Nobody shares knowledge better than this

• Distracted by SSDS code

@spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Very easy and nobody but SSDS can do Golf video like this. NoBody.
    If you post up a couple of the original golf videos somewhere I can show you the same thing in much less code than SSRR, I already requested this but you ignored me.

@SpectateSwamp said:

And they don't give a damn about the Code.
    When you are posting code to a coding forum of course we are going to care about the code. The golfers have no interest in the code so they don't care. Different people have different interests, here we are interested in code so we comment (and laugh) at the code.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Believe me what they love is the slow motion part. With #2 being immediacy of results.
    Dead easy to do without writing a god awful mess like SSRR - I posted the WPF code several posts back and it is very simple and clean - no need for a disaster like SSRR to be the end result.

@SpectateSwamp said:

What a beautiful program.
    It looks ugly, has a totally incomprehensible interface and by your own admission can hang a computer - how is this a beautiful program?

So I assume that the rest of you (except for SpenkSwampDaddy and SpenkSwampMummy) think SpenkSwamp can kick my butt when it comes to playing back golf video?

I'll upload a temporary short golf clip to archive.org and post the link here. The difference with the Golf course people is they are not fixated on the code and can see the value of this program. With this group, if a great valuable program came along and was "poorly" coded; they would never realize it's value. As is the case with SSDS. Lack of insight pure pure lack of insight.

• Test Video loaded

Here is a short one.

http://www.archive.org/details/TestVideoForSpenkswamp

I'll expect to see SpenkSwamp on the course if he is as good as he says he is.

• Quicktime problems - must be no good.

From the other angle

http://www.archive.org/details/TestVideoForSpenkswamp_752

the videos wouldn't download until I removed the quicktime app that I was using for viewing a friends Mac site.

Now it downloads quickly into media player where I can go under "file" and save it. The file is the same size as the original.

Good luck

•  http://www.screencast.com/users/dummyuser45/folders/Default/media/2858c348-8cdd-4e0d-bdec-4bdba282b154

is a quick sample of one video being played.

I had to reencode it as wmv to get the slow motion to work, wmp wouldn't play back with speed control and when I tried SSRR it just jerked through about 4 frames and then the video froze when playing back - I am guessing it must be down to whatever mpeg2 codec I am using.

• Hey, swampy! Have you ever thought about dating that er... chick who made this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRuFV9cwzfk

• Slo-Mo is a big step in time. Big Big step

@spenk said:

http://www.screencast.com/users/dummyuser45/folders/Default/media/2858c348-8cdd-4e0d-bdec-4bdba282b154

is a quick sample of one video being played.

I had to reencode it as wmv to get the slow motion to work, wmp wouldn't play back with speed control and when I tried SSRR it just jerked through about 4 frames and then the video froze when playing back - I am guessing it must be down to whatever mpeg2 codec I am using.

Good going    NOPE    Really good going   SpenkSwamp. To get something to play back in slow motion must have took some struggle. I though you were gone for good. Not responding repeatedly. With the SSDS playback problems. Try getting it to run from a USB stick and take it to a friends computer. If it still doesn't work then maybe I got a problem. I am posting the control file that I use for external devices. at:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/control.txt

I've had weird video problems too. Probably codec related. Whereby the sound wouldn't play (On a USB device or DVD). Mostly some old business computer trying to run cool stuff like video.

Now we'll have to see who gets a contract for their Slo-mo first??? I'm going after University sports. I know they all got Video. But they can't do it simpler or faster than this. Hey. the "golf" catalogue option takes mere seconds. How can anything be faster than mere seconds. It can't.    SSDS is the very best by far for Slow Motion playback.

• Love your Data with SSDS

@derula said:

Hey, swampy! Have you ever thought about dating that er... chick who made this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRuFV9cwzfk

I'm sure she would be pretty excited when I showed her slow motion replay of those clouds. Then we'd see what was hidden. A couple bottles of wine and weird video. Wooo Hooo

Anyway.. my web link was down for a couple days. First I thought it was the aliens messing with my computer. Then you guys. Then the government. So I backed my stuff up and reloaded my Operating System "XP" and still no internet. It sure feels good to have this kind of control over my computer. From now on I'll do a backup once a week and once a month reload my OS. Data is just sooo secure with SSDS

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Anyway.. my web link was down for a couple days. First I thought it was the aliens messing with my computer. Then you guys. Then the government. So I backed my stuff up and reloaded my Operating System "XP" and still no internet. It sure feels good to have this kind of control over my computer. From now on I'll do a backup once a week and once a month reload my OS. Data is just sooo secure with SSDS
    Sounds like a new sig to me!

By the way, I didn't do it.  Did you ever find out the problem?

• It could have been the aliens

@Xyro said:

By the way, I didn't do it.  Did you ever find out the problem?

Everybody in the area had no web service. I feel kinda guilty blaming the aliens etc.

• 🚽 Regular

The first thing to do is apologize to us for assuming we were hacking into your Interwebs.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

To get something to play back in slow motion must have took some struggle.
    Nope, was dead easy using WPF's built in media support, the entire code to setup the recap bit is, to start it I just call .Play() on theVideo afterwards.

