Internet Explorer identity crisis



  •  I recently took this at work. Yes, that's IE6, IE7, and IE8 running on the same computer at the same time, without virtualization. What, you haven't heard about [url=http://finalbuilds.edskes.net/iecollection.htm]The IE Collection[/url]?

    [url=http://tinypic.com/r/ipblvq/4](linky; this bugger's HUGE)[/url]

    <embed src="http://tinypic.com/i/input.swf" mce_src="http://tinypic.com/i/input.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="" id="flash-html-code" bgcolor="transparent" quality="high" name="flash-html-code" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" swliveconnect="true" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="ipt=%5BIMG%5Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fi38.tinypic.com%2Fipblvq.png%5B%2FIMG%5D&amp;trk=copy_details_img" height="19" width="262">

    So IE7 thinks it's IE8, and gives IE6's User-Agent. Okay...

     (I later did some investigation, and it seems the UA thing was just caching. It DOES render like IE7 i.e. all the bugs are there so it serves my purpose.)



  • Careful.. we found hacks like this and MultipleIEs don't quite cut it because they have to hack about with the registry so much - VMs are the only way to go for browser testing.



  • http://finalbuilds.edskes.net/iecollection.htm: "Warning: Never use Internet Explorer as primary browser."

    That's all I need to see on a website to know that I shouldn't be visiting it.

    Also, TRWTF is you thinking that doing something that's totally unsupported is a WTF. It's hardly a surprise things are a bit weird and don't look right. Enjoy your random IE crashes on JavaScript heavy sites from now on.





    Edit: Tinypic will apparently sell you mugs that can render animated GIFs. Do want.



  • Cute, they work with IE developer toolbar. I'm betting the same as everyone else for stability though.

    I usually use [url=http://my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage]IE Tester[/url] which is crashy as hell.



  • @roothorick said:

    Great! IE6, IE7, and IE8 running on the
    same computer at the same time, without virtualization! Here's a link!
    It is so quirky it's not usable for any kind of serious
    testing!

     

    (I took a few liberties with your post)

    What was your point again?

     



  • There's a link to another good daily dose of crazy on that IE Collection site, too: Edskes Software Silent Setup for Mozilla Firefox



  • @db2 said:

    There's a link to another good daily dose of crazy on that IE Collection site, too: Edskes Software Silent Setup for Mozilla Firefox
     

    Impressive amount of "awards" at the bottom. What's that article again where a dude posts a completely empty executable to many of such software sites and receives a 5 star rating from most of them?



  • My favorite line:

    Since it always works and is very simple to use, you can include it on
    your website, so you don't have to code for non-standard compliant
    browsers anymore.

    Because that's the way web development works: Forcing users to install software so you don't have to develop cross-platform. Whew. That makes my job so much easier.



  • @dhromed said:

    @db2 said:

    There's a link to another good daily dose of crazy on that IE Collection site, too: Edskes Software Silent Setup for Mozilla Firefox
     

    Impressive amount of "awards" at the bottom.

    Saw them myself and thought "I wonder how many of those sites are still up and running?"

    @dhromed said:

    What's that article again where a dude posts a completely empty executable to many of such software sites and receives a 5 star rating from most of them?

     This one? http://successfulsoftware.net/2007/08/16/the-software-awards-scam/

     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.