claim credit for that itwasn't me, I just liked it enough to continue using it.

Who was it then? checks the thread Ah, it was Xyro. My apologies and kudos to him.

• @WeatherGod said:

I can try, but I have years of the SSDS acronym jammed into my noodle...

Yeah, it's really only a habitual thing. Having looked back at page 17, we all had problems using the term in the beginning. But I'm sure you'll make it! Good luck!

• @Medezark said:

So, there's no way for me to obtain SSDS / SSRR or whatever it's being called now?  Then what's the point of any of these discussions.  It's disingenuous to make bold claims about a piece of software no one else can use.

As a (relatively) old school programmer (Z80 Assembly, Pascal on a TRS-80 Model 1 loaded from Cassette tape), SSDS sounds interesting (or horrible).  If it truely only runs from within Visual Studio, then it's running from Source Code, which I could endeavor to convert to a more modern and useful language like WhiteSpace or LoLCode.  Or possibly even to TRS-80 Pascal if I can find my old cassette player. . . . .

The description of how the program could be used for merge/compare operations sounds as though it could be adapted to version control for SQL build files (producing only the ALTER statements for tables by comparing two versions) by only adding a couple of thousands of lines of code.

What great sin have you committed in this (or previous) life that compells you to self-flagellate like this?

• How many lines of source code?

@Medezark said:

The exe is at: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/search.exe

the source is at http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/source.txt

It's great for taking notes. Start SSDS check the last page of notes and be closed out in under 3 seconds.

I use it to track my youtube views ie "youtubeviews 101851 23Sep2010" I add my youtube view counts like this every day or 2. Then I search mystuff.txt in matching lines only "s" at prompt #2 and enter "youtube/view/Sep2010" and see all the matches for this month. It is unmatched for video search and replay. You are probably better off not looking at the code because if you are like the others you will become distracted by what it looks like instead of seeing what it does.

Nobody has answered the lines of source code in their system. The plant management system I maintained was 2,000,000 Plus lines. That is next to nothing for SSDS.

If you have any questions; ask them. I get howled at everytime I repeat myself and I realize that it would take forever for anyone to read all the threads on the web to find the answers.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Nobody has answered the lines of source code in their system.
    Then again you never respond to any direct questions either - I see you have ignored my post asking you to explain how to use SSRR in two or three common scenarios.

@SpectateSwamp said:

The plant management system I maintained was 2,000,000 Plus lines.
    And was that 2,000,000 lines in a single source file with no labels or sub routines?

@SpectateSwamp said:

If you have any questions; ask them.
    However don't expect an answer if you are being serious or have genuine questions. You will be ignored and he will flit to an unrelated topic.

Every time I have asked a question that he hasn't been able to answer he just ignores the question - see the ones I posted a bit further up this page, or previously when I have asked him to explain screen shots, or justify his strange practices. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Yes, distributing a VB5 exe without a proper installler will get you many users. Well done.

• @spenk said:

Then again you never respond to any direct questions either - I see you have ignored my post asking you to explain how to use SSRR in two or three common scenarios.

He didn't have to. I already posted a reply better than anything he could possible have come up with.

• @derula said:

@spenk said:

He didn't have to. I already posted a reply better than anything he could possible have come up with.

Certainly more coherent and on topic than any of his replies.

• With an open mind, I will check out the source code when I get home tonight.

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

It's great for taking notes. Start SSDS check the last page of notes and be closed out in under 3 seconds.

For those of you who are new here, closed out meaning the application crashes the first time you attempt to use it, although in my experience it's more lie 10 milliseconds.

@SpectateSwamp said:

You are probably better off not looking at the code because if you are like the others you will become distracted by what it looks like instead of seeing what it does.

SpectateSwamp as a bridge engineer:

SS: "This is the best bridge ever. I am so amazed at what it can do."

Us: "Dude, first of all, it crosses a swamp. Why didn't you just build a landbridge? Second of all, at the very end of the bridge the road just ends, what's the point?"

SS: "It's incomplete I know, but that's where you come in. I need you to finish the road. It's amazing what this bridge can do."

Us: "It's made of plasterboard, though. It's just going to soak up in the swamp and in just a few hours it will be soggy."

SS: "You need to buy my "WR" compound which resists water and prevents leaking."

Us: "But that makes it hard to maintain. If you had just used stone, treated wood, or steel, you wouldn't need this compound... why is it called "WR" anyway?"