Snippet

private void SetupRecap(TimeSpan position, double speedRatio)
            {
                if (position.TotalSeconds < 0)
                    position = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(0);

theVideo.Stop();
                theVideo.Position = position;
                theVideo.SpeedRatio = speedRatio;
            }

@SpectateSwamp said:

the "golf" catalogue option takes mere seconds.
    currently mine just takes a path on the command line as a source of media, or if none provided it just uses the current folder. It wouldn't be too hard to have it read from a file instead though.

• 🚽 Regular

As the defacto judge, I hearby award spenk with the winning solution to recapping a movie in slo-mo. Obviously the 9 lines of contiguous code it took is far, far simpler than the many more lines of code it took Spectate Swamp in many various locations in the thousands of lines of his single-file code. Apparently Spenk is much more good at Keep-It-Simple-Stupid than old Swampie.

• Slo-Mo at the End - What a great great SSDS Feature

@RHuckster said:

As the defacto judge, I hearby award spenk with the winning solution to recapping a movie in slo-mo. Obviously the 9 lines of contiguous code it took is far, far simpler than the many more lines of code it took Spectate Swamp in many various locations in the thousands of lines of his single-file code. Apparently Spenk is much more good at Keep-It-Simple-Stupid than old Swampie.

Ok ok. The next demo round will be Barrel Racing. I'll turn the camcorder off & on after they round each barrel. I would have liked doing Show Jumping. Stopping the video after each clearance then turning it right back on; but there aren't any jumpers nearby. Me running around prancing over low fences just wouldn't be the same. Might even get me locked up.

SpenkSwamp what is the next demo of your Slo-Mo at the End capability?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

SpenkSwamp what is the next demo of your Slo-Mo at the End capability?

There isn't another demo, I only did this to prove how easy it was to write an app to copy your much bragged about feature without the code being a hideous spaghetti mess of poor variable names and no functions or structure.

• SSDS creams cookies

@RHuckster said:

The first thing to do is apologize to us for assuming we were hacking into your Interwebs.

You are right and I am sorry. Good thing I keep my medicine stones in a safety deposit box. Otherwise half of this forum would be wandering around in a daze. Alien craft would be flying around upside down. Governments would be falling; who knows what else. If any aliens are following this thread. I'm sorry. Please no abductions. I just hate needles and probes.

One side effect of reloading my OS is that the cookies are gone. Now all those sites that Ban me don't know I'm watching them. There were a couple of those nasty mods that put something in their code that locked me up when I was snooping. Mods can be very vindictive.

• 🚽 Regular

Holy mackeral... you have less of a handle on reality than a green Buzz Lightyear model! Why do you think the sites who have banned you would CARE that you were watching them? Do you realize that forums have all kinds of trolls, some even more spectacular than you, who have been banned and have long since been forgotten? What makes you think there's a forum admin who studies a report of banned trolls that are "watching" them? And besides, assuming your IP address hasn't changed, they can still track you.

Your stones do NOTHING. There are NO ALIENS flying around, right side up or upside down. Plus, even if there were aliens among us, they wouldn't be going to The Daily WTF much less this thread, as I'm sure all of our primitive technology is probably on THEIR daily wtf. "Look at these n00bs, they're still running on fossil fuels and silicon-based electronics!" Even if there were aliens reading The Daily WTF, they wouldn't be interested in abducting and probing you. You probably have so many diseases you'd manage to wipe out their species.

I love how we keep telling you we don't believe in all the stuff you believe in, yet you continue to talk to us about them as if we know WTF you're talking about.

• @RHuckster said:

I love how we keep telling you we don't believe in all the stuff you believe in, yet you continue to talk to us about them as if we know WTF you're talking about.

I love how some people keep trying to try to convince him as if that will make a difference.

Basically, I see 2 possibilities.
    - he's trolling; then no amount of explanation will convince him, clearly.
    - he's serious; then no amount of explanation will convince him, apparently.

If you must feed him, then at least have fun doing it. Don't take him too seriously.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

The next demo round will be Barrel Racing.

Must... resist... urge...

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Good thing I keep my medicine stones in a safety deposit box. Otherwise [...] Governments would be falling; who knows what else.

Probably the ol' granny who would pass your shack and trip over the stones.

• Thank you for Arguing with great stubbornness & hilariality

@derula said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    Good thing I keep my medicine stones in a safety deposit box. Otherwise [...] Governments would be falling; who knows what else.
    Probably the ol' granny who would pass your shack and trip over the stones.

It is sort of like feeding the Troll. Threads like this keep me focused on the Great Great SSDS. My next random feature is going to be random group selection of videos. Primarily to Randomly show the full speed and slow motion golf videos as a pair. It won't be hard. When the random group option is on. Search start will be the first non blank line before the generated rand number and within the 3 content lines before and after  The current system is hard coded to search 3 lines past the Rand # . Anyway being able to randomly play groups of video (no matter how big) is another Easy Great Great feature. You can learn a lot by being out on the Golf course. The "golf" feature will be set to generate that many blank lines after each matching pair. Bet SpenkSwamp's solution isn't this wildly random.

Yippie SSDS is the very greatest random video player Ever.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Yahoo SSDS is the very greatest random video player Ever.

You sold your program to Yahoo!? I couldn't care less about Yahoo!, but I really don't think they deserved THIS.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Anyway being able to randomly play groups of video (no matter how big) is another Easy Great Great feature. You can learn a lot by being out on the Golf course. The "golf" feature will be set to generate that many blank lines after each matching pair. Bet SpenkSwamp's solution isn't this wildly random.