SS: "It's 'WR' for water recall because it recalls the water. Give it a try. You'll be surprised."

Us: "Why not call it-- oh, nevermind. That's besides the point. Why don't you tell us why you didn't use steel?"

SS: "You perfect-perfects need to use steel for your projects because it makes you feel important. My plaster is simple, and everyone can understand it. My grandmother makes papermache crafts, so even she can use it."

Us: "They don't need to understand truss design to cross a bridge! That's for the engineers to figure out!"

SS: "Oh by the way, I added a drawbridge to the bridge. You just need to stomp your feet 6 times to get it up. I just love this bridge."

Us: "But who is going to go under the bridge in a swamp?! That's completely useless!"

SS: "I also added an option to pivot the bridge to a random location. Oh man you are going to love random-random."

Us: "Random random... what?! WHAT IS THE POINT?!?"

SS: "People won't always know where the bridge will take them. It's exciting. Oh how I love this bridge. It can be used anywhere. Anywhere."

Us: "You didn't answer my first question. Why do people need to understand steel? I mean, there's no friggen way this bridge could ever cross even a small river. It only somewhat works here because it's in a shallow swamp. If you wanted to put it over the Mississippi River or the San Francisco bay where it would actually be of use, there's no way this bridge could last 5 minutes."

SS: "Yip yap yip yap. You are all talk and no do. Let's do a showdown."

Us: "Okay, my grandfather helped build the Golden Gate bridge, which handles 500,000 cars a day and has not seen a single structural failure in its long history. Beat that."

SS: "I added some pivot points to the bridge so it can be even more random. Random-random is going to cure cancer some day. Oh this bridge is so great."

Us: "FOCUS, SPECTATE! We're talking about the showdown."

SS: "The bridge can now be moved up and down the length of the swamp so you don't have to begin and end at the same place every time. Other perfect-perfects claim you need to always begin and end at the same point that is boring. My bridge is better because of that. When your Golden Gate special yip yappy perfect-perfect fancy bridge can sprout legs and connect San Francisco to San Jose, then you can talk."

Us: "There's no body of water separating San Francisco with San Jose! And even if there was, you just build a new bridge. What if some people want to get to Marin County and the other people want to go to San Jose?"

SS: "You perfect-perfects overcomplicate everything. Only my swamp bridge can do what your bridges could never do. I do love this bridge."

Us: "You lose the showdown. The golden gate does much more than your stupid little bridge does."

SS: "I went to a painting forum to tell people how I paint my bridge. First I have to drain the swamp and then paint everything and then fill the swamp back. Those yippie yappies don't know what they're talking about. They banned me in 30 minutes. Boo to them. Boo"

Us: "They banned you because your solution was ridiculous. Draining the swamp? Really? Again, you'd have to drain the Pacific Ocean and the San Francisco Bay in order to do that to the Golden Gate. Besides, you don't paint under water. That's just stupid."

SS: "I wonder if you can build a bridge to San Jose with the same simplicity as my bridge."

Us: "THERE IS NO BRIDGE TO SAN JOSE. Perhaps you're talking about Oakland? Perhaps I could build an overpass over US-101 on the way to San Jose, but your bridge wouldn't even survive that. Face it: Your bridge does you just fine because only you are using it... but for the mass public, it is useless to them. Your bridge can't withstand a Big Wheel much less a tractor trailer."

SS: "I showed the bridge to some of my golfing buddies. They were able to play golf on the bridge because there was a hole I need to patch on it which doubled as a golf hole. It was JUST the right size. Oh the possibilities with this bridge are endless."

Us: "Are you sure they weren't mocking your bridge by playing golf on it? Why is there a hole in the bridge? I thought you said this was the best bridge in the world"

SS: "Little holes and other things are no match for the random-random and shifting this bridge does. Wait until the public really sees the bridge. It will knock the socks off of the Golden Gate and the Brooklyn Bridge. I bet they are shivering in their boots now. Boo to the perfect-perfect engineers who have to overcomplicate. Booo. This bridge is good. Maybe too good."

Us: "Little holes are just what safety inspectors look for. They'll never even approve your bridge if it has holes. The Brooklyn Bridge is a technical marvel if you look at when it was created. In fact, it was created in the 19th century and it's still far greater in architecture than your dinky little piece of shit.