I am probably going to regret asking this but....

What  exactly does

randomly playing groups of video
    actually mean? Please just explain this feature without using words and phrases such as noodle, jam, gee haw, alien, "faster than sight" or "perfect perfects".

• Random groups SSDS has more randomness

Randomly play groups of video.

Say I wanted to randomly play video and have the "selected" swing and the slow mo version always play together. Maybe my best alien videos too. Like the 5 or 6 very best would always show as a group when randomly hit on. Same with the little chipmunk. All 3 clips with that little critter would show when randomized to. When you got thousands of video you don't want to see them sequentially. It might randomly hit on a birthday party. With the group option I'd see all them for that date. It works best for those that have a full speed followed by a slo-mo segment. Like golf and other action sports.

• @spenk said:

What  exactly does
    randomly playing groups of video
    actually mean?

I actually thought that was pretty clear. SpectateSwamp seems to have done a fairly good job of explaining it in response to your request, also, but in case his answer is not clear to you, allow me to rephrase.

You can specify sets of videos to be played as a group. Rather than shuffling individual videos, you shuffle groups of videos, so that all members of a group are played together. (Ungrouped videos could be considered to be in groups of one, if it helps.) It's unclear as to whether videos within a group should be played in sequential or random order; I suppose that depends on how random you want things to be, though I'd opt for sequential as a default. You could (and probably should) also allow a single video to be in multiple groups.

More to the point, this is an honest-to-God [b]useful feature[/b]. I've often wished the shuffle function on music devices could be made to work this way. The reason is that I mainly listen to classical music. Much of that music is divided into movements, with each movement being a separate track. The movements themselves are not independent, however, and in sequence form the complete work. So I'd like to be able to say, for instance, "Play all my Beethoven pieces in a random order", and have Symphony #6 followed by Piano Concerto #5 rather than Symphony #6, movement II followed by Piano Concerto #5, movement I.

Naturally I don't expect my stereo to know to do this, because the CD doesn't contain that sort of metadata (as far as I know). But I'd love to be able to do this in, say, WMP, or my MP3 player. If I could set up a playlist and say "Keep these ones together, and these ones together, and these ones together", I'd be very happy.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Randomly play groups of video.

Say I wanted to randomly play video and have the "selected" swing and the slow mo version always play together. Maybe my best alien videos too. Like the 5 or 6 very best would always show as a group when randomly hit on. Same with the little chipmunk. All 3 clips with that little critter would show when randomized to. When you got thousands of video you don't want to see them sequentially. It might randomly hit on a birthday party. With the group option I'd see all them for that date. It works best for those that have a full speed followed by a slo-mo segment. Like golf and other action sports.

Would the items in each group play randomly as well or would the items in each group play sequentially?

• Extremely short videos used to group foursomes with SSDS

@spenk said:

Would the items in each group play randomly as well or would the items in each group play sequentially?

sequentially. The whole foursome in golf would play sequentially but would be randomly selected.

A simple method to create a break point between golf groupings would be to shoot an extremely short video clip (less than a couple seconds) when each new foursome comes by  Then during the "golf" cataloging option, this clip would be used to create a "group_break" line between groups and would never be displayed. When playing in group random mode. SSDS would play all the videos between the "group_break" line before and after the random Match line.

group_break

photo video0030.mpg

xxx.c:\golfvideos\video0030.mpg

photo video0031.mpg

xxx.c:\golfvideos\video0031.mpg

photo video0032.mpg

xxx.c:\golfvideos\video0032.mpg

group_break

This way I could shoot 3 or four video clips for a barrel racer and have them randomly play as a group. Just making a small vid as a break point indicator.

So within 10 minutes of leaving the course SSDS would be playing random foursomes full speed and the last 3 secs in slo-mo. How great is that.

• SpectateSwamp -- You're not crazy, just highly specialized.

•  @SpectateSwamp said:

sequentially. The whole foursome in golf would play sequentially but would be randomly selected.
    I can't see that being too difficult to implement, would just need a file listing the media to play rather than just the file system, will have a look at extending my little app when I get some free time.

• Random groups with and without the mini video playback

@spenk said:

I can't see that being too difficult to implement, would just need a file listing the media to play rather than just the file system, will have a look at extending my little app when I get some free time.

Good going Spenk. I think I'll probably add the ability to display that short clip in slo mo or NOT. Having a small white board with the Golf Flight # and the players listed; it would be handy to show that info at the beginning of each random group. For football the play sequence # would be on the mini white board. Just another prompt when doing the "gf" and "golf" catalog option as to whether it gets played or not.

• Nobody shares VIDEO better than this

The Random by Group works just great. Truly nobody shares VIDEO better than this. Except maybe SpenkSwamp when he gets his application working. I can see this being useful for grouping Video, Music and Pics for given events.  

The Grouping by short short video clips is next. If the video is under 2 seconds in length then SSDS will create the "BREAK" line in the catalog file. Previously we were trying to get the player name as they tee'd off. That might have tee'd them off even more. Now that info doesn't matter. When they see their Group # come up they know their video will play shortly.