SS: "The Brooklyn Bridge is useless if I want to go to New Jersey. All you are doing is yapping about how marvelous the bridge is when it doesn't do half the things it should do, like take me across the Hudson. Oh my bridge could do it all."

Us: "Then you take the GW or the Holland Tunnel. The Brooklyn Bridge doesn't move because even if it was an easy feat, people would be pissed that they have to wait for the bridge if it's on the Hudson when they want to cross the East River. Face it: YOUR BRIDGE IS POINTLESS TO EVERYONE EXCEPT YOU"

SS: "Come to Alberta. I'm doing SS-training in the swamp shack. I'll make a convert out of you just like I did the golfers. Now they're using the bridge everywhere. Brooklyn Bridge can't touch this bridge. Not even the floating Seattle bridge. While I was moving my bridge north up the swamp, I noticed some dino skins. They look amazing. If I didn't have the random-random moving option on the bridge I would have never found them. Oh, this bridge could save so many people. Maybe too many."

Us: "THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE YOU RETARD."

SS: "I'm waiting for that showdown. I am going to school you perfect-perfects."

Us: "We did a showdown. You lost. Game over."

SS: "My bridge now has a random-random golf option. Holes form in the bridge just as you start playing. The golf swampies love it. Give it a try."

@SpectateSwamp said:

Nobody has answered the lines of source code in their system.

Alright, I'll shoot...

The average class in our code has about 200 lines of code, including comments, and they range between a mere 20 lines for simple data structures to 900 lines for the complex startup class which is responsible for the lifecycle of the whole application.

The codebase, which includes our custom framework, has some 500 classes, so if you do the math that's about 100,000 lines of code, give or take. Keep in mind that, with several exceptions, this is non-duplicated code that has comments more useful than simple dates (since we use subversion to actually keep track of who did what when). If you strip out the comments and white space I'd say we have about 50,000 lines of code.

These are all very rough, wild-ass estimates. The fact is, these lines of code are broken down into about 500 files. I know that makes you shudder and tremble, and gives us an image in your head that we're perfect-perfects who just yip yap away about stuff no end-user cares about, it makes everything so much more maintainable. If the application crashes in the very beginning, it's much easier to check the log for an indication of where the error occurred and we can tell right away in which package (if not the class or precise line-number) the error lies, and we can make breakpoints to debug from there. Furthermore, if we wrote our unit tests correctly, the error should reproduce itself in there and we can even know exactly under what circumstances the error was caused in case it was inconsistent and difficult to reproduce. 

This isn't just yip-yap. It's well-proven techniques that reduce the risk of buggy software and poor maintainability.

•  @Medezark said:

With an open mind, I will check out the source code when I get home tonight.

Too bad you can't do a backup of your brain first. Oh well, I hear the psyche wards are nice these days ....

•  

As much as the entire post was genius @RHuckster said:

SS: "Oh by the way, I added a drawbridge to the bridge. You just need to stomp your feet 6 times to get it up. I just love this bridge."

Us: "But who is going to go under the bridge in a swamp?! That's completely useless!"

really did get a laugh.

• This thread is soon to have the 1337th post in it.

Just saying.

• @RHuckster said:

...snip...

Us: "THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE YOU RETARD."

SS: "I'm waiting for that showdown. I am going to school you perfect-perfects."

Us: "We did a showdown. You lost. Game over."

SS: "My bridge now has a random-random golf option. Holes form in the bridge just as you start playing. The golf swampies love it. Give it a try."

RHuckster, I bow to you.  I think you have very nicely summerized all of his threads within a single posting.  Some possible points left out from the original epic thread: aliens, medicine stones (and curses), spooked crows, mushroom clouds... did I miss anything?

• @RHuckster said:

_0_

• 🚽 Regular

@WeatherGod said:

Some possible points left out from the original epic thread: aliens, medicine stones (and curses), spooked crows, mushroom clouds... did I miss anything?

Yeah, I wanted to try to include his video posts with this, but couldn't find a way in the context of bridge building, so I went with the dino skin discovery. I guess I could have said something about him going to a city council meeting and trying to overrule the "plants" that would almost certainly reject his bid for completing the bridge, then doing his stone dance.

Actually, I guess I could have continued with him crushing his bridge with a flatten 'em stone, yet still insisting his bridge was better. 