Thanks for the encouraging words of support ScarletManukaSwamp. With this enhancement; it's time to start really bragging up SSDS. No app can do golf video more swiftly than SSDS. What a powerful powerful program SSDS is.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Thanks for the encouraging words of support ScarletManukaSwamp. With this enhancement; it's time to start really bragging up SSDS. No app can do golf video more swiftly than SSDS. What a powerful powerful program SSDS is.
    Speaking of which, do you take feature requests?  I have an idea for an enhancement that would make SSDS really great

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Except maybe SpenkSwamp when he gets his application working.
    Not had too much spare time, plus the app has grown a little more than I expected it to. It is now at the stage were it will play back all files in a folder or files listed in an xml file (choice is specified on the command line), it can generate the xml file from a folder defaulting the recap time and speed (also specified optionally on the command line) and you get to chose from play the files in order, totally random or randomise the groups but play in the correct order from the group or randomise the groups and randomise the files within the group (Again set as a command line switch).

The  xml file allows you to specify a group name, recap time and recap speed on an item by item basis, when playing a folder you get to specify these on the command line or set them as defaults in a config file.

The loading of media files is defined by an interface so plugging an alternate format in (such as csv) is a fairly trivial affair as well. 

All done with no spaghetti coding, sane variable names and small organised routines - much more maintainable then SSRR. The only bit I didn't write myself is the command line parser (I am far too lazy to reinvent the wheel) which is from http://www.ndesk.org/ and well worth a look if anyone needs a decent command line parser.

• Nobody shares VIDEO better than this

@Xyro said:

[Speaking of which, do you take feature requests?  I have an idea for an enhancement that would make SSDS really great

Any reasonable suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance XyroSwamp

• SpenkSwampDaddy should be proud

@spenk said:

you get to chose from play the files in order, totally random or randomise the groups but play in the correct order from the group or randomise the groups and randomise the files within the group (Again set as a command line switch).

Sounds like you have really gotten the randomizing bug. Random this random that etc etc. SSDS can do random within group but at the time I couldn't see the use for it; but maybe I am wrong. Anyway Very good going. I have to get the Break point on mini file implemented. Then we'll see who is fastest from the course to the big screen. It could come down to a matter of seconds difference. 

• Re: Nothing to be proud of, wasn't that difficult a thing to do

@SpectateSwamp said:

Sounds like you have really gotten the randomizing bug.
    Not really, but this is one area where it does make sense.

@SpectateSwamp said:

SSDS can do random within group but at the time I couldn't see the use for it;
    It was virtually no effort to add the option of random within a group so I added it in, was an excuse to play around with Linq really.

@SpectateSwamp said:

I have to get the Break point on mini file implemented.
    Errr, what?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Then we'll see who is fastest from the course to the big screen. It could come down to a matter of seconds difference. 
    I really don't care, it was just an exercise in writing clean non-spaghetti code as I was getting annoyed by your insistence that your way is the only way to do these things.

• Video control using the on/off button - what power

@spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

I have to get the Break point on mini file implemented.
    Errr, what? .

The ability to play random Golf video groupings without manual intervention is critical to the timeliness of the replay. By creating an extremely short video (2 secs or less) SSDS can identify this as a  "GROUP_BREAK" point. It also makes it easy to sync video clips from 2 or more camcorders.

Example: For barrel racing. A short clip of the rider # then followed by a video up to and around the first barrel. Then stop & restart video until the next barrel is rounded then stop / restart recording till the run is complete. These videos will play as a group with the last segment of each video (rounding the barrel) playing in slow motion. All controlled by the stop/start button.

As for spaghetti. I'm sure when your app expands to encompass all the functionality of SSDS few will be able to understand the code.  

• @SpectateSwamp said:

The ability to play random Golf video groupings without manual intervention is critical to the timeliness of the replay.
    What is this manual intervention you speak of?

@SpectateSwamp said:

As for spaghetti. I'm sure when your app expands to encompass all the functionality of SSDS few will be able to understand the code.  
    I have no intention of bothering to implement the rest of SSRR's functionality, even if I was to do so I wouldn't let the code degenerate to that extent anyway.

• Camcorder Manufacturers don't have a clue

@spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

The ability to play random Golf video groupings without manual intervention is critical to the timeliness of the replay.
    What is this manual intervention you speak of?

During the Demo golf video exercise. We didn't have the short short video method to determine the group breaks. So I had to manually go in and look at the videos from CamCorder #1. It's file names were in the format of "YYYYMMDDhhmmss.mpg". From those files I could determine the breaks between golfing foursomes. There was an interval of at least 3 to 5 minutes between groups. CC#2 had file names like "PG01_M001.mpg" "PG01_M002.mpg" etc. So I had to check who was the first in the next group by viewing CC#1's video then finding that golfer by examining the CC#2's video that was most likely the one. During the tournament some golfers didn't want to be videoed and one group had 5 golfers. (And we missed some completely) So you just couldn't put a break between every 4 video records and call it a group. This was very time consuming taking HOURS.

The NEW feature to play back just the final 3 seconds of each video in slo-mo; saved even more time. To determine what part of the 180+ videos was the swing; I had to examine every one and do a couple of tests to get it right. That took 6 to 8 hours. The "GOLF" functionality reduced it to mere seconds.

So with these 2 great features we can have the video off-loaded from the 2 camcorders in 5 to 10 minutes. Cataloged to play Normal - then the final 3 seconds in slow motion with Random by group viewing and no manual intervention. None Nada. Niet...

These new features makes it far easier to video each swing because we are no longer concerned about keeping each video so short. We can start the video almost as soon as they place the ball on the ground and shut it off right after the swing. With no missed swings and the mini-clips for grouping; synchronizing videos from 2 or more camcorder is a BONUS. 

@spenk said:

I have no intention of bothering to implement the rest of SSRR's functionality, even if I was to do so I wouldn't let the code degenerate to that extent anyway.

Probably because of your complete distraction by the coding standards. You fail to see the control this search provides for Video, Music, Pics and text. In any search showdown. SSDS would easily Swamp the competition. Very easily. 

Neither Sony nor Hitachi have a clue about using the remotes. We have to hold the remotes under and in front of the camcorders to turn the recording on and off. The only reason the remote is used is to eliminate the jiggle at the beginning and end of each video caused by manually hitting the ON/OFF button. How about putting a sensor on the back of the camcorders. Boo Manufacturers boo.

One learns a lot more out on the golf course doing video than sitting in an office thinking about it. Way more.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Probably because of your complete distraction by the coding standards. You fail to see the control this search provides for Video, Music, Pics and text. In any search showdown. SSDS would easily Swamp the competition. Very easily. 
    You are totally wrong there I am afraid to say, coding standards are not a distraction in the slightest. They allow you to write maintainable, organised and readable code. They prevent the code degenerating into the spaghetti like mess you produce.

I am not getting back into the discussion of how shit SSRR is at searching compared to the competition as you are totally blinkered and unwilling to listen, time and time again you have argued and been proved wrong; your defence has always been random video (despite that having bugger all to do with searching). Now I have managed to throw together a little tool that does the random video shit you are returning to the idea of SSRR being a desktop search tool. 

I am not bothering to implement any of the SSRR searching because Windows 7 does more things better, faster and with less effort (no need to manually maintain indexes etc.), I only did the video thing as it seemed a fun little project and was an excuse to play with WPF 4 and LINQ and allowed me to produce a little tool that provides functionality not present in the base OS. SSRR provides a worse set of functionality that the OS comes with so there is nothing to be gained.

• Your're wrong - couldn't be less right

@spenk said:

I am not bothering to implement any of the SSRR searching because Windows 7 does more things better, faster and with less effort (no need to manually maintain indexes etc.), I only did the video thing as it seemed a fun little project and was an excuse to play with WPF 4 and LINQ and allowed me to produce a little tool that provides functionality not present in the base OS. SSRR provides a worse set of functionality that the OS comes with so there is nothing to be gained.

What makes anyone a good judge of video playback capabilities. Maybe shooting and playing back thousands even 10's of thousands of video. SSDS puts it all at my fingertips.

Who's the best judge of picture archiving AND sharing. I've scanned 5000+ family pics in 2000; (giving / sharing CD copies to everybody interested or not) I have all my posts in this forum saved to JPG and archived by title. These posts won't be around forever. I might just do a screen reshoot of each page of this post then I'll have a more interesting copy - Forever

The Perfect Perfects are in horror when they think about the more better and more perfect ways that the same results can be accomplished along with much much better resolution. Phooie searching for better and more better solutions makes it complex and impossible for the average non-techie and "it-never-gets-done" EVER.  Just yapping from behind a desk is most of the responses I get from the negative side. I didn't Ban myself at channel9. They'll cheat and lie to win any technical debate knowing next to nothing about the subject. They were losing the desktop search debate just like the video forums were losing the video debates. And I get BANNED for 5 years or FOREVER. They just don't want to talk about these points. WHY? -Just "Too Goodies" and PP's taking a whuppin that's all.

I've heard people BRAG (They can transfer this old video format to their computer in no time). Quicker than a Flash I would be doing projection screen reshoots; quickly followed by the playback of sample results - again in MINUTES. This Rinky Dink Solution's results are waaaay easier ,extremely immediate and exciting. Boo the "Too Goodies" and their never never results. Boo.

I've heard this at a pro shop. "Oh! we can put your swing up besides Tiger Woods". I said great can you upload a copy to the net. "Well I haven't used it this year" he mumbled and shuffled awayl All yappitty yap and no real sharing action like SSDS. Not even close. Waaay wide.

There is no way MS or the other searches can touch SSDS. I've had more notes and done more personal search than anybody I came across in my computer career. Used SEARCH seriously since the mid 80's And written a search and people here think they are qualified to make calls about which search is best Again I say "your're wrong - couldn't be less right"

All sounds like my 9 year old great nephew telling me he could do this video and that segment with his camcorder. With less than 2 hours of video under his belt. But he does have a camcorder which was VERY good and I would never give him a discouraging word. I'll get the chance to show him how I did different shots and how some of the best video was captured. I've broke all the video rules. Those that weren't worth a shit broke easily. STILL. I'll let any of you tell me about video because along the way that is how I learn most most of the exciting possibilities for Search, Video and Sharing. NOOooBody shares knowledge like this. Nobody has VIDEO access like this. But you could have. If you just let go of that Perfect Perfect attitude that too many people think is the only way to go. Cuz it isn't. Being a 95 Percent'er is almost too much.