• @RHuckster said:

+1 Amusing

• @Medezark said:

We haven't heard back from you... did the men in white coats come along and take you away?

• This program is really elite.

• @derula said:

This program is really elite.

Yeah, but this reply is more elite...

• 🚽 Regular

SS: "I submitted my bridge to the Academy Awards. WTF if Spectate wins?"

Us: "Your bridge isn't a movie!"

SS: "They rejected my nomination! Who was the vicious plant that clued them in?!"

• @RHuckster said:

SS: "I submitted my bridge to the Academy Awards. WTF if Spectate wins?"

Us: "Your bridge isn't a movie!"

SS: "They rejected my nomination! Who was the vicious plant that clued them in?!"

Ah, right, the infamous mashup controversy.

SS: But the bridge is random!  Much more interesting than anything else you have!

• Don't check the code.

@Medezark said:

@Medezark said:

Don't check the code. Just put the exe in a folder of it's own. On first fun enter "x" at the first prompt. Then it should run OK. Merge your text files and search them. Or at prompt #2 enter "gf" for "Get Files" that will catalogue all your jpg or mpg or mp3 for display or play. To turn on random enter "rand" at prompt #2 and turn if off by entering "norand" The command ww is for auto run and will play videos pictures and music continuously. Do your notes using the "e" command at #2 prompt. Forward your emails then Ctrl/a Ctrl/c to put the contents in the clipboard. Then in SSDS at prompt #2 enter "z" to append the contents of the clipboard to your outmail.txt or inmail.txt files. You'll just love having your data safe secure and accessible. If you are checking the code then the part that is difficult is the hi-lite and line wrap. see:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/pict01.jpg

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/pict02.jpg

Don't be afraid of the ridicule. There is a lot more this program can do. It is made to be stopped and restarted lots. Don't be afraid to jam it. If you don't like the tune it is playing. Kill it and restart it with enter enter enter. If it is running in "rand"om mode you will get a new one everytime.

• Re: Don't check the code, that would be silly after all this is only a coders forum. Oh.

@SpectateSwamp said:

It is made to be stopped and restarted lots.
    It is made to be restarted straight away, because it doesn't work properly the first time you run it. You would have thought this could be fixed given how simple and straight forward the code is...

I take it you are ignoring my request that you provide steps to use SSRR for the common scenarios I outlined previously then, I can only assume that is because SSRR wouldn't be as straight forward and simple to use. After all most of my examples were only 3 steps long - surely SSRR must be a mere two steps given how much better and easier it is...

• MedezarkSwamp is gone - testing out SSDS

@derula said:

why doesn't mede say anything

MedezarkSwamp is gone. He's off studying and jammin the code. Because he's found a copy of VB5 and the online video showing him how to do the simple build steps (every one of them). In minutes he was Jammin some changes and activating Logic display code, Well that is what I am hoping for.

Where can my Swampies get a copy of VB5. Without comming to SwampShack? I want some answers. Not just wise ass comments. The Swampies await. B-RedeckerSwamp

@b-redeker said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Yes, distributing a VB5 exe without a proper installler will get you many users. Well done.

Anybody wanting to make the Proper installler? You got a nasty twitch there!

With 15 minutes of effort the Swampies can be jammin in a noodle or two. That's when I'll start fixing some minor minor irritations by noodling around the code instead of deleting anything.

Swampies sharing digital knowledge with abandon. What a wonderful thought. Most of the pests in this forum know more than enough to start random randoming their own data. While making that nice nice OO Skin. Geez they would be doing something important and fun at the same time. Who's going to post that FREE VB5 software link?

Maybe I need to use the Medicine Stones to stir up Lazy forum?

• Look Deep deep into the Stones

• Sic 'Em White Crow

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Where can my Swampies get a copy of VB5. Without comming to SwampShack? I want some answers.
    Probably ebay, it isn't going to be found anywhere else given it is no longer sold or supported by MS. You considered upgrading to VB6 yet?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Maybe I need to use the Medicine Stones to stir up Lazy forum?
    You could answer some of the questions I've posted rather than accuse us of being lazy, after all you are the one too lazy to respond to genuine questions which offer  you the chance to prove how much easier SSRR is compared to WDS.

Out of curiosity what on earth is a @SpectateSwamp said:

nice nice OO Skin.