(The Latest:)
    Just LOVE the new GOLF catalogue and Mini-vid functionality for Alien hunting - it's great. Rather that just have video of some cloud who knows where or in what direction. I now shoot an extremely short video 1 to 2 seconds with NO zoom. Showing the direction and altitude of the Cloud. Then I shoot 3 or 4 (30 to 50 sec) clips of the cloud at full zoom. It puts a little more order to my videos. With no specialty software knowledge needed. None.

Save Your video catalog along with the MPG files by burning a backup copy as needed for space. That's IT. Very simple and safe for the long run. Saaaffff Data very safe.

If you are interested in SEARCH go read the great posts on Channel9. Before somehow they mysteriously go missing. Too many good video posts already GONE. The NET is very fleeting.

Having said that; going forward; I'll be more proactive. ((Just practicing my Lord it over you BS Speak.)) Pretty soon I'll be at the PPs level in this pathetic beat around the bush stupid bla bla bla-bla talk.

Next time I'll put all the above in BIG letters for Emphasis!!

Can't touch this Search. Just can't. Whooo Hoooo SSDS

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

They'll cheat and lie to win any technical debate knowing next to nothing about the subject. They were losing the desktop search debate just like the video forums were losing the video debates.

You tell me a single thing channel9 has lied about. I've seen your threads at channel9 before they were removed and it sounded like you were the one yapping about nothing. All you say is "SSDS can't touch this" like some cross between Sasquatch and MC Hammer and gloat about "random random" without saying anything else.

Plus, once again, you arrogantly claim to be the know-it-all about tech and video and say the people at channel9 and video forums don't know anything. For many of these members (unlike you) they develop software for a LIVING, and they shoot video for a LIVING. I have no idea what you do to keep a roof over your head or keep yourself fed, but it's not SSDS... SSDS can't feed your beard much less the rest of you. Your videos of clouds and shady city council meetings wouldn't even make it to an obscure avant-gaurde film festival much less pay your bills. Yet the Perfect-Perfects you speak of who develop software succeed in making money and letting thousands of other people use it and find it useful. The perfect-perfects who shoot video on video forums often sell their videos to people, even if it's at a wedding for a family or a local business commercial.

They have a LOT more to speak for in terms of their success than you. All you do is yap about it and convince a couple people here and there to use it. Face it: You have NOTHING to show for. It might sound cruel and hurtful for me to say it, but it's true. You've gone on forum after forum tooting your own horn showing off your product and NOBODY supports it. Yet you arrogantly think that the hundreds of people you've showed it to are wrong and you are the only person in the universe who is right. Trust me, if you had a good and innovative product to show off, the folks at channel9 and other forums wouldn't delete you threads and ban you.

@SpectateSwamp said:

I have all my posts in this forum saved to JPG and archived by title.

As we've said more times than Earth has circled 'round the sun, saving your forum posts to JPG does NOTHING to help you search your posts. Know what I'd do if I wanted to keep worthwhile posts and threads for future reference?

1.) Go to File -> Save as...

2.) Save the html file to somewhere in My Documents

3.) Use Google Desktop Search or MS Desktop Search to find the file again.

Unlike JPG, it keeps all of the text searchable yet you still retain the "look and feel" of the forum posts, including avatars and other graphics, if you desire to even keep that. If I wanted to save the post I'm writing now, all I'd have to do is recall a snippet of the post I wrote, such as "yap about it" and [BOOM]: There's my saved post. No need to remember the title of the thread or its location of the hard drive, or even to "merge" it into some super-massive text file.

We keep saying this to you and yet you keep saying we're "yapping" about it like a hypocritical moron. YOU'RE the one who started this thread, YOU'RE the one bragging about SSDS... we didn't even create Google DS or MSDS, so there's nothing to brag about. We're simply responding to YOU "yapping" about your most sacred child.

• Hi this is my first post to TDWTF after a year or so of lurking.

SpectateSwamp is easy to explain.

He's out of date with current technology and I'm guessing has never been interested in keeping himself up to date with technology.

Some examples:

• He thinks VB5 is the pinnacle of technology.
    • He thinks Video technology is stuck in the VHS era.
    • He refuses to learn any new skills and insists on using software and APIs that are long out of date.
    • He thinks Spaghetti coding is a style. He's never even heard of patterns or usability.

He suffers from attention deficit disorder
    Some examples:
    • He can't answer a straight question with a straight answer but always wanders off on to another subject.
    • He likes random snippets of random things to be played back in quick succession.
    • He can't hold his attention on one task long enough to learn how to edit video or use any other piece of simple to use software.

He's an attention whore.
    Some examples:
    • He replies to his own posts when no-one else is interested.
    • He refuses to see logic in any argument as long as he's getting attention.
    • Any thing that can even vaguely be twisted to 'his opinion is right' he lords above all other information in a post.

He likes to hide these 'flaws' under the illusion of being lazy or too busy when he is actually neither lazy (the sheer amount of wasted effort he puts into posting on the internet and how much time he wastes 'playing' with videos) nor too busy (he always finds time to reply or create new threads).

So ultimately he doesn't care if his software is good or if he is right as long as people keep talking to him. You'll never get a straight answer out of him because that would defeat the attention he desires.
    If it wasn't for the fact that people here carry a good sense of humour and it's always fun to watch people try and extract sense out of someone who isn't making sense I wouldn't waste my time with this guy either.

So Spectate Swamp you're either a very competent troll and a fairly entertaining one at that or as I really suspect you are a complete and utter numpty attention span deficient attention seeking whore, the very antithesis of a hacker (the real noodle jammers) and have little to no understanding of the real world nor the industry in which you pertain to work.

Keep up the video and the paranoia, I'm sure it will serve you well in achieving your life's goals. Assuming those goals are to achieve as little as possible of worth and to be as ignorant as possible of the world in which you live.

So anyway feature requests...

I'd really like to try out SSDS and see if it is the software for me.

I don't run any version of windows though so VB5 is a sticking point for me and WINE just doesn't cut it for old hacky vb5 applications.

I'd really like it to have VDPAU support (so I can play about 300 hundred mpeg1/2 low resolution streams back at once [ random to the max ]) and of course that means you'll need to port it to VB.NET and come up with some form of VDPAU library for .Net so I can run it under Mono. Any version of VB.Net is cool. If you use V4 though I'll probably have to wait a while for Mono to catch up though. Oh and please try to stay away from Windows specific .Net platform features, such as Windows.Forms. If that's not enough of a challenge for your elite skills then I' be even happier with it in C or C++ because then I can probably compile it natively with a few tweaks and feed back the patches to you. As soon as you've done that let me know and I'll beta test it for you.

In the meantime though I'll use my completely free (as in beer and speech) operating system and all my completely free application software (as in beer and speech) to continue using open format meta data and acceleration to edit, catalogue and play the video I want when I want it in the manner I want and tag it any way I want. As for random random random, yeah a shell script or two will add that functionality to any program I choose. Hey how about random tagging of random videos and random file renaming and even better random transcoding. I can now watch random snippets of random videos that have been randomly renamed and randomly tagged and are in random formats and resolutions. So cool; my random random is now more random than yours and I'm still using an indexing engine how cool is that? and I can play back random random random files and not only that it supports through codecs a list of file formats longer than your code listing. No more mpeg only for me. Woot I am the king of random. I am more random than PinkSpectateSwamp. That now means he is a Pinkie. Come on all you Pinkies you know you want to join us in the random random noodle jam.

kthanksbye or Brillant!

• Re: Your're madder than ever, but not right however.

@SpectateSwamp said:

I've scanned 5000+ family pics in 2000; (giving / sharing CD copies to everybody interested or not) I have all my posts in this forum saved to JPG and archived by title. These posts won't be around forever. I might just do a screen reshoot of each page of this post then I'll have a more interesting copy - Forever
    So what, I have nearly 8000 photos on this laptop, I can search them all from explorer based on time the photo was taken, file name or the keywords I have added with no need for me to maintain an index. If I give a copy of these photos to anyone running any form of desktop search on any platform they would be able to do the same. SSRR requires the user to manually index the whole lot - how is that better?

Why not save the html of the articles rather that a screen shot? At least then they take up less room and are automatically searchable.

@SpectateSwamp said:

projection screen reshoots; quickly followed by the playback of sample results - again in MINUTES.
    Your screen reshoots look like shit though, so that proves nothing more than your methods are slap dash and produce sub-standard results. Yay for you.

@SpectateSwamp said:

There is no way MS or the other searches can touch SSDS.
    They can fucking search for a start, without requiring the user to build an index by hand or completely change the way they work to suit SSRR.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Can't touch this Search. Just can't. Whooo Hoooo SSDS
    Apart from the fact it doesn't actually allow you search anything more than a single text file. 

I would love you to explain a couple of things though....

Firstly - how come you have claimed this is a search tool for ages and then did nothing more than boast of it's video playback, however as soon as I posted a clip showing a tool doing the recap and managed it with nice, clean none crappy code you have gone back to the search nonsense?

Secondly  - how come you never responded to any search challenges then?

Thirdly - how come you still haven't managed to provide a simple step by step guide on how I could search a folder full of source code from SSRR .e.g on my PC all my code is found under the d:\code folder. This has subfolders for various projects and samples etc. If I wanted to search the entire folder structure of approx 3,500 files what steps would I be required to do with SSRR to find all source files in which I have used the IDisposable interface? Currently I cand do this by

1. Opening the d:\code folder in explorer
    2. Typing IDisposable into the textbox in the top right.
    and that is it. Please tell me the steps SSRR would require so I can compare the differences in the amount of effort I would be required to exert.

Finally - please explain why you think spagehtti code is better than well written code. Please refrain from "jamming noodles" in you answer. 

• Does anybody You Know, do video better than "THIS"?

Here's the skinny on HOW to capture slow motion golf swing videos for ALL the participants in a tournament.

We took our 2 camcorders to Hole #2. That TEE had the best lighting and least shade. The Hole runs to the North North East. Quite good for early morning and noon Tee-time Shoots.

For the quickest results follow this simple Videoing recipe.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *AS each 'new' foursome arrives at the TEE:

-Shoot 1 extremely short video clip (1 or 2 seconds max) of the tournament list sheet or white-board with golfer names and Flight# or video the Golfers as they drive up in their Carts.

-Start recording the action when the Golfer addresses the ball.

-Shut off recording as soon as the swing is complete.

-then the next golfer in that foursome.

That's IT.
    ==========

The video software program Does-The-Rest.