• 🚽 Regular

The jpeg artifacts in your photo of the stones must be interfering with their mystical powers because I don't feel any different than I did before seeing the stones.

• SSDS of Tomorrow - what platform what language?

@spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Where can my Swampies get a copy of VB5. Without coming to SwampShack? I want some answers.
    Probably ebay, it isn't going to be found anywhere else given it is no longer sold or supported by MS. You considered upgrading to VB6 yet?

Why upgrade to VB6 when it won't run SSDS right from the get go. I'm sure that I had it running on VB6 at one time. But that was 8 or 9 years ago and a lot of stuff has changed. MS should sell me the VB5 Program and we'll all become partners. SSDS would be a lot easier for someone to move to another platform and language; ( C or Cobol or Fortran,,, anything other that VB5) With A running copy of SSDS, It's source code, MicroSoft VB5 and my Famous Short video / build demo. What else would a Swampie need to jam the SSDS of tomorrow on another platform. 

@spenk said:

You could answer some of the questions I've posted rather than accuse us of being lazy, after all you are the one too lazy to respond to genuine questions which offer  you the chance to prove how much easier SSRR is compared to WDS.

Well maybe more unexcitible than lazy. Real lazy people wouldn't be sucking up all this data manipulating knowledge. They would have gone long ago. I was hoping there would be the odd watcher / yapper that would get around to doing something with this SUPER app. As far as being easier than SSDS. Just think in MINUTES a non - programmer can be changing and running their own version of SSDS. Will you ever get that chance with WDS? Could anybody here wrap their head around WDS if given the opportunity? Most most probably not. And surely not the stupidest man on Earth ----  Impossible!!!

@spenk said:

Out of curiosity what on earth is a @SpectateSwamp said:

nice nice OO Skin.

Nice nice skin is what makes us all look so PRETTY . A little Object Oriented front end to pass the 3 main prompts to a background SSDS would do for a start. That would appease the Perfect Perfects, The Too Go0dies and the Know-it-all techies moving forward.

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

Why upgrade to VB6 when it won't run SSDS right from the get go.

*bangs* *head* *on* *desk*

We're talking about [b]you[/b] upgrading [b]SSDS[/b] to support VB6 so that people don't need a time machine to install your piece of shit software.

@SpectateSwamp said:

I'm sure that I had it running on VB6 at one time. But that was 8 or 9 years ago and a lot of stuff has changed.

Funny, that's just around the time VB6 was released.

@SpectateSwamp said:

MS should sell me the VB5 Program and we'll all become partners.

MS won't even let you enter their building to take a piss.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Well maybe more unexcitible than lazy. Real lazy people wouldn't be sucking up all this data manipulating knowledge. They would have gone long ago. I was hoping there would be the odd watcher / yapper that would get around to doing something with this SUPER app.

Out of the hundreds of people who visit this forum every day, only a handful even bother responding to your posts. And out of that handful nobody has said anything good about your product. Software has the disadvantage that if it's useless, it's even more useless than a physical product, because with a physical product you could often find other uses for it, such as a surface to put stuff on, a doorstop, or a paperweight. The fact that you believe, despite the many people telling you otherwise, that SSDS is the end-all-be-all of software shows that you have some serious issues with denial.

@SpectateSwamp said:

As far as being easier than SSDS. Just think in MINUTES a non - programmer can be changing and running their own version of SSDS. Will you ever get that chance with WDS? Could anybody here wrap their head around WDS if given the opportunity? Most most probably not. And surely not the stupidest man on Earth ----  Impossible!!!

You're right about the last point. Somehow entering your search term into WDS and getting results went beyond your comprehension. For the other 6,999,999,999 people on earth, though, they could wrap their heads around WDS. I don't understand what you can't wrap your head around: Enter term into box: get shit back. What is your major malfunction? Did you put your files you wanted to search in an indexed folder like My Documents or did you put them in a retarded place like your windows system directory where by default WDS doesn't even search in? In a thread a while back you said WDS couldn't search very large text files, yet nobody else has complained but you, because you have this crazy notion that putting all of your documents into a single text file is something not only people do, but what people should [i]embrace[/i].

As for your comment, "In MINUTES" I have Windows 7, which comes WITH WDS, so it takes me no time at all to run it. And it's so good, it doesn't even need changing. Did you hear that? [b]Windows Desktop Search is so good, it doesn't even NEED CHANGING![/b]