The video is uploaded to the Laptop in 5 to 10 minutes. 90+ golf swing clips from each of the 2 CamCorders.

The App's "GOLF" option is selected:
    --a text file is created with dual lines that control the video playback.
    the first text line contains: -- The search line detail and controls for replay. ie

"photo c:\video_0012.mpg 06Sep2010 auto_catalog" (more search details like NAME & SCORE can be added here later)

the 2nd line (the physical location of the video files):
    "xxx.c:\search\video_0012.mpg"    (A mpeg video file called video_0012 on Drive C in a folder called 'Search')

The above tells the software to play the 6 to 8 sec video_0012.mpg Golf Swing Video at REGULAR speed.

What instructs the final 3 seconds (the swing) to play in SLO-MO is a minor addition of control INFO on the 1St line - of the second set of catalog test lines.

This NEW pair of detail text lines has "control info" E.G.:
    " speed=125 " is the replay speed where 1000 is full speed. This 1/8 speed is in reality about 1/10 speed due to computer delay time resulting from the rapid video stops and starts from within the Slo-Mo playback controller.
    " Start==-3000 " is the number of seconds (-3000 indicates 3 secs) from the end of file. where the playback starts.

The computer finds all the videos in the specified directories and automatically creates these 2 sets of lines for each video clip captured from the tournament. So these files are ready to play FULL speed and Slo-Mo for the golfers one after the other....

And the PLAY Begins... On the big screen RANDOMLY by foursomes... The mini clip filmed for each NEW foursome is the BREAK indicator that identifies each new play group as a SET. The computer selects and plays the groups randomly. On the BIG screen. All within 10 minutes of leaving the Course. How fast is that.

(The mini-clip feature allows for easy synchronizing the video from 2 or more CamCorders). Choosing the Golfer's Seq# from His/Her video group; and having just those 2 videos play over and over is a snap.

What Entertainment Value to the golfers as they have their awards meal.
    What GREAT momentos the monogrammed USB STICKS (with vids set to randomly play) will be for them. Everybody will want to SPONSOR a cool gift like that...

All with next-to-NO technicalities. Simple and FAST. Simple is BEST.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/osoyoos_golf.htm    for video samples from the 2 test demo tournaments

• @SpectateSwamp said:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/osoyoos_golf.htm    for video samples from the 2 test demo tournaments

Your web page is invalid HTML and does not render at all in Chromium browser. Learn HTML. Then learn how to fix your web page then come back to me and then maybe you can show me how great your custom video application is.

As it stands with your invalid random HTML (clue number one a start body tag requires an end body tag, clue number two a comment around the entire page will cause it to not render) all I see is a blank white page. The only reason I know it's not really a white page is because I right clicked and chose view source. I can't remember the last time I saw a <CENTER> tag.

P.S. Still waiting for the VB.Net/C/C++ version for *nix

• @pink said:

Your web page is invalid HTML and does not render at all in Chromium browser. Learn HTML. Then learn how to fix your web page then come back to me and then maybe you can show me how great your custom video application is.
    You are forgetting that only"perfect perfects" care about open standards and doing things properly, the normal users don't care about these things and doing it this way is far quicker. After all it is the results that count. Or something. Doesn't work in Firefox either out of interest.

• @spenk said:

@pink said:

You are forgetting that only"perfect perfects" care about open standards and doing things properly, the normal users don't care about these things and doing it this way is far quicker. After all it is the results that count. Or something. Doesn't work in Firefox either out of interest.

Does work in IE8 but the View Source option shows it as one big comment :P

• @spenk said:

@pink said:

Apparently the "result" of "doing it this way" is, as far as an end user is concerned, he has published a blank page and so the "result" also of his video efforts are a big fat "> /dev/null" to the typical end user.

All of his (small amount of) effort has then been wasted unless you use software that is as scrappy as his (and IE is scrappy).

At work we have two standards we work to for web applications. IE and then all the other browsers. Then we break IE down into works in IE6, works in IE7 and works in IE8. Admittedly the situation with IE is improving with fewer changes needed for working code in IE7 to work in IE8, but we still have to code explicitly for IE in a number of situations even though we use object detection as our primary means of establishing functionality of the browser. Telling clients to run in 'compatibility view' is not an answer we are happy with.

I guess quirks mode is appropriate for any output from PinkSpectateSwamp as it's a great way of getting randomness in browser output. I just don't find randomness to be conducive to productivity and strangely I find consistent approaches to be very productive. Guess it must just be (me + the rest of the world ) - SpectateSwamp = living in this reality

• @XIU said:

@spenk said:

@pink said:

Does work in IE8 but the View Source option shows it as one big comment :P

Why does it not surprise me that IE renders a comment as the page content in quirks mode :).

I'm slightly curious as to how Firefox handles it in quirks mode. I'm guessing that Firefox doesn't automatically jump into quirks mode because of the document declaration at the top of the page. Or it could just be that even in quirks mode Firefox still doesn't render comments as content. Without testing explicitly for each and every scenario there's no way to know. And that's why standards are good and randomness is bad unless explicitly requested (E.G. shuffle).

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Here's the skinny on HOW to capture slow motion golf swing videos for ALL the participants in a tournament.

And here's how the rest of the world do it iSwing video

And without even leaving the current hole and with far more options and with one device that fits in your pocket. How novel